Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Detail question for VEC experts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Detail question for VEC experts
    Posted: 10 June 2021 at 9:48pm
This is for my '46  2A,  # 18907. 

I've pulled off my headlight rims, and going to paint them body color. They were black when it came to me recently. I've been welding up the excess holes all over the body, and I need these off to get at a couple holes in the grille.

(The Jeep is currently not the correct Pasture Green anyway, so I'll end up painting them again later, when I repaint the vehicle - but for now, it just bugs me having them be black....)

So while I'm working in the grille area, here's my question. The little parking lights - are they properly body color, or black? In Aurora, I noticed Lowenuf's '45 had black ones (as well as others). Just want to do it right.

Thanks!

Edited by Vintage Don - 10 June 2021 at 9:50pm
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2021 at 9:55pm
  You can bet your lunch against what that dog is leaving in the park across the street, and feel safe doing it, that whatever’s on lowenuf’s ‘45 is correct. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Vintage Don View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2021 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

You can bet your lunch against what that dog is leaving in the park across the street, and feel safe doing it, that whatever’s on lowenuf’s ‘45 is correct. 
BW 

Hahaha! So I'll put you down for a "maybe...."

But that's pretty much what I figured, too. 

Edited by Vintage Don - 10 June 2021 at 10:22pm
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2021 at 10:34pm

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
Dutch 1960 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch 1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2021 at 10:44am
The parking light housings on my VEC are original and untouched.  Semi-gloss black bezels and housings.  Also the little cast bases under them, which are very fragile, if you are messing around with them.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2021 at 1:13pm
Thanks for the link to that color chart, russnj. I had found that previously but had failed to save it - now I've got it.

And Dutch 1960, thank you for that confirmation.

Bruce W, I was pretty sure Mike / Lowenuf had it right - but his is a '45, VERY early - my concern was just to be sure that was still the case in my time frame (March-ish? 1946). I was bugging Lowenuf several times at Aurora about VEC stuff - he was incredibly helpful. I just didn't get this particular question asked!

Edited by Vintage Don - 11 June 2021 at 1:14pm
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2021 at 1:57pm
Vintage Don said: “ Bruce W, I was pretty sure Mike / Lowenuf had it right - but his is a '45, VERY early - my concern was just to be sure that was still the case in my time frame (March-ish? 1946). I was bugging Lowenuf several times at Aurora about VEC stuff - he was incredibly helpful. I just didn't get this particular question asked!”
  You’re right, there may be a difference between his and yours. I’m not up on the very early / early details. I know some of the changes but I don’t know when they were made. Most of my knowledge is in the ‘47 - ‘49 range. 
  Being a 99% Purist myself, I like what you’re doing. Keep up the good work!
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Dutch 1960 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch 1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2021 at 2:27pm
Don, my VEC is#20xxx, so it is very close to yours.  Not earlier, but not much later.
kingcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2021 at 12:01am

Yep my 17167 VEC has the same black light housings.
chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2021 at 6:11am
Somewhere on this forum is a color list for all parts on a 2A w adjustments to the list as changes were made during production. I want to say Sean posted it. 

When I replaced the wiring harness on my jeep, I decided to paint the parking light bezel holders.  Based on the list Sean (??) posted, I painted my parking light bezel holders glossy black.  The original factory color was “Americar Black” … a “glossy black”. 

Both parking light bodies on my jeep retain the original color (I painted bezel holder only), and they’re black … but no longer glossy after 75 years.   

BTW, my jeep is #13396 and is, as far as I can tell, identical to a ‘45. 

Your jeep looks great. Enjoy.

Edited by chris - 12 June 2021 at 6:25am
chris

2A #13396
chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2021 at 8:34am
Regarding my post above in reference to a “list” of colors for 2A parts.  I think this might be what I used when I painted my parking light bezels.  

From Sean’s 2A page.

Hope it helps. 

http://www.cj-2a.com/oldsite/techtips/finishes/index.html

chris

2A #13396
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2021 at 8:51am
Great info, great replies, many thanks! Very useful stuff.

And from the Serial Numbers stated above, they actually are just before and just after my own, perfectly bracketing my CJ. So that's absolute proof for mine, obviously.
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2021 at 8:24pm
When I first saw mine, back about 1954 or 5 it had already been poorly repainted several times.
I did find faded Pasture green under the headlight rings.
That's about as much as I know about that.
1946 CJ2A 14098
 Post Reply Post Reply