Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Drive them Jeeps"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Drive them Jeeps"
    Posted: 17 Sep. 2018 at 5:07pm
This has been trickled here and there, but the "thank you" deserves its own thread.

Chatting with Nofender mid last week, I noted the weather for the upcoming weekend looked good and I'd be driving the 2A...somewhere.  A loose thought of "if I trailer out to your place, why don't we cruise the flatties over to Masscj2a's and see his new MI treasure, talk jeeps and drink his beer?" was floated.  The invitation was extended (us inviting ourselves, lol, not the proper way  ;) )  Kudo's to nofender for the sleight of hand and getting an "o.k"   ;)

So mid morning Sunday had me unloading in Westfield, and we burbled our way the 17 miles of scenic farm country out to Chester, drooled over 64 year old rust free sheet metal (1954 M170 ambulance) and drank Mark's beer   8-)... what we didn't see coming was Mark and Brooke pulling out the stops, firing up the smoker and the grill, and setting us down to a spread with sides.  Unexpected, but much appreciated! Thumbs Up

Properly stuffed, we then burbled the 17 miles back to Westfield (there is nothing like the sound of a flathead, right?), I loaded up and took my time getting home... just a really pleasant gig all the way round.

Anyway, Thanks again to Mark and Brooke for providing a proper stop over, and to Andy for leading the way there and back.  I gotta start inviting myself more places LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2018 at 11:38pm
It was indeed a good day! 

I'm still trying to get used to this Jeep! More than a few times I found myself in the wrong gear. OD? No OD? I don't know. Anyway, we climbed some serious hills as we crossed over the mountain to Mark's place. Still need some tuning as I was LOW on power on the hills as compared to Mike. But I think we dialed her in a bit ago. 

On the ride home it was, as the song goes, a peaceful easy feeling. I have a tough time slowing down. This day did it. No cell service. no traffic and good friends. 

Thanks Mark, Brooke and Mike! I appreciate you. 

At "the Jeep farm" 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 12:21am
That's great guys!! ClapClap
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 8:02am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

More than a few times I found myself in the wrong gear.

When I was driving Ol' Unreliable a lot more and switching between that and the YJ, I would frequently find myself in the wrong gear when starting from a stop in either Jeep.  I would start O-U in reverse and YJ in second gear about half the time.  D'OH!!  Wacko
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 7:07pm
Looks like fun....gotta love the site and sounds of an old flat fender...

When I had a driving flat-fender...I too was always trying to find another couple of gears to shift into...these Jeeps would be awesome if they came with a 5 speed from the factory...

thanks for posting.

mikeC
I am the squirrel....
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 1:42pm
Hey nofender, MB - I was curious what tuning you did to get more low end power? I was struggling a little last night to make it up some hills.... Pedal was to the medal!!! Wink Maybe it's all she got, I don't have much experience to compare to..

Thanks,
GG
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

Hey nofender, MB - I was curious what tuning you did to get more low end power? I was struggling a little last night to make it up some hills.... Pedal was to the medal!!! Wink Maybe it's all she got, I don't have much experience to compare to..

Thanks,
GG

Can't speak for NF, and we're both still chasing little demons LOL... I followed scoutpilots "timing without a light" tutorial.  I still need a little choke to idle correctly, current suspects are my wiper motor or the flares on my fuel lines.  

We pulled some serious long grades.  My 160 thermostat is currently giving me running temps in the 175 range as a rule (there is still some NH mud in my radiator, waiting till after decent driving weather to pull it and clean it properly "on the flat").  My temp on long pulls made 185ish but never touched 190 for sure.  It always recovered quickly on the subsequent downhill coast.  There wasn't any hill that, if I could get to the top of second gear at +/- 20mph, that I couldn't shift to third and just pull.  I couldn't accelerate, but it tugged well.  If I could get to 25mph at the top of second and then hit third I could generally accelerate uphill and came close to passing my guide a time or two LOL.

I don't credit any tuning as being targeted at low end torque, but rather trying to find the sweet spot tune wise and just let those long connecting rods do what they do Wink

YMMV

ETA:

Edited by mbullism - 20 Sep. 2018 at 2:52pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 2:58pm
ggordon49,

Somethings to look at:

Is your throttle plate (in carburetor) opening all the way up when you push the accelerator pedal to the metal?  If not shorten the linkage.

If you are using a mechanical fuel pump check to see if there is a shim between the block and the pump.  A shim can be used as a governor by limiting the volume of fuel that gets to the carburetor.  I don't know how fast a Cj2A with one shim will go but I can tell you from my own experience a Cj2A with 2 shims will not go faster than 35 MPH.  
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 3:04pm
Thank you sir! I have to start searching for a set of those vintage snap-on meters.. That is really great info about your speed and gear selection and gives me some perspective... I think sometimes I see cars behind me and I get a little nervous and I'm trying to go faster. Sometimes the people behind me don't give me any room and are right on my butt... I think I will spend some time adjusting my dist. Thanks Again!!

Thank you Stev!! - I will check that out

Edited by ggordon49 - 20 Sep. 2018 at 3:08pm
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

... I have to start searching for a set of those vintage snap-on meters....

You only really need one, and snap on isn't the only make (mine isn't SO).  I'm sure scout finds the pair helpfull because of the volume he does, but once you check the dwell you pretty much are only using it for a tach.  Mine only has a slide switch on it to toggle between scales.  I can shoot you a pic tonight if it helps... (I can't remember who makes it, lol... I bought it new in the late 70's Confused )

FWIW

ETA: This is what I have.

Dwell is kind of preset anyway.  If you've set your points to the correct gap it's a function of the points lobes in your dizzy.  You're basically checking for lobe wear as I understand it, and I don't know how you'd adjust it if necessary, shy of swapping the shaft out.  If you have just a tach you could basically do the same setup

Edited by mbullism - 20 Sep. 2018 at 3:48pm
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 3:33pm
They are not the fastest beasts but they are good for what they were designed for. I have stopped on a trail to BS with somebody and wondered why my V6 is so sluggish when I take off. I am in high range and in 3rd direct.
uncamonkey
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2018 at 6:46pm
GG-

Curiosity got the better of me, lol... rough numbers off google earth for one of the hills shows a 10-12% grade

ETA:  there's another one that was pencil straight, a tad over 3/4 of a mile at 8%...

Edited by mbullism - 20 Sep. 2018 at 7:15pm
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2018 at 10:56am
Agree with MB on finding the sweet spot. 

Mine runs great. But the hills highlighted an issue for sure. Temps climbed to 200 pulling some of those hills. This told me i might have a lean/timing issue. 

So I ran through the vacuum timing sequence. I realized that I missed a step prior. So, I made an adjustment. Pulled the plugs - they looked good, if just a tad on the lean end. 

So we will see if that makes a difference. I don't really care about being slow. But the heat, I don't like. 

Secondly, I'm running a 31 inch tire. Doesn't sound big. But with 60hp on a good day, it my as well be five feet tall. Tongue
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply