Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

distributor cap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharkstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: distributor cap
    Posted: 02 June 2018 at 9:27pm
Can someone let me know if the Centre Point on the distributor cap is meant to have a spring behind as this is all I've seen on in the past and and the 2A distributor cap (This is my 1st time looking at one ) that I have does not appear to, it appears to be fixed and the carbon is worn out, so nospark🤔🤔🤔😫

thanks 
Stuart 
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 9:51pm
Some rotors' center contact is the spring and the contact in the dizzy cap is permanent while others are opposite.

Jim 
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
sharkstu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharkstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 10:01pm
thabks jim,
I appear to have neither.
the rotor arm plate is fixed and the center connection also fixed.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 1:21am
Welcome to the page, sharkstu!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Willys Distributors View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Willys Distributors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 1:26am
The IAD distributors used a center spring in the cap, the IGW, IAT & IAY distributors used a sping on the rotor.

Hope this helps.....
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 3:03am
Just be sure that one of them is permanent, (or fixed), & the other one has a spring, either a coil spring(cap) or a leaf spring (rotor). Having both of them fixed, or both having a spring, will cause you-all grief.

Oh, BTW, Welcome aboard!
sharkstu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharkstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 4:41am
thanks 
sharkstu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharkstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 4:44am
cheers
it looks like someone has put the wrong one on at some point.
I guess that's a lucky thing, as it may bot have made it to me without this happening 

I have ordered the correct one now so am hopeful of a sparking plug next week .

Willeys 49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willeys 49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 6:29pm
Thank you very Much for that timing break down We are on to something ! I’m will let you know how it goes . I have a good feeling on this conclusion ‘n
Willeys 49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willeys 49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 6:30pm
Can’t thank you enough !
sharkstu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharkstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 2:53pm
Thank you all, I have the new cap and rotor arm fitted, and now have a spark.

Post Reply Post Reply