Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Suggestions and Comments for the forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Discussion about moving to new forum software

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Discussion about moving to new forum software
    Posted: 05 May 2021 at 1:48pm
Hi All

The time has come for us to move the forum to new software. The current software is no longer being updated so we must make a decision on a new software platform. I'm sure some of you are also members on other forums so I would like to get your feed back on which forum seems to be easiest to work with? Please post a link to the site you like the best (beside here! Smile) I would like to make this change within the next month or so.

Thank you
Russ

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
Vintage Don View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 2:12pm

I am a frequent user of this forum, OldWillysForum,  and G503, as well as some other brands/makes.

Agreed, this site is difficult and cumbersome in many ways, especially for sharing photos.

I find OldWillysForum to be by far the most "User-friendly."

The link to it is: OldWillysForum.com

Edited by Vintage Don - 05 May 2021 at 2:40pm
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 2:23pm
I frequent:

all are ran on Zenforo.

I do like the functionality of the Forums, can't speak to anything in particular I like or dislike, although photos are easy to deal with.

I also frequent https://www.chevyk5blazer.com/forums/forum.php but its on vBulletin

Again no likes/dislikes on this system.

https://cj3apage.com/Forum/index.php is ok too but its on a third system Simple Machines

I'm sure cost could also be a factor.

Not sure how the Moderator access works on any of them.

Found this too on reviews and looks like there are some open source free ones: https://websitesetup.org/best-forum-software/

Edited by 48cj2a - 05 May 2021 at 2:31pm
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 2:29pm
Questions: 

What will happen to all of the content created on the current platform?

By updating, do we risk losing all of this technical content that has helped us all so much?

I am sure everyone would like a newer format and we all understand the challenges involved, I'm just curious more than anything else.  Not trying to "provoke" a response.

Instagram #flatfenderpope

My Build
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 2:46pm
Looks like we are "forced" to change software but since we are being "forced" I am glad that user opinion is being asked about a new software.

The most trouble I have had is being able to post pictures on the current forum. There are times when showing a picture on the forum is the same as a "thousand words" when trying to explain something. I had all but given up being able to post pictures on here. Nothing seemed to work right.

Please make this a consideration when choosing new software.

If I need to donate money to make this happen, I will do so. This forum has been invaluable in the restoration of Ol' Red and the required maintenance issues for keeping her on the trail are often covered by other users that have already been through the problems that I encounter. I don't want to lose that.

I also like the ability to Private Message other users. Don't lose that feature.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Boomer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 2:54pm
I agree with the picture posting problems that seam to show up with me.   Iv been trying to post a couple pics this am and nothing seam to go throu.   I know im no help in picking a new software provider but I just hope it makes pic posting a lot easer... tks
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Pope891 Pope891 wrote:

Questions: 

What will happen to all of the content created on the current platform? It will be carried over to the new platform. I am going to be using a company to convert all data to the new platform.

By updating, do we risk losing all of this technical content that has helped us all so much? No, everything will be moved over.

I am sure everyone would like a newer format and we all understand the challenges involved, I'm just curious more than anything else.  Not trying to "provoke" a response. Glad you asked!

Here are the answers that I have above in Bold.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 3:47pm
I've never had much of an issue posting pics from a third party host, currently mywillyspics, but the scars left on good threads from the demise of previous pic hosting providers is rampant with a lot of older threads...  hoping the current photo links make the jump.  Piling on SEK's a picture is worth a thousand words, just a couple broken links can leave a void
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 4:02pm
Russ, Thanks for asking. I also am willing to put in some $$ to help if needed.

I have not posted pictures as it is too much of a hassle & I will not waste any more of my time trying to figure it out.

Thanks for insuring that none of the valuable content is lost. I really appreciate that. The pictures that we now have are especially important.

I can not thank you enough for your work on this forum. I wish I could.

Thanks again, Matt W.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 4:48pm
I'm not having the picture post problems everyone else seems to be having but I have a process I use that works for me and the biggest thing is I'm not using 'smart phone' technology to post therefore no "I can't post from my phone" problems.

Using the process I use there is a whole cache of pictures in the File Manager. I understand that you say the data ( including images within threads) will transfer over.....my concern is with the File pictures, what happens to them?

Sure hate changes but I guess its inevitable. Cry

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 7:06pm
As many on here know I’ve spent many years and many hours both moderating and visiting several of the early jeeps sites.
It is the members who make this site, so thanks for seeking out member feedback.
I am in hopes that someday all early Jeep sites might unite into a single forum utilizing the “Willys Group Index” for a standardized formatting. I tried to implement that many years past yet no one seems to truly grasp the importance.

I don’t have time to visit all the many forums.
I , like so many must pick and choose from the many sites that best represent my interests.
It’s a real toss up for me.
My main interests leans heavily toward the cj3 models yet that particular forum remains relatively inactive.
Perhaps due to the formatting, I give up /idk.

I do like much of the existing formatting here on the 2A Page and am equally interested in the ECJ5 formatting and topics.
Thanks again for asking....
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 8:23pm
I was a moderator on a vBulletin forum for a long time (hondacivicforum) and it's an alright forum software. Easy to use, etc etc. The admin panel was a bit daunting though. The newest versions are a bit different than I'm used to as well. Also used a phpBB based forum a decade ago but I'm not up to date on current versions of it.

I'm sure that whoever runs the forum is tech savvy... but backups. Then backups of the backup. Then an offsite backup of the backed up backup.

:)

(I do IT work and stress it everywhere I can.)

Edited by WellFedHobo - 05 May 2021 at 8:25pm
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 12:21am
Well that makes me a little sad that it had to change. I actually really like the simplicity of this particular forum and how clean the interface is.  If i were to vote i would say go to the platform that EarlyCJ5.com uses as it is also pretty good. Post up a thread to take donations for the data migration and i will chip in. 
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 4:45am
Russ,
I'm happy to chip in on the change as well. How?
John
'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 7:20am
Hi All

A little update and I am happy people are discussing this.

I was thinking the earlycj5 is a good software to use as well. I will begin getting a price on the conversion and post when I have it. The conversion company will setup a "test" forum that we can try out before we convert.

Keep on posting!
Thanks!
Russ

Fallguy173 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallguy173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 11:42pm
Thank you for the work you do. I don't visit a bunch of forums, but I have been on many over the years. I would love to post more pictures as well, but the third party aspect has been rough for me lately. I'm not sure why. I would also gladly chip in, as I still have a lot to learn, and I hate getting something for nothing. 
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 12:12am
Vote for Early CJ5 as well.  Thanks Russ!
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 12:22am
The 2a page is secure,  the Early CJ5 page is not.  I do not know what makes that happen.  Just something I noticed.  I get on the 2a page more than other Jeep pages.

64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.

To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>