Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Suggestions and Comments for the forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Discussion about moving to new forum software

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 1:22am
I 2nd vBulletin software. The majority of forums I'm on use it. Very user-friendly, modern, and appears to have a strong company backing it. Similar to early CJ5

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 11:53am
I have had no problems with this forum, but understand well why upgrades are needed when running on an unsupported platform.

The forums I frequent are of course this one, the ECJ5 Forum, and the G503 forum.

The one I am on depends on which project I am currently involved in. I am wrapping up work on the CJ2A, and now working on a CJ5 if that is a clue.

I like the ECJ5 forum because it gives alerts when someone likes and responds to your post both on the forum and through an email. I also like that you can upload pictures in two different ways either as an inserted image or an uploaded file. I do not know what platform that forum uses. 

BTW - I just retired from 45 years as a software engineer. Most of my experience is with mainframe COBOL but also developed and supported several distributed applications in the past. I have no experience with website development but a great deal of experience in coding various languages. My area of expertise was in various relational database development, trouble shooting and tuning, such as SQL Server, DB2, and Teradata. If any of this sounds helpful I would be glad to volunteer.   
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 12:45pm
I've never actually had difficulty posting photos on this site. I like the fact that I can pull them off my hard drive instead of having to host them on the web.

I am also on earlycj5, G503, willysmjeeps, and oldwillysforum under other screen names.

I find oldwillys forums easiest to use. I can open any image on my computer (or other sites), take a screen shot, and paste directly into the text box in the message. It means I have 10X more time to contribute something meaningful without having to edit and format images. I realize that freedom has a downside if visitors decide not to behave.

I'm probably doing something wrong on the earlycj5 page because even when I am logged in, I can't view most pictures.

I just appreciate finding a place that like-minded people can visit without alot of spam and dramas

I like Oldtime's suggestion of formatting using the Willys parts nomenclature, but that's alot of work, and it seems we have a large number of first timers here that may find it more time consuming.

It might be time to consider separate sections for Factory correct, vintage mods, modified, and resto mods. Selfishly that will save me 50% of my time. I'm interested in all of them, but there are just so many posts on disc brake conversions I can read in my lifetime.

I know I've harped on this before, but google is your friend, it can find most anything if it is on the web no matter how the site is organized. Search engines can only find data that has been posted. So the easier it is to post, the more likely google can find it.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 12:52pm
In the last couple of weeks I sometimes have trouble viewing pictures others have posted on the ECJ5 site. It says I must be logged in to do that, even when I am logged in. Usually if I log out and back in I can view them, so it is likely some bug in the authentication code which is always subject to attack by hacking attempts.

That site has been down this morning for some sort of maintenance they say is a "knuckle pudding change" so maybe that issue is one getting a fix.

One thing I like better about this site is you have to be logged in to view classified adds. That cuts down on scammers, but doesn't eliminate them as they just have to register as a new user to get in. 

Some sites require require a period of time for a new user to be established as a contributor before allowing access to certain features such as classified sections. I think that is something worth considering.

Edited by Oldpappy - 08 May 2021 at 12:56pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 2:31pm
The 3B Forum ran into this a few years back.  The switch to Tapatalk "seemed" good at the time.  Then they pulled the rug out and we couldn't even pull our archives to move elsewhere.  

We joined the 3A Forum (at least for me the 3A/3B similarity seemed logical.  Derek asked for a lot of input from everyone before the move) and the hosts there have been very accommodating and helpful.  I do like the ability to post images two ways there too.

Good luck with your choice on where to go from here.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 2:59pm
Another thing I like here (subjective opinion, I know) is just the overall 'look' of this forum, if that makes any sense versus the others.

I know that wasn't necessarily constructive but just wanted to throw that out there.....Russ, I appreciate what you've done here and realize it can't stay the same forever......changes are inevidable ( though dreaded by some of us old timers that are somewhat computer challenged) 

Life goes on. Thumbs Up
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 4:27pm
i am somewhat new here so others opinions much outweigh mine. i like this forum for several reasons, primarily the helpful, dedicated participants without drama. and the simplicity of the format. no real problems with the pics on my end. 

i will not visit forums with ads or that are not mac/apple friendly. 
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 5:01pm
Keep it simple!, I follow many forums, on several different topics, this one is one of the best 👍🏿 ..... I have no issues posting photo’s on her with my decrepit old PC that I dispise, but prefer my iPad, that seems to be a PIA to post photo’s, perhaps I’ve never spent the time to figure it out so that’s my bad ..... I have no issues with Pro-Board forums I have not heard mention of that on this thread ?. ... Whatever path you choose we will follow, like I said keep it simple and don’t clutter it up with layers of topics. The 3A/3B forum I find a bit challenging to follow as everything looks the same. Steel Soldiers is the worst for me Best Wishes on your search Russ 👍🏿👍🏿👍🏿👍🏿👍🏿

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 5:14pm
I would prefer a forum with no commercial advertising as I find it distracting. I realize that it helps pay for the site operation, but I would just as soon have a call for contributions when they are needed to operate the forum.

