Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers > Tech - FAQ
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Denver Lock out hubs CJ2A 47

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robert.tenbusch@yaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Denver Lock out hubs CJ2A 47
    Posted: 02 July 2020 at 1:19am
Have a 47 CJ2a With what appears to be a Warn style lock out hub. DENVER is stamped on the "switch" or actuator (possibly wrong nomenclature) Need a schematic. Have a slight oil leak at the switch and believe it to be an "O" ring issue. What do I have and is there a source for these "O" rings?

Edited by robert.tenbusch@yaho - 02 July 2020 at 2:23am
USMC 69-72
robert.tenbusch@yaho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robert.tenbusch@yaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 2:21am
Update the DENVER (Pt Pending) stamped on the cover not the switch/actuator. it also Has LOCK FREE stamped on the housing. Any Ideas what I have?
USMC 69-72
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 2:21am
Can you post a picture of the hub?
That would help identify what it is.
Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 2:42am
Try this web page and see if it's the one you have.

1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robert.tenbusch@yaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 2:43am
New phone, with the picture, and new computer. Haven't had any luck transfering photos, but will keep trying. this lock out has all the appearance of a WARN, but has DENVER with (Pt. Pending) stamped underneath DENVER and LOCK over the word FREE along with the usual IN OUT stamps. 6 cap screws and two blade style screws hold the cap on. Hopefully, I can figure out how to import a picture.
USMC 69-72
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 2:49am
Robert-Check out the link I posted. It might save you from having to post a photo.

Tim
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robert.tenbusch@yaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 2:50am
Tim,
That is exactly what I have! Thanks! Now to find a parts source. Repairs seem straight forward. Think I only need to "O" rings.

Bob

Edited by robert.tenbusch@yaho - 02 July 2020 at 3:03am
USMC 69-72
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 3:04am
Glad I could be of help.
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 3:45am
  They are “FREE LOCK” hubs. They were made in Denver. I have had some apart but don’t remember if they had an o-ring on the selector. 
  A search should get you plenty of info on them. They were advertised as the easiest to operate. But there was a cast aluminum wrench to turn them with. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robert.tenbusch@yaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 3:55am
BW,
   Thx. Mine also has a slot in the center. I'm told that may be used to engage/disengage to wheel. the hub works fine, just leaks axle fluid a little. It is leaking around the selector.
USMC 69-72
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 4:04am
  There shouldn’t be any axle fluid out there. If there is, it has contaminated the knuckle lube and has or will do the same for the wheel bearings. Just a touch of grease on the FREE LOCK’s internals to lube and prevent rust is all that should be needed. 
Oh, wait - there is a roller bearing in there that probably should be packed like a wheel bearing. 
  I followed the posted link and read the info. There’s more to FREE LOCK hubs than I was aware of!
BW 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robert.tenbusch@yaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 1:33pm
Thanks for the info on the axle fluid. Will double check to make sur that is what it is. Guess it could be a bad hub seal. As I can not find a parts source for this type of lock out, I may have to replace them. They do work great though!
USMC 69-72
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by robert.tenbusch@yaho robert.tenbusch@yaho wrote:

T I may have to replace them.

I'd think 2x about that.. If you do, however, you'll find lots of guys just like me lined up to take those nasty old hubs off your hands..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 1:48pm
 I remember them from years ago. As far as bearings and o rings go, find a good Industrial supply place.
john

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robert.tenbusch@yaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2022 at 9:27pm
Does anyone have a tear down schematic Of a Denver Lock out hubs? Drivers side will not fully engage all the way. Right side moves to easy, don't think it's engaging and leaks. Tires are hard to turn when on jack stands, possible brakes adjusted to tight? Any advice would be appreciated.
USMC 69-72
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2022 at 5:57am
http://www.ewillys.com/2021/09/09/free-lock-hubs/

Does not look too complicated in this picture:

Not much other info out on the web.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robert.tenbusch@yaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2022 at 3:46pm
Does anyone have spare parts for a Free-Lock (Denver) lock out hubs. I have a broken cog on one wheel. they seem to be made of brass. Can it be welded? May just go back to locked in standard hubs as a backup as I do not run the roads a lot, just local maybe 10-15 miles. Appreciate the help!
USMC 69-72
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2022 at 3:57pm
  I have a couple of sets of Free-Lock hubs whose condition I don’t know. Ill take a look and see if I have a “parts” hub. 
BW 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>