Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DJ3A 4x4 Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAD ROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DJ3A 4x4 Project
    Posted: 27 Dec. 2020 at 7:01pm
Hello Folks,

I enjoy the knowledge on this site!  I have a question about my Frankenstein Jeep.  I acquire this about 10-12 years ago and drove it all over the place until I burned the engine (turned out it burned a little more oil than I thought and I ran it dry one day, whoops).  Anyway, it got parked for many years, life took turns and my Jeep was neglected.

The person I bought it from was the brother of the owner and didn’t know much. Came without a title.  I was told it was a 1955 DJ3A with 1954 CJ3B running gear (and 231 Buick, 4 spd).  It has the gas tank in the rear, no tool box under the passenger seat, and no tailgate.  This led me to believe it’s a DJ.  However, I’m reading that all DJ’s came with the big speedometer in the dash.   Mine has the smaller.  Did some DJ’s come with the smaller speedometer?

I’m interested in exactly What I have.  I have the CJ3B firewall data plate somewhere, looks like I took it off when I painted things years ago.  I need to find it.

My plans are to get it back on the road.  I threw on some new wheels/tires and towed it home recently.

Here are some pictures it it’s current state.

Thanks!

Edited by BAD ROD - 24 Mar. 2021 at 3:51am
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2020 at 7:56pm
Appears that it was fully repainted at some point so some originality may be in question.
Pic#3 has rear tank which is certainly normal for the DJ.
Pic #4 shows 1953 -1957 style parking lamps that are native to your low hood grill. Unlike the cj3 grille.
And I would certainly expect it had a side mount radiator.
Pic #7 seat frames definitely are not cj.
Pic #8 looks to me like a spot weld cutter may have been used on the dash panel.
Furthermore it looks to be a cj-2a dash because it has hole pattern for a keyed coil. Key is where the keyed coil would be.
But yes all DJ used a cluster gauge.
My best guess is .....somewhat modified 1955/1956 DJ3A body.

Are your headlamp trim rings stamped steel or chrome pot metal ?
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

BAD ROD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAD ROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2020 at 11:02pm
Oldtime, thanks!  I think you nailed it.  It does look like the dash has been replaced.  Maybe the original was cut up or something. I have one pressed steel head light ring and one chrome.  Does a side mount radiator mean the radiator is off center?

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2020 at 11:55pm
Side mount radiator implies the radiator is mounted direct to the grill and not a bottom mount attached to the frame. 
All cj2a and some cj3a are bottom mounted.
I mentioned the side mount and asked the question about the headlamps to be certain it’s a dj grill and not a modified 3a grill.

The bucket on the left is certainly an Autolite (early type).
I think the right is also Autolite; as the harness looks to enter from the top side.
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

BAD ROD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAD ROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2020 at 1:21am
I see.  Yes, radiator mounts to the grill.  So it seems I probably have a full DJ3A body (minus dash) and frame.  This matches what I was told when I bought it.  The data plate shows a 1954 CJ3B.  The seller said the axles/transfer case/engine/trans came from a CJ3B in poor shape.  

Thanks again.  My plan is to add a CJ3B windshield frame.  The seats are mounted really low with lots of head room.  I always thought the CJ3A windshield looked funny tall.  I probably spent too much time in my youth looking at military Jeeps.  LOL  I’m going to embrace the fact that I have parts of a DJ, CJ2A, and CJ3B.  Might as well add some M38 headlights and MB body handles!  :)
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2020 at 1:39am
Nice looking Jeep 👍🏽...... May I ask what size/make tires are on it ?...

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2020 at 1:52am
If you put a 3B windshield on that cowl you will be bending over to look out of the windshield unless your about 5'3 The 3B windshield is not as tall as the 2A or 3A windshield as the cowl is 6" taller. Also you top won't fit any more.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2020 at 2:08am
I too dont think you'll be really happy with a 3B windshield.....if you look at the Jeep in my avatar it has a 3B windshield. The seats have to be really close to the floor or you have to be a smaller person for that to work.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2020 at 2:26am
There is a 4-5/8” difference between 3a and 3b height.
Jeep actually did manufacture what they termed as a low silhouette windshield for the DJ-3a.
The low silhouette DJ windshield is not identical to the 3b windshield. 
I’m just not sure about it’s actual height compared to the standard 3b windshield. 
The low silhouette windshield uses the same pivot bracket as the 3b.
Zero aftermarket parts

BAD ROD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAD ROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2020 at 2:27am
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Nice looking Jeep 👍🏽...... May I ask what size/make tires are on it ?...

Lee

Thanks!  Tires are 34x9x16 Super Swampers on 16x7 steel wheels.
BAD ROD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAD ROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2020 at 2:43am
Mark W. and rocnroll, you could be right, I will be sure to measure to see.  I’m 6’ tall and have lots (need to measure, but maybe 4”?) of headroom.  I will cut down the top to fit.  If needed, I will combine the venting 3B with the 2A windshield and get a workable height.