JMHO

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 08 May 2021 at 5:16pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by 64CJ5 64CJ5 wrote:

The 2a page is secure,  the Early CJ5 page is not.  I do not know what makes that happen.  Just something I noticed.  I get on the 2a page more than other Jeep pages.

That's the SSL certificate for the site. It tells your browser to use encryption for its connections to this site. EarlyCJ5 doesn't have one.

I'm glad to know Russ takes the initiative and adds the SSL cert. I hadn't really noticed until you mentioned it.
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 7:29am
The 2a page has been, for me, the simplest to use and most stable site of the Jeep forums.  I've never gotten notifications from the EarlyCJ5 board and I'm never quite sure of photo posting. They may be user error rather than a software issue.

I am sure the success of the 2a page has a lot more to do with Russ and the other moderators than with the software.  But hopefully, you can find a package they works well for all involved.

Barry
https://www.farmjeep.com/
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 9:16am
The way I see and understand it is that Russ is performing the duty as the primary administrator.
His duties are to keep the site up to date and operational.
I have seen less down time and problems with this site than any other that I’ve used.
So it appears to me to that either he is either well qualified and highly proficient or just plain lucky.
Some forums utilize an assistant administrator to help control the influx of new members.
So the admin and their assistants essentially function as the office workers.
The position of the moderator is to regulate and guide the conversations making certain that the conversations are relative and on topic.
Ideally the moderator should have control concerning the formatting or arranging of the forum profile.
A moderator is much more proactive and reactive and therefore is more frequently having input and direct contact with the online members.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Chicodave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 3:03pm
I am a member of oldwillysforum.com and used it a lot in the past when I was on my 51 truck project. Started using this board when I got a cj3a.  I found the Oldwillysforum to be easier to use, but the people here are great. 
1949 CJ3a "Crap Game"
1951 Willys Truck
1950 Studebaker 2R5
1952 Chevy 3100 5 window
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 5:24am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

The way I see and understand it is that Russ is performing the duty as the primary administrator.
His duties are to keep the site up to date and operational.
I have seen less down time and problems with this site than any other that I’ve used.
So it appears to me to that either he is either well qualified and highly proficient or just plain lucky.
Some forums utilize an assistant administrator to help control the influx of new members.
So the admin and their assistants essentially function as the office workers.
The position of the moderator is to regulate and guide the conversations making certain that the conversations are relative and on topic.
Ideally the moderator should have control concerning the formatting or arranging of the forum profile.
A moderator is much more proactive and reactive and therefore is more frequently having input and direct contact with the online members.

To try to answer some of your questions.

I was a systems administrator for about 20+ years so I understand about keeping things up to date and maintenance of the overall setup. There are 3 other moderators on the forum that help out. The website hosting company/guy has done a great job of maintaining the servers for the site over the years and keeping the forum software safe, as he is the guy who started Web Wiz forums. I am sure luck has played into keeping things running along the way too! Thumbs Up 

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 5:43pm
  It seems just a tad more difficult to post pictures here than on the ecj5 site, in my opinion. That's the only thing I see that I'd like to see maybe addressed. Even on ecj5, resizing pics is is sometimes necessary. Kind of a pain. It would be nice to just put pics up like click, click, click but I don't know what that entails. I dig ditches and stuff so website building is not in my wheelhouse. I'm not even sure I can USE these websites correctly so, this problem may well be just my ignorance. 

And if I may, I'd like to thank you for running this place so well and taking it's users thoughts and ideas into consideration. Wish my boss could bring himself to do that even just once in a while. So, thank you.
Dagha Boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dagha Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 9:38am
I am brand new so feel a bit cheecky doing this as my first post. I have just completed a Land Cruiser HJ45 build which would not have been possible without IH8MUD.com. Also had a build thread on there from start to finish. A very easy site to use, with the following detail on the programming they use.  Community platform by XenForo® © 2010-2021 XenForo Ltd.

WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 9:18pm
Any decisions made on this?
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 6:53am
I am in the process of getting pricing on the conversion and making sure as many of details are thought of as I can. Looks like Xenforo will be the new software.

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>