Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Diesel engine help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diesel engine help
    Posted: 10 Nov. 2018 at 8:13pm
I'm trying to get my Kubota V2203 engine hooked up.  I'm putting it in front of a GM TH350 transmission.  The adapter plate and flexplate from Greg Margison at Overland Diesel are in place and I'm playing with playing with bolting up the torque converter.  I can rotate the engine crankshaft almost one full turn, but then it just stops dead.  I can turn it back around and it stops again as I get back to where I started.  So I tokk the trans back off again, but I can't see anything stopping the flexplate.  Is this normal for a diesel?  The only thing I have done to the engine is replace the exhaust manifold, add motor mounts to the bottom of the engine using the pre-existing, dead end holes, add the adapter to the rear of the engine, and add the adapter to the end of the crankshaft.  Any body got any ideas?   I guess I start stripping off the adapters and hope that frees things up.  I'd hate the idea of taking apart the engine looking for a dropped bolt or something.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2018 at 3:12am
I found my engine stop.  It had nothing to do with the fine adapters I got from Overland.  Greg, by the way, got back with me immediately when I emailed him and had several helpful suggestions.  Turns out, it was a small pile of rust and tiny metal chunks on the top of the #1 piston.   Like I told Greg, I would love to blame to someone else for my issue, but I think this was probably collateral damage from my epic battle with the rusted on exhaust manifold.  No harm except for a new head gasket.  And a lost weekend.

Edited by bobevans - 12 Nov. 2018 at 3:14am
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2018 at 8:53pm
Glad it was not more serious. :)

Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Mr. Vic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2019 at 2:44am
Oh my gosh!  I had the EXACT  same problem a week ago with mine!!  I have the head gasket on order now.  That is so strange.  Same little pile of rust, but mine was on number 3.  When I purchased it a year ago, it spun freely and has been in my garage on a stand since then.  I had chocked it up to a freak occurrence until I saw your post.  
'46 CJ2A
'60 Willys Wagon
'61 Econoline P/U
'29 Model A
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 1:36am
Mine also turned freely when I first got it. It sat on an engine stand for several months. I really didn't try to turn it over until I was hooking up the flexplate and that's when I found that it wouldn't turn over all the way. Again, I had a pretty serious battle with the old exhaust manifold and I will say it was probably my fault for allowing debris to fall in to the engine.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2019 at 9:59pm
Bob, I’m just seeing this now! I’m glad you got it all figured out and that it isn’t too serious! 
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 9:09pm
How hard is it to turn over one of these by hand? Do you need a cheater, or you spin by hand on flywheel?
Thanks
Jay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2019 at 7:07pm
I pulled the head this morning. With a three foot cheater it still won't turn!! I think I bought a boat anchor!!! On to the next one!!
Thanks
Jay

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2019 at 3:06am
Jay, what a bummer! Finally start turning wrenches and they won't turn the engine. Good Luck.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2019 at 3:55am
Thanks. The good news is that there are parts on it for the other engine I have. It will also make a nice anchor for a small boat!!
Jay
 Post Reply Post Reply