Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does a 46 VEC need rear axle puller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeJayTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does a 46 VEC need rear axle puller
    Posted: 26 Jan. 2023 at 11:20pm
Also How to tell if it is a tapered axle or non tapered. I understand the tapered need the puller? Would mine have a left over MB or something? It has a lot of the VEC features. 
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 8:52am
A service manual would help you determine that.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 9:04am
If it’s the early axle you’ll have hubs like the illustration and you shouldn’t need a puller. My mb manual says there are two holes in the axle flange that you can screw bolts into to pull the axle shaft, the cj axle is probably the same.
http://www.cj-2a.com/parts_list/illustrations/47/fig-32xl.jpg
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 2:54pm
Also, in addition to the difference in hubs a CJ2A (Dana 41) axle has a round cover over the differential, the MB cover is nearly rectangular. 

If you have the Dana 41 it will be tapered axles and you will need a puller similar to the one below.

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
SeeJayTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeJayTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 3:29pm
it's a Dana 41........will be very hard to buy a tool for one time use.
Thank you for that info. Very much appreciated from everyone.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 3:32pm
Better see if you can borrow or rent one. Trying to pull a hub with anything else is sure to result in damaged/destroyed parts. Ask ANY of us how we know!
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 3:40pm
Damaged parts, and injuries. When you do find the appropriate puller you need to have the axle nut on a few threads to keep that massive hunk of iron from popping off and hurting you.

Also become familiar with how the hubs need to be reinstalled. I have lost count of the ruined hubs I have replaced on Jeeps because someone put the key in ahead of the hub and split the hub. Really simple, hub on first, align the keyway, tap in the key flush with the outside of the hub then the washer and nut will push both as a unit when the nut is tightened to spec. 

It is a tool that most people use infrequently, but they aren't overly expensive, and cheaper than replacing hubs that have been ruined using the wrong tools.
SeeJayTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeJayTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 3:51pm
I will take your advice and also read up on it when I get to that task.
SeeJayTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeJayTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 4:01pm
In the back of my design engineer's (Ret.) mind I have been thinking that the puller used by most is a "universal" one. It is designed for a lot of lug patterns. SOoooooo since I only need one lug pattern and a puller is not high tech, maybe I can make one. But it is $75 and $131 on Amazon. That makes it a hard choice. I will probably search my metal scrap pile and puller parts and think on it. I do have tools to make one.

Edited by SeeJayTwo - 27 Jan. 2023 at 4:07pm
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 4:35pm
Here is a homade jeep specific rear axle/hub separator that I designed.
Works fine but I used 1/4” which is a little weak so I suggest 5/16” or 3/8”.
It obviously uses lug nuts to separate so end cap distance to end of axle shaft is very important.

Edited by oldtime - 27 Jan. 2023 at 4:37pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 4:43pm
I have often thought about making one using one of the ruined rear hubs I have laying around. Would have to do some lathe work but I don't think it would be too difficult. 
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 4:44pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
SeeJayTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeJayTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 4:51pm
I think I would just use a square or rectangular plate 3/8-1/2 thk. Use a wheel or front drum for marking the pattern.... A center bolt from another puller....

Keep in mind I haven't scoped this out, just now thinking about it from inside my house because of this discussion.

The attachment to lugs is maybe a small challenge to make. possibly just use chain. loose or welded to make feet. I'll probably brainstorm this for weeks.

Edited by SeeJayTwo - 27 Jan. 2023 at 4:57pm
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 5:07pm
Where are you located in general terms? You never know, there might be one you could borrow locally.
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 5:10pm
My local NAPA has one that they "rent out" for free. You leave a deposit & use the tool. When you return the tool clean & in good shape you get the deposit back.

Many FLAPS have this option for rarely used tools. I have "rented" many tools from them, like a fuel pressure gauge for my wife's Buick, a torque multiplier, & a dial bore gauge, to name a few. Check if you have this option locally. It is much cheaper than buying one.

Where in the desert are you? If you are close to one of us, we might loan ours out to you.
SeeJayTwo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeJayTwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 5:14pm
Phoenix AZ area
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 5:17pm
Here’s a view of the other side. 
Simple as it gets….
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 5:30pm
Ken,

That is a brilliantly simple design. Until you showed the flip side I wasn't sure how it worked.

If I am understanding this correctly, this sits over the end of the axle with some space between the flange and hub and you just tighten the lug nuts to pull the hub.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>