Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Suggestions and Comments for the forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Discussion about moving to new forum software

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 7:08am
Will we have 1/3 of the screen full of ads like ih8mud.com ?
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 10:25am
Keith,

earlycj5 and oldwillys forums have zero ads so it is possible to be ad free for a cost.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Hi Keith
Why would we have ads?

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Members donate funds for hosting and such as needed, so they've never needed to run ads to generate revenue to cover costs. That's one of the perks of this place. 
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 10:24pm
OK, my bad assumption. I visited ih8mud.com for a prolonged period and it was very annoying.
If it's like oldwillys forum that's a good thing.
Libby007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libby007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2021 at 7:39pm
I just got here but I do like
Stovebolt chevy's forum
And 
Vintage Ford Forum
both are pretty easy to use
Just my 2 cents
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2021 at 2:26pm
Whatever decision gets made about the format change, it would be nice if the photo orientation issue could be resolved. Even if I spin the photo every which way in my files, it still posts it 90 degrees off if it wasn't taken with the phone horizontal.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2021 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Whatever decision gets made about the format change, it would be nice if the photo orientation issue could be resolved. Even if I spin the photo every which way in my files, it still posts it 90 degrees off if it wasn't taken with the phone horizontal.

X2!!!!!
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2021 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

I think it is not a problem on the new software.

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2021 at 11:54am
  Hi Russ,
     I joined this site early 2018 after purchasing my current '46 cj2a in December 2017.
I have had a wonderful experience sharing my hobby work on this site and communicating directly with other members w/ pm emails.  I never would have guessed there is so much to learn about differences between years of civilian jeeps, until I began reading forum threads.

I have become an active member of Old Willys Forum a few years back and there is an active group of members here in northern California, so very fun to be within driving distance to be able to visit in person with nearby members.  let the good times roll !
    I haven't spent any time on the "earlycj5" forum until last week i popped in to see Rodney's photos of his cj5 build, and i cannot See any photos as a non-member.   So, it appears that i must join as a member just to view project-build photos.    I can't say i like that feature of the earlycj5 forum.

Having worked in an office using cadd software for mapping i began making microsoft "Word" documents where you could attach into the doc the photos of interest as the doc report progressed (like a thread where the member graphically shows his engine re-furb with photos).
I liked being able to re-size the photos to fit the document, (page size 8.5"x 11") for easy printing for those individual's wishing to have a "hands-on" copy to follow along while in their shop.  And the doc can be printed at a larger format  11"x 17" for easier reading for us old-geezers.    ha
I thought it to be a great idea, because i could edit my text at my leisure oustide of the forums, and when done, i post a hot-link for anyone to save to a flash-drive (thumb-drive) for Backup if desired.
The curse of this idea, is now-a-days we must purchase Windows 365 and pay a monthly fee to have the use of micorsoft Word.    :(      _ _ my big idea fizzled away like steam evaporating.

Because i had been actively doing my own personal 2x-to-4x conversions on Ford Vans and '70's vintage Ford CrewCab's, i wanted to share my fabrication methods with other users wishing to do a conversion.   I recently joined Ford-Trucks to share my current Do-Over on my Chateau wagon.  What I find annoying is the constant ad-in-my-face, which drives me knuts when trying to digest a thread post.   i don't have answers, but as a "for-instance" is the thread for early Ford Crewcab pickups in the year range 73-79.   The Crewcab thread is not broken down into categories, but One Long Thread containing 275-plus pages.   How many hours do i sift through that many pages without doing a 'search' to find some information specific to my current thought or concern.   Seems awkward. 

Now-a-days with the "Cloud" our personal data is stored somewhere else rather than on our device ?

I am not cloud savy, but i asked a repair guy about all the photos on my iphone, and he said they don't reside on my phone anymore, but on the cloud, and my phone just "see's" them.

My method of Resizing photos for attaching to a thread is to navigate to the photo file on my laptop hard-drive.  Then I double-click the desired photo to open it, which will open in a photo viewer.
Next, i right click on the image, which allows me the option of Re-Sizing to a smaller size.  After the smaller image file is created, I then edit the file name adding "Resized" in text so I know that photo is the smaller version to upload into the forum thread.     I added this hoping maybe it may assist someone who has difficulty managing photo size.    just my method.    thanks

I too, am a member of an interest forum for each of my vehicles in my "fleet" and like mentioned earlier some platforms may require photos to be posted elsewhere and we must provide a Link for members to see the photos (Flickr - Smugmug,  Photobucket,  Cloud?).
I am not cloud savy _ _ _ yet, and if there is a way we can benefit somehow by using the Cloud, here in the forums, i am All-eyes.

Before i forget -  forum Postings which have numbers on the individual threads seems handy for referring to specific information with questions to other members.

my .02

Len
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2021 at 12:01pm
So, on ecj5, the member controls who can see his pictures and who cannot in his/her privacy settings. However, I am not sure if a non-member can see them, ever. I think it can be set that you could see them but I am not sure about it. I sort of like that privacy option myself. 
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2021 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by wheelie wheelie wrote:

So, on ecj5, the member controls who can see his pictures and who cannot in his/her privacy settings. However, I am not sure if a non-member can see them, ever. I think it can be set that you could see them but I am not sure about it. I sort of like that privacy option myself. 

This is also helpful for the site itself since it reduces the amount of bandwidth and data that the site has to feed to non members. Think about Google Bots and the like for search engines and you can see how that could add up to a lot of additional irrelevant traffic on the site and eating into the bandwidth quota. 
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 7:17pm
Posting pictures is my biggest complaint about the current software. I'v been on line since usenet, (early '90s), and in those 20+ years the only forum I've found worse than this one for posting pictures is ECJ5.
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 7:40pm
whatever direction it goes, thought should be made regarding image issues.

something that would be good would be a means to auto-size the placed image down to around 1-200 KB. this would help on storage AND for us that want to see the pics and are still on antiquated DSL/dial up crappy lines. when people post big images, if i want to see the post, everything goes into slooowww motion.

an iphone will allow you to email images to yourself in prep to put on the CJ2Apage. you pick the file size and if you select Medium it will be just over 100KB and import into the CJ2A perfectly. and i do not suffer the rotated/upside down file syndrome. theCJ2Apage reads my images whether they are vertical or horizontal perfectly and very quickly.

Edited by bight - 20 July 2021 at 7:41pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
ersatzS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2021 at 6:25pm
The Cirrus Aircraft Pilot forum is very well run, and just went through a similar transition.

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2021 at 12:00am
As we all know the current search feature is less than stellar. We each have our own work around on this.

Please look into fixing this issue with the new forum software.

Thanks, Matt W.
Skeleton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2021 at 7:36pm
Kind of late but maybe reddit? make a subreddit called r/thecj2apage? I find reddit to be very friendly, but You have to be careful about following rules and Terms of service. and no matter what you do, do NOT get u/awkwardtheturtle as a moderator.
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2021 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Skeleton Skeleton wrote:

Kind of late but maybe reddit? make a subreddit called r/thecj2apage? I find reddit to be very friendly, but You have to be careful about following rules and Terms of service. and no matter what you do, do NOT get u/awkwardtheturtle as a moderator.

I'd avoid Reddit for this type of forum. It doesn't quite fit the bill for searchable content and different sections, threads are archived after 6 months, and most importantly we would never really have ownership or control of the data. 

There's also already an /r/CJ2A but it's pretty sparsely populated.
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>