Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Door Sockets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Door Sockets
    Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 2:43am
  Every MB and GPW has (or had) seven brass sockets around each door opening for the canvas door panel to snap into. Most of them are AWOL. There's a guy on the G503 Forums that is reproducing these sockets, and they sell faster than he can make them. I got in for two sets, one for each of my GPW and Slat-Grill. I got to wondering whether I really needed two full sets (they're $50 a set!) so I went to check my WWII jeeps and see how many I needed. Well, the GPW is only missing one, and the Slat is missing all of them. Then Joel Gopan happened to mention that CJ2-A's used two of them on each side as well, so I had to check all of them as well. Here's what I found: 
   All of my '47s have either the sockets or the holes for them, most of them are gone. My '48, #189673 (Uncle Linden's Jeep), has four of them still in place. Here's what struck me - My Lefty, '48 #187447, has no holes for them. I checked closely, and it doesn't appear that the holes have been welded up. 
  So here's my question: Is this a '48 thing, were they eliminated during the 1948 production? The monkey wrench in that is the fact that Uncle Linden's Jeep was apparently built about 2200 units AFTER Lefty. Or is it a Lefty thing?  What says y'all?
  LOL Now, all of y'all has to put on your shoes and hat, find a flashlight, and go look. Sorry 'bout that, but I know you love it.  Wink   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 3:22am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

LOL Now, all of y'all has to put on your shoes and hat, find a flashlight, and go look. Sorry 'bout that, but I know you love it.  Wink   BW

Bruce: I don't know how many times I have read a post on here and someone needed a measurement or some sort of verification and I have gotten up and went to the shop, broke out the flashlight, measuring equipment, and sometime even a camera in order to do just what you are talking about...sometimes in PJ's!

That is what makes this forum great. Flatfender nuts helping other flatfender nuts get the information they need to keep these unique little trucks on the roads and trails.

Ain't we a great bunch...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 4:22am
Okay, Ol' Unreliable has the upper socket installed on both sides and the lower hole on the driver's side was welded up by Bubba.  On the passenger side, the lower hole is open and I have a vague recollection of sanding away the socket around 5 years ago.  Ol' Unreliable is a Lefty, serial # 177120.  If any of that info is useful, you're welcome.  If not, it's all I got.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 1:26pm
My late production 48 CJ2A does not have the sockets nor can I find any indication of the holes for them.

This 48 is an odd duck in several ways. It was probably one of the last 2As off the line, and was built on a 3A frame. It is a CJ2A in every way other than having the later style frame, and I am 99.9% certain this is the way it came new. 

I rebuilt a M38 about 30 years ago, and I sand blasted that body to remove a layer of "feather fill" which had been applied in a previous "restoration" to make it pretty. There was no rust. 

On that M38 body the only holes were a line of bullet holes down the passenger side. There were no holes for the door sockets.

Never thought about whether there should have been sockets or not, just sure neither of these Jeeps had them.

This makes me wonder if the sockets were dropped as the CJ3A / M38 started in production. 

The interesting thing about the bullet holes on that M38 is they were patched with little squares of sheet metal with perforated edges which had been brazed over the holes, and then filled with body lead. Not a typical Bubba fix, so I always figured it was done while the Jeep was still in service at Fort Hood.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2019 at 3:19pm
What I see setting up here is the sockets appear to go away when Willys starts to make their own tubs in-house.  This happens in later 1948.  The same time the ACM number goes away, and the trailer socket hole goes away.

Bruce, My '46 2A has 2 holes on each side, (+ a number of extra holes)  but all the sockets are gone.  I would purchase 4 from you if you end up with extras.

The 3A and M38, changed to a channel to secure the front of the canvas door...

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2019 at 7:13pm
Bruce,

I got all of mine from Beachwood product number B1824. They are about $5 each. They worked great for my '47.

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2019 at 7:34pm
  A lot of changes happened in '48, and not all at once. That seems to be normal for Willys-Overland. I don't know what my point is, but I would be interested in establishing a time-line (by serial number) of the changes that took place. Maybe it's just because I have two '48s, both fairly late in the year's production, but still on the old CJ2-A frame. A good friend has a jeep that, according to the serial number breaks I have written down, should be a very late '48 but is titled as a '49. Of course we all know how that could have happened. I would like to know whether that one has door sockets or holes or not. RealDeal, are you listening? Big smile   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2019 at 8:42pm
If I can remove the thick layers of paint on the plate I will look at the serial number on my 48.

The body is CJ2A, and from all indications it came down the assembly line on that CJ3A frame. 

The date, and other information, on a title doesn't always mean very much. The M38 I had was titled as a 1949 CJ2A.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2019 at 12:24am
My 49 2A, Willy’s produced body, about 2000 from the last made has the 2 door sockets! I’m assuming the Jeep was made in the last couple weeks of CJ2A production in 1949.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2019 at 11:38am
MY 48, number 197040, has two.
Edited to add picture.

Edited by eestes1 - 20 Apr. 2019 at 6:55pm
Rick Estes
 Post Reply Post Reply