Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DMC-12

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DMC-12
    Posted: 29 July 2012 at 2:36pm
Just got this Friday. Been wanting one since I was a youngster.

1948 CJ2A # 217333
My Project

JW in Dallas, TX
Dez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2012 at 4:30pm
Loved that car since I saw it in Back to the Future!
2many View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2many Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2012 at 7:11pm
Awesome!  Right with ya, always wanted one of those.  Does it live up to the lifelong expectations?!
Too many 2A's - ask my wife
'45 CJ2A (10231) in progress
'57 FC-150
'74 CJ 6
Joe Frazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Frazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2012 at 8:01pm
for some reason, these never seem to generally bring high $$$...

a good thing for all of us who always wanted one! I actually saw a real live
one on the road last week. The first in quite some time!
Collecting any/all Kaiser/Frazer/JEEP literature/handouts/toys etc.
46 CJ2A
50 Jeepster
51 Pick-up
54 Willys Aero Hardtop
54 Kaiser Willys Darrin
56 Wagon
56 Factory Proto-type FC 170 Truck
OverlandMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2012 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by 2many 2many wrote:

Awesome!  Right with ya, always wanted one of those.  Does it live up to the lifelong expectations?!

Yes it actually does even though its a GT car with unimpressive stock performance. These cars are really all about the novelty appeal, which is mostly cosmetic.

Originally posted by Joe Frazer Joe Frazer wrote:

for some reason, these never seem to generally bring high $$$...

a good thing for all of us who always wanted one! I actually saw a real live
one on the road last week. The first in quite some time!

They cost $25k when they first came out in 1981. Today, a showroom car can fetch $30k+. Below that, the costs vary depending on condition, mileage, and minor manufacturing difference. My car is not a showroom car right now but I have high hopes for it!
1948 CJ2A # 217333
My Project

JW in Dallas, TX
trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2012 at 10:22pm
Nice! do your little electric windows work?? they seem to be a common part to fail.
Maker of the Reedkini

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 1:55am
Originally posted by trader_reed trader_reed wrote:

Nice! do your little electric windows work?? they seem to be a common part to fail.

You're correct in that they are a common failure, especially on cars that have been out in the weather (sun cracks the seals & rain and dirt leads to drain issues, which in turns leads to window motor failure).

On my car, the driver side works but not the passenger side. I haven't dug into the pass side to figure out where the failure is yet. All I've done is verified the switch and fuse is good.

Noticed you're in Ireland. The original DMC plant was in Dunmurry. Are you close to that?

Edited by OverlandMan - 30 July 2012 at 1:58am
1948 CJ2A # 217333
My Project

JW in Dallas, TX
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 2:23am
Back to the Future, here we come!!

Neat! Weird how the values aren't where other specialty cars are...hope ya got a decent deal.

Too bad you can't get a stainless Jeep body...wait, you CAN!!

How's the flux capacitor?LOL

If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 4:02am
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

Back to the Future, here we come!!

Neat! Weird how the values aren't where other specialty cars are...hope ya got a decent deal.

Too bad you can't get a stainless Jeep body...wait, you CAN!!

How's the flux capacitor?LOL

I think I got a pretty good deal. The car is another "project" but its at least a running driving car and the project aspect is mostly just cosmetics and some electrical.

So many kids these days either haven't seen the movies or still don't know what it is. That's really strange to me cause I knew exactly what it was when I was their age. I reckon its another one of those generational things.
1948 CJ2A # 217333
My Project

JW in Dallas, TX
trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 7:58am
Dunmurry is really Northern Ireland which part of the United Kingdom. I won't go into the whole 13+1 issue. I live just outside of Dublin which is the Rep. of Ireland but only about a two hour drive from Dunmurry.

You should be able to take that to a local mall and charge 5 bucks to have your photo taken with the car, You'll have your money back in no time. If it wasn't for the Back to the Future movies this car would have been forgotten. I love them and most people do, but they where totally underpowered. You need to get a smoke machine so when you open the gull wing door you look like the Doc getting out!!! Awesome.

Maker of the Reedkini

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 2:25pm

I live just outside of Dublin which is the Rep. of Ireland but only about a two hour drive from Dunmurry.

If you are ever driving up that way and happen to cruise by the old factory, snap a couple of pics for me. Last I heard, it was abandoned and not being used by anyone, but that could be wrong.

You should be able to take that to a local mall and charge 5 bucks to have your photo taken with the car, You'll have your money back in no time.

You know, I've thought about that (especially after I get if fixed up a little). Once the newness of the attention it gets wears off and I start getting irritated... that's when I'll start charging LOL J/K. Thanks.
1948 CJ2A # 217333
My Project

JW in Dallas, TX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2012 at 2:21am
FYI - if anyone is interested, I've started a blog for this resto here: http://dmctx.blogspot.com/
1948 CJ2A # 217333
My Project

JW in Dallas, TX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2013 at 9:13pm
I've been able to get quite a bit accomplished on this project since my last post. Thought I'd drop a line and re-post my resto blog link: http://dmctx.blogspot.com/

Hope everyone had a good winter. Spring is right around the corner. Weatherman is calling for near 80 degrees (F) here on Friday. God bless!
1948 CJ2A # 217333
My Project

JW in Dallas, TX
WRMorrison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRMorrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2013 at 10:44pm
If this car came from Phoenix, I might have seen it on the freeway a couple of times.  I know there's one around (or at least used to be); I can't imagine there being a bunch of them in the area.

I'd also put a faux flux capacitor in the car (just for looks, of course).  Would really spice up the interior!

-WRM

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2013 at 11:06pm
I just have to ask, are you planning to install a Flux Capaciter?, if so you will need a bigger alternator, LOL,.......Very cool, have fun with it!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2013 at 12:59am
Originally posted by WRMorrison WRMorrison wrote:

If this car came from Phoenix, I might have seen it on the freeway a couple of times.  I know there's one around (or at least used to be); I can't imagine there being a bunch of them in the area.

I'd also put a faux flux capacitor in the car (just for looks, of course).  Would really spice up the interior!

-WRM

The car actually came from Scottsdale, AZ. It had been with the previous owner since 1992. I believe there is an AZ club so there should be a few out there in that area. They built almost 9000 of them. 6000 are believed to be left today. The trend lately has seen a lot of them going to Europe for more $ than they're fetching here.

Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

I just have to ask, are you planning to install a Flux Capaciter?, if so you will need a bigger alternator, LOL,.......Very cool, have fun with it!

Lee

I've had a lot of folks ask me that. I may at some point build one for kids or shows but otherwise I have no plans to make this into a movie car. There is a guy here in Dallas who's made a business out of doing that. If I build one, it will be easily removable Smile.

1948 CJ2A # 217333
My Project

JW in Dallas, TX
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2013 at 12:51am
Must be a lot of fun to own and drive. I was a huge fan of the movies as a kid so in my mind the DMC is about the most instantly recognizable vehicle ever built. Interesting documentary on your blog too. I watched it in its entirety. Too bad a company with such seemingly intelligent and motivated people burned out as quickly as it did.
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
East Coast Willys Association
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2013 at 1:32am
Ryan my friend, the "Jeep" is the most recognized vehicle worldwide, the DMC may be 2nd, LOL

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>