Oldtime, that is where I got the idea of using the 3B windshield.  Sticking to my DJ roots!  Big smile  I understand the low silhouette DJ is the same height as the 3B.  And nearly the same height as an MB.

Also, I have nothing under the seats, so could lower a tad if I wanted too.  Wouldn’t want to go much, maybe an inch or so lower.

In any event, I have never been a fan of the tall 3A windshield.  So even if I take out 2” and get to 2A dimensions, I would be happy.  LOL
BAD ROD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAD ROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2020 at 3:01am
Just ran outside to take some measurements.  In normal driving position, I have a full 6” of head clearance under the hardtop headliner with the 3A windshield and stock seat height. Lots of room partly cause the top mounts above the windshield and then slopes up and toward the rear.

I think the problem might be the top of the 3B windshield glass height.  Seems pretty low doing some measurements.   I will throw on the 3B windshield and do some test fitting.  But yes, it is pretty darn low.  May, may not work.  I can’t get the DJ’s running this windshield out of my mind.  

I have a Triumph TR6 that I can not see the red light without bending my head down.  I have experience.....Wink

rocnroll, is your seat on the floor for head room or to see out the glass?  Or both?
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2020 at 3:15am
That's what I was referring to .... where your sight line is looking through the windshield NOT headroom.

I have done exactly what you are talking about and with stock seats you won't be looking through the glass unless you are a little over 4' tall.

But, do as you like, it's your Jeep.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2020 at 1:26am
With no tailgate and the right-rear gas filler, that looks like the DJ3 body for sure 
The 4-speed with V6 didnt come from a CJ3b!  it will be interesting to see how that driveline was put together. 
You’ll have fun with that jeep.
BAD ROD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAD ROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2021 at 2:38am

Threw on the windshield, did some mocking up, measurements, and trials on running my CJ3B windshield on my low hood.

Results:

1. I’m looking to run a venting CJ3B windshield, which has a slightly smaller view area than a regular CJ3B.
  2. CJ3B glass starts 5 inches below top of windshield.
  3. I noticed that there is a 1” spacer mounted under my seat frame, raising the seat by 1”.  This makes the bottom of my seat at 8” measured at the front (7” at the rear).  Measured to the bottom of the seat frame.  Add an inch to get to the bottom of the seat.
  4. The top of my seat measures 12 1/2 inches at the front from the floor (stock, without the spacer would be 11 1/2 inches).
  5. Using straight edges, level, and tape measure, I measured the distance from the centerline of my eye to the top of the glass on the windshield while sitting in normal driving position for my Jeep, 2018 Tacoma, and 1973 Triumph TR6.  

Results:

A) Jeep - zero (centerline of eye is exactly at top of glass).

B) Stock Tacoma - 2 inches

C) Stock TR6 - 2 1/2 inches

From my small sample, seems a line of sight 2 inches below the top of the glass is normal/workable (maybe a bit less in a Jeep as you sit closer to the windshield?).  I slumped down 2 inches in my Jeep and there is plenty of viewing area.  Might be able to get away with a 1 inch seat drop (can obtain by removing the seat from spacer and returning to stock).  If I need/want another inch, I will cut down the stock seat frame 1 inch after some test driving. 

Summary:  I’m totally running this CJ3B windshield on my low hood.  I shouldn’t really be surprised that this works as 1000’s (10’s of thousands?) of DJ3A’s successfully ran this windshield factory stock.  Plus I did some deep google searching and found many examples of a low silhouette windshield on a low hood. 

Now the hard part.....anyone know of a source for CJ3B windshield pivot brackets?

Thanks!Tongue

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2021 at 4:01am
That set-up will look cool.

Check with Harry Sheets (lots of take-off original parts):

(Oops!  This is redundant!  Sorry about that - just remembered the g503 post)

Windshield options:

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
BAD ROD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAD ROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2021 at 4:22am
Thanks again Rus! Midwest Willy’s is on vacation for a couple of weeks and will get back to me then.  Fingers crossed.

Great link.  I‘m building a hardtop “Convertible” DJ3A!  

Interesting note:  I am retiring this year (maybe July 2021) and my plan was to take on my Jeep project then.  But I’m so excited about it, I can’t keep my hands off it!

BAD ROD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAD ROD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2021 at 1:09am
I seem to have a DJ body and frame.  The numbers on the frame (on top of the right frame rail ahead of the firewall) are a sideways “3” followed by “1398”.  I can’t seem to find how to read this number?  The sideways “3” followed by a 4 digit number has me thrown.  Anyone know how to decipher this number?

And an update:  I’m taking my Jeep to a builder to get it going and stopping.  Smile

Edited by BAD ROD - 24 Mar. 2021 at 1:28am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>