Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Doing actual work with the jeep..Add your photos!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Doing actual work with the jeep..Add your photos!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 44>
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2019 at 9:35pm
Damn!  Looks like this is going to take multiple trips (whoo-hoo! Wink )
gratuitous co-pilot pic... she helps guide me back Thumbs Up
I'm going to have to have a little talk with my co-pilot Stern SmileErmmLOL

Edited by mbullism - 15 Nov. 2019 at 9:57pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2019 at 12:50am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Damn!  Looks like this is going to take multiple trips (whoo-hoo! Wink )

LOL
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2019 at 1:30am
Continuing work on the trails on my son's property.      The only way to get from my property to my son's on far back of our lots is to cross a "wash" or "big ditch"  (not sure what to call it).   I decided to take a dry run to see if Wilson and Bantam could cross.  Next up will be to see if it can pull a load of wood across. Smile

Glad to have pintle hitch.   Not sure a regular hitch would survive this angle.

Pictures never do justice to severity of trail.   The rear license plate got tweeked.  :-(

The rig made it thru with no spinning tires,   but I wonder what will happen with load of wood?
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2019 at 1:35am
Smile  The load of wood will be going downhill, pushing the Jeep uphill. When the load gets to the bottom, that’s when the test starts. LOL   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2019 at 1:48am
Bruce,  I was thinking same thing Smile  . .  Not obvious in photos,  but there is still a slope after exiting ditch,  so about the time the trailer wheels get to bottom of ditch,  the '2A will still be climbing.  
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2019 at 3:01am
I wouldn’t stack the wood to high in the trailer, might end up in the jeeps  bed! Lol
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2019 at 3:14am
I would have a backup plan. In my experience I can stack all the wood I can tie down in a jeep and come out of about anywhere the jeep will go empty but pulling the same size load on a trailer with an empty jeep is a different story. Good luck and let us know. 

Mike

TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2019 at 5:33am
What you need to do is build a bridge LOL
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2019 at 6:03am
Originally posted by TateC TateC wrote:

What you need to do is build a bridge LOL
Good idea you got wood right
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2019 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

Originally posted by TateC TateC wrote:

What you need to do is build a bridge
Good idea you got wood right

My son said the same thing. Smile    I reality though, we will not be carrying much wood across this end of property.  (there are better exits).    

I am just doing it for the fun of it. LOL
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2019 at 8:46pm
Build the bridge and use the Jeep and Bantam to haul the materials to the site. What a cool project this would be. 
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 12:09am
Epic fail getting out of the woods at the end of the day Cry

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 1:18am
Oh NO!   What happened? Hope all are okay.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 11:49am
x2!
Edited to remove a letter. Hope you're ok.
Rick Estes
Flat40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flat40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 11:53am
Ouch! Major bummer. Looks like she’ll cut through the wind with ease now. Smile
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2019 at 3:19am
Lol... I didn't consider the increased aerodynamics. Hmmm... maybe I should weld it up as is. Big smile

Seriously, I wasn't in any real danger. No roll over or anything like that. The windshield frame cleared a large tree branch but the right side top bow didn't. So the canvas ended up pulling the windshield frame back and it broke at a previous failure point. Jpet makes very tuff canvas tops... tuffer than steel!! Hopefully my repair will be more robust than the PO's repair.

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2019 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Joe DeYoung Joe DeYoung wrote:

...the canvas ended up pulling the windshield frame back and it broke at a previous failure point. 

That's actually a designed in "fuse" to save the canvas Wink (they did away with it with the 3A windshield after too many complaints of broken cigars LOL )
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov. 2019 at 5:59pm
Joe, I have done that very thing more than once. One time it pulled the windshield back far enough to break the glass on the steering wheel . Since then, I have remedied the problem. If you like how strong my canvas is, you should try one of my windshield frames
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 44>