Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Distributor question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distributor question
    Posted: 12 Feb. 2018 at 1:33am
I'd like to get some advice. I've got a 48 cj, in awful condition, but I'm working on it. The engine's original but rebuilt, and I plan on staying 6 volt. There's probably 3 hours runtime on the motor (like I said, lots of work to do). I ran it yesterday up to temperature, let it sit for a while, decided to move it, and it wouldn't start. Had spark and fuel, cranked, but no fire, just sputtered a little once with some ether sprayed in the carb. I'm not as mechanical as I'd like to be, and wasn't sure I had the timing dead on. The engine has run ok, but I've actually had a feeling the timing might have  well, sort of drifted a little. I reset the timing today and fired right up. 
The distributor shaft seems to have some play in it, and I'm thinking of upgrading. The distributor is a Century, by Konishi Mfg, Tokyo. The internet hasn't heard of it, so I'm hesitant to try and get a rebuild kit that may not fit. I'm thinking of springing for a new distributor and maybe even an electronic ignition to avoid points /condenser issues. 
So, is there a 6 volt distributor and electronic ignition setup anyone has any recommendations about?
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2018 at 4:10pm
Try the parts wanted section.
BOULDER 48 2A
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2018 at 6:24pm
This might be a long shot, but check that your distributor advance springs are there and not missing/broken. I bought a car a few years back that acted similarly. The previous owner had removed the advance springs. The timing was jumping all over the place. While you have the cap off, check the point gap and condition of the cap/points/advance mechanism, etc..
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2018 at 10:04pm
The distributor is a Jap copy of an Auto-Lite, parts are interchangeable, my 3B has one on it!.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2018 at 11:46pm
Mitsubuishi copy is always better than the CHI-CoM crapola

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2018 at 11:52pm
Mike,

The Century is a 'Japanese' version of the Autolite IAD-4008 and the parts are interchangeable. It is possible that Century rebuilt Autolite distributors at one time. I'm not so sure that it would have been a cheap copy, because I'm sure Autolite would have had something to say about it. I installed the Pertronix 2541N6 in my 6 volt system, so far no issues. I purchased mine directly from Pertronix.

Tim

Edited by timcj2a - 12 Feb. 2018 at 11:56pm
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 1:15am
Thanks for the help guys. Missing or weak springs is a good thought, I'll check that. There isn't a lot of wobble in the shaft, but it's there.
Tim, as far as I can tell you have what I have, except mine's black. Do you remember if you had to rebuild your distributor before going electronic, or was yours in good shape? Did you have to change your coil?
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 2:32am
Mike,

I didn't have to rebuild my distributor beforehand. Everything with the Pertronix install was very easy, except for installing the square grommet on the side where the lead chases thru.

I did not have to swap the coil, nor do they recommend it. I sent them the diagram below to make sure I was connecting the original style keyed coil to the unit correctly and got the thumbs up from their engineer. Using a a standard block mounted coil is fine and that is what they use in their installation diagram.

IT IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE WITH ANY HIGH OUTPUT COIL AT ALL.

Let me know if you need any other photos or not. Do you still have the dust cap on your distributor? Mine still had it, but you can find them on eBay if necessary.

Tim

1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 3:13am
Thanks Tim, really appreciate the help. I've got the dust cover, and I even have a spare autolite distributor I picked up for 5 bucks at a swap meet. Rough shape but seems to have all the internals. I'm leaning hard towards buying the pertronix. I don' t have a keyed coil so maybe I'll have an easier install (anything more than 2 wires or 3 colors and I confuse myself). The igniter wires actually feed through a hole in the side of the distributor, they don't wire into the bolt that sticks out the side? Don't mean to sound ignorant, I don't have the distributor in front of me.  Did you have to drill out the hole to fit the grommet or just persuade it in?
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 3:28am
Yeah Mike, they do feed thru the side of the distributor. That's a critical part of the install, to remove that stud without losing any parts into the housing. Fitting the square grommet that they provide takes some patience. I believe I sprayed a little silicone spray on it before and had to feed/massage it into the hole. 

To give the appearance of originality and add extra protection, I hid the 2 Ignitor wires in a short length of 3/16" wire loom material from the distributor to the coil. You have to look real close to make it out. 

You also need to use non-copper core plug/coil wires. Petronix sells those as well. I chose some old Autolite Rajah 7mm terminals for mine to make it look somewhat original or at the least to throw off the originality sleuths out there. If you need some let me know and I could send you a set. If you don't have a Rajah crimper, I have that as well.

Edited by timcj2a - 13 Feb. 2018 at 3:36am
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 3:48am
If the shaft has some wobble. it is possible to replace the bushings on the shaft.  I did that to mine when I added the Pertronics "guts".  After the repair, it ran horrible.  Would start, but no power or acceleration, low range just to get out of the garage.  So I bought a Re-pop distributor from Whalck's - Same thing!  It was shortly thereafter that I realized I had the plug wires going the wrong direction!  Runs perfectly with the original distributor now.  But I have a spare!
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 3:56am
Thank you, I appreciate the offer and the advice. I'm ok just getting her to run like original, I'm not trying to convince anyone she is all original. I'll be happy if I can get to running and reliable. Bad part is I just put on the copper core wire set I got from Walck's for Christmas. I should have a set of modern plug wires somewhere in the shop.
I'm about talked into the idea, I think I need to stare at it for another day or so to get convinced.
 Post Reply Post Reply