Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do I or do I not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Convoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do I or do I not?
    Posted: 24 Jan. 2020 at 11:40pm
I came across this 46 about 2 miles from my house. The owner is willing to let it go for $1000 which seems a little high to me and as it is not stock at all I don't think I would feel to bad about building it a little to handle the Rubicon. It has a 289 converted to propane mated to a hydramatic tans connected to the stock transfer case. It also has the rear PTO and a plow on the front. My question is, how many worms could there be in this can? I would appreciate any input anyone might have.
Not sure what I am doing but having fun doing it.
CT48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CT48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2020 at 11:56pm
That would sell in 5 minutes here in the North-Eastern US, on FB marketplace or C/L. Maybe old stuff needing work is not worth much where you are?

I see they shoved the radiator & grille forward to handle the length of the SB Ford. That is by far the longest small V8, so it was a dumb choice IMO. I believe some of the front parts of a 302 Ford Explorer engine can shorten your 289 up a bit.

I am a old time hot rodder, but I personally would never run a V8 for rough, slow, hilly trails. The A/T would also be a turn-off to me personally.

I still think it's a no brainer at that price, as you can sell that cab and the plow.
Cheapsnake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheapsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 12:10am
From the looks of one picture it appears to be "decent". Actually, the drivetrain is the devil you know about and if you're looking to go back to original you can factor that into your offer. I'd look very carefully at how much the body and frame might have been butchered to fit the V8 and tranny in. Considering the fact that it has a snowplow, it's good possibility it was exposed to salt and the frame and body have paid the price. Inspect carefully.
I'm currently restoring a '46 that was pretty much original and solid, ran but needed work, no brakes. I paid $2500 for it and hope to have it completed for another $2-2.5K. With that as a baseline, I'd say $1000 ain't too bad for that Jeep, ASSUMING a solid frame and body. Good luck.
I was hooked on the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

'46 cj-2a (WIP)
'66 Factory Five Cobra
1980 Triumph TR8
Convoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Convoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 12:21am
Oh I am sure it would sell quick here too to people with more ability and knowledge than myself. If I had my choice (limited knowledge and experience here) I would like a little 4 cyl diesel or the straight 6 out of an xj with a 4 speed. I was actually looking for an xj when I found this and I was so funky looking I thought this has to be mine. Then I thought  oh brother you have done this before and leaped before thinking it through. so I did a little research and found this forum and thought I should ask some people who actually know what they are looking at.
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 12:43am
If the tub and frame are good, it's probably worth it. I like the little cab, that's worth something; heater to go with it, even more. I think I can see $1000 pretty easy, and if you sold the engine, trans, propane tank, etc. you could get the cost down to maybe half that.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
Convoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Convoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 12:47am
Thank you oldscot3. That is probably the way I will go.
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 12:47am
If you didn’t want the cab I’d probably buy it. So heck why not if it is in pretty solid shape pick it up.
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 12:59am
Originally posted by CT48 CT48 wrote:

....  I see they shoved the radiator & grille forward to handle the length of the SB Ford. That is by far the longest small V8, so it was a dumb choice IMO. I believe some of the front parts of a 302 Ford Explorer engine can shorten your 289 up a bit....

The front dress off a V8 from an Early Bronco is pretty short too.  Not sure what the 289 came out of, but if it was a Bronco there might not be much room for improvement.  Otherwise, yes the Explorer front dress saves a few inches off something out of a pickup or the like.

As to the length compared to other small blocks I don't have any first hand info.  But I remember Granville L. King complaining about the distributor on a Chevy small block hitting the firewall of a 2a while a Ford V8 with the distributor in front had more room.  But that's just what I remember reading a few decades ago...

Edited by Nothing Special - 25 Jan. 2020 at 1:01am
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
CT48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CT48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 1:44am
The side view looks like original worn off paint, with no rust patching. Slight bend at lower body in front of rear wheel, easy fix. The tub looks way above average, even for Cal, as it's not all smashed like rock crawler junks are.

Front frame horns are not braced up with welded angle iron like some plow Jeeps have, that's a plus.

But with automatic trans, have you looked to see if the lower firewall and trans tunnel is all hacked up? The raised hood box makes me think that the engine is mounted quite high? So that's why the firewall/tunnel might be hacked up.

3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 2:26am
Kind of curious. Have seen comments that using a plow may damage the frame. Is that true. I actually have a 2A I have looked at but have been wary that it has been used to plow. Maybe I should look again. But then again, who needs another jeep?
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 3:52am
most likely worth 1K.  Would be nice to get more pic of it. Strange how Bubba raised the hood.  I did not have to do that with my 2A with a HP 289.  What trans? C4, 350, 400.  Cool top. Wonder if it has the doors to.
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Convoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Convoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 6:07am
No doors unfortunately. I think I am going to move forward and get it. Here are a couple more pics I took while I was there.

chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 6:35am
Well worth the $1000 if you're looking for a jeep to restore. I'm in Napa, what part of Ca are you in?
jay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 6:40am
BUY IT! 
 Early 2A?---- Column shift, extended bed, metal top, plow, possibly rear PTO, Would be nice if you could post pics of engine compartment and a few underneath pics.  

Edited by jeepsterjim - 25 Jan. 2020 at 6:45am
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Convoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Convoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 6:42am
I'm just North of you in Grass Valley.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 6:50am
OOPS

Edited by jeepsterjim - 25 Jan. 2020 at 6:54am
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 6:53am
Originally posted by Convoy Convoy wrote:

I'm just North of you in Grass Valley.

Lived in Cedar Ridge, Brunswick & 174 area. Darn snow belt area! Kids still live in GV.  Go get that Jeep. Would be fun to come up and see it and BS for awhile.   
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2020 at 6:56am
look again that's not a column shift it has a floor shift tranny cover. and remember it has an auto in it now. I also don't see any transfer case levers.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>