Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does your '2A have a "Name"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 4:21pm
This is fun!
My 48 is Grampa's Jeep because it was my Grampa's hunting rig back in the 50's and 60's. As I grew up myself and many of my cousins and neighbor kids went on many imaginary adventures sitting in Grampa's Jeep while it sat behind the garage and never moved an inch. 

I've posted this before, but here's a photo of some uncles and cousins with a pile of Rocky Mountain Mule Deer on Grampa's Jeep in the 60's. This is in the Wasatch Range east of Ogden Utah, Monte Cristo area for anyone that is familiar with our mountains.

Edited by smfulle - 18 Jan. 2018 at 4:23pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
dandjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dandjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 4:58pm
This is "Red" and "Lil Red". Lil Red was actually Red until I got Red in 2004. Then it became Lil Red. 
My Dad bought it new in '47 and we have had it ever since. I learned to drive on it. It's not going anyplace.  I have already promised it to my six year old Grandson. 

47 cj2a
Warn O/D
03 Rubicon

Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 6:23pm

Our 45 CJ2A was named Rustee, but then someone came along and said I want to drive the "Mater Jeep" Papa. So now I am not sure if is Rustee or Mater, or Rustee Mater.

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 1:30am
I usually ask the PO if the jeep has a name, if it does, the name will stick. I have a '47 that's named "Teddy". Art, the PO, said he named it after Teddy Roosevelt because it was a "rough riding SOB" LOL
  When we loaded a jeep that I bought in Wheatridge, CO, I asked the owner if it had a name, and he said, "not yet". I said, that'll do, "Notyet" it is! Smile
  There are 9 flatfender jeeps in my yard, and they are all named for who or where they came from, or some unique quality. It helps to keep them straight. They are: Lefty, Notyet, Nelybel (the 3B, I tried to change the name to "Bulldog", but it hasn't stuck), Uncle Lynden, Sarge (GPW), Zach, Slat, Teddy, and of course, Rusty. I helped Tiny bring one home from Cheyenne WY, and we named it "Shy-Ann". I have an '88 Cherokee, and my daughter, an avid Mickey Mouse fan named it "Pluto". This was about the time they demoted poor Pluto from "planet" status.
  Tiny's jeep was named "Marvin" by the PO, and a parts jeep we bought got named "Melvin". I usually mark taken-off parts according to which jeep they came off of, to keep track. I was marking some parts and couldn't remember which of those two they were from, so I marked them "Mxxvin".
  And, in a discussion about names, I can't leave out my primer-spotted '70 Chevy C10, "Ol' Spot".   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 1:42am
My wife named one of my 2As..... tetanus. Can you guess why?
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 2:10am
oh my gosh joe i'm laughing so hard i'm crying..

you win 
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 2:32am
My '47 is 'Ziggie.' That was my late dad's nickname. He's standing in the pic at left, next to his (now mine) jeep, in about 1950. He'd just fitted the snow plow and striped it himself. Then came a Koenig PTO winch, Warn locking hubs, a Warn overdrive, and a heavier Chevy truck clutch, which I've removed. He swapped the rattly, rusting original 2A windshield for a new 3A one sometime in the late 1950s. Dad bought the jeep new in late '47 and I still have the original bill of sale: a few bucks less than $1,100, including the rear seat and full canvas top.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 3:13am
I have been thinking about a name for my '47 for a while. Jpet is right, you don't need to rush into it, the right name will become obvious. We have sort of a family joke that when you think something is beautiful, you say it's ugly. It's kind of a long story, but I'm now thinking of calling my CJ "Old Ugly". Old Ugly was also the nose art on a WWII bomber.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 3:54am
I'm also of the opinion that they name themselves.  My 2A, "Ol' Unreliable", named itself back in 2015 at the Fall Colors Tour.  Do I need to say why?

If your Jeep hasn't named itself yet, just wait. 

There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 4:07am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

I'm also of the opinion that they name themselves.  My 2A, "Ol' Unreliable", named itself back in 2015 at the Fall Colors Tour.  Do I need to say why?

The way you were yanked out of the woods on the end of a string that day, I'd think you could call your jeep "Yo-yo" LOLWink   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 4:14am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Ron, Have you thought about calling the jeep "Uncle Wilson"?

Interesting suggestion . . but unfortunately in my family that might cause some confusion,  as we have an "Uncle Will".  LOL   (first name William)
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 5:00am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

The way you were yanked out of the woods on the end of a string that day, I'd think you could call your jeep "Yo-yo" LOLWink   BW

That day was at the 2016 FCT.  I still can't figure why it gave me so much trouble at Aspen Ridge but I drove all the way home that Friday night without a bit of trouble (not that I'm complaining...).  Even in the snowstorm on Trout Creek Pass. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 9:25pm
No name yet. If it did have one, I would probably feel worse that it has been neglected, alone and sitting with a dead motor.
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 9:53pm
I like the idea of giving it a guy's name.  That way when you tell stories, it will confuse people when they think you are talking about a buddy and somewhere along the way realize it's your Jeep.  "I remember that time Phil and I were on Drummond Island..."  And it will always be Phil that got stuck or broke down, never me.  Big smile
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2018 at 10:05pm
I've liked some of the vehicles I've owned but don't normally name them. I usually buy them when they're near to being on their last leg, maybe I didn't want to get attached. I've been working on a 48 lefty since last January and still have Miles to go.  I started trying to do the body and floorpan work this month, and I'm seriously unsure if there are any original panels left. With all the globbed-on welds and riveted-on patch panels, I'm starting to feel like her name is supposed to be Patch. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
Jerry45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 2:36am
Woody acquired his name when my grandson, who was 4 at the time (2001) asked what did it say on the side of my Jeep. The name "Wellwood" was painted on each side. It was the name of the farm where I got him from. It was a contraction of the husband's name, Burwell, and his wife's name, Woodruff. When I told him what it said, he responded, "Like Woody?" (Toy Story) I said yes. He said can we call him Woody? And that, was that! 😀
1945 CJ-2A #11802
1950? Szekley Navy APU Jeep
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

"They can have my Jeep when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 3:06am
Originally posted by Joe DeYoung Joe DeYoung wrote:

My wife named one of my 2As..... tetanus. Can you guess why?

That's awesome! We bought a 67 Ford F100 from my best friend in 98 or so, back when we lived in Austin. He'd named it 'Old Green' and we kept the name. It fit.

When we bought it, the brakes were so hard to press that you had to grab the steering wheel and literally stand on the pedal while pulling as hard on the wheel as possible. The steering was sloppy and almost as difficult to operate as the brakes. Both exhaust manifolds had quarter-sized holes in them, and the first valve lash adjustment we did made it hork huge clouds of blue smoke when you hit the gas.

The windshield was shattered and the TXDOT inspection sticker was hand-drawn and good enough to look legit at about 5 feet.

The truck he replaced it with was a rusted out 87 F150 that was almost in worse shape. We named it 'GangGreene' for him. Wink

Stan, I can't wait to have a picture of like yours of my jeep.

Edited by LesBerg - 22 Jan. 2018 at 3:12am
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
RunningW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RunningW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2018 at 3:47am
I call her "The Antichrist" a la The Gods Must Be Crazy.

Edited by RunningW - 23 Jan. 2018 at 3:58am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>