Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Driveline & rear spring setup sanity check

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driveline & rear spring setup sanity check
    Posted: 29 May 2020 at 7:39pm
So, I've gotten ahold of a Dauntless 225 and an SM465 and since I've turned that corner, I've decided to up my game some.  I also got a Dana 20 case so I can put my 18 guts in it with the Teralow 3.15 gear set (and yes, the tapered roller bearing intermediate shaft).  Now that I'd actually have enough engine to run highway'ish speeds, I'm thinking an overdrive.

To recap, I'm using 2/3A rear springs (Superlift 1" and Crowns) for front and rear.  I want to take a page out of Metcalf's book and raise my driveline to keep everything as near to, or above, the frame rails as possible.  The SM465's output shaft centerline to the bottom of the transmission case is about 3" deeper than the T90's and adding in the D18 looks like it will take 5" to get the bottom of the case to the frame rails.  I haven't explored any clocking options for the D18 on the 465 so that is an unknown for now.  The 5" likely represents my nominal drivetrain lift.  The centerline of the crank to bottom of the oil pan on the V6 and the L134 are about 8" so very close to the trans/TC combo.  That tells me the engine trans combo would have to be installed in the frame parallel to the ground with no rearward tilt.  I also picked up some Hardox 2" x .25" steel strip I am planning to use to armor the bottom of the frame rails so that will give me an extra quarter to hide under. 

Once I started laying out how that will work, the next thing I noticed was the rear axle spring hanger brackets.  I figure that if I went to 2.5" lift Rancho rear springs, I could french in the brackets and eliminate them as a hang point and have the fixed eye of the spring buried in the frame.  Just looking at it, it doesn't look like there are any show stoppers but has anybody gone down this road already?  I don't know what this will do, if anything, to my driveline angles.

As always, any input on any of the above is much appreciated.
A good anvil does not fear the hammer.

Instagram
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 8:33pm
My most advanced builds are basically down this same trail but I chose a few different lines than what you have proposed.
One of the different lines I took was to go with a T18 in lieu of your synchro mesh. 
Not sure about depth comparison between T18 and the 465 but I can get my drivetrain including T18/ T98 to set perfectly parallel to the frame rails. 
By parallel I mean zero angle of engine and transmission relative to frame. 
Doing so will clear body tub with zero body lift and the standard rear engine support crossmember is is not changed.

The standard rear engine support crossmember typically supports the bottom of transmission at a level of 2” below bottom of frame.
But to be more precise the lowest part of my standard parallel T98 transmission sets exactly 3” below the frame rails.
So in theory: in order to get the bottom of transmission flush you must raise engine mounts 3” above standard height.
Of course this means you will need to do major tunnel work o 
r raise body tub by an equal amount.
Again , SM 465 might set lower than a T18 ???
For direct comparison the T18 sets 8-1/4” below input/ output centerline.
So just how deep is your 465 ?

So anyway that’s something to think about for the moment and I’ll tell you my thoughts on flatty suspension when it happens.

Edited by oldtime - 29 May 2020 at 9:11pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 9:28pm
You probably won't be able to get the belly of an SM465 completely above the frame rail. Getting the D18 above the frame rail could happen. The rear output of the D18 will be just peaking above the floor of the tub....it is also going to end up right where one of the hat channels is located.

The SM465 shifter will be getting really close to the dash at this point also. The shifter cane will need a hard right coming out of the tower. You might be able to find a late model SM465 shift tower which had the shifter positioned back a decent amount ( they also shifted better in my opinion.

I would use the plate style D18/20 adapter. You really won't be able to clock things much because the D18 shift tower will be hard into the side of the transmission. That extra few inches of driveline length is really nice though.

The engine will also be wanting to poke through the hood and the bellhousing will be up high on the firewall. It is best to get the powertrain slightly forward to move the bellhousing out of the tunnel a bit more. The tunnel ( and toolbox if you have a civi jeep ) will need completely rebuilt.

I would shoot for having the t-case above the frame, and then have the SM465 belly hang down a wee bit with a skidplate over it. Make the new transmission crossmember mount to the INSIDE of the frame, not under it. Your thinking right to plate the bottom of the frame with material. I would try to avoid any fasteners for the crossmember of skidplates pointing down. Make it all as smooth as possible. The stock pedal pivot under the frame needs to go too.

Getting the rear spring hangers up out of the way is a great idea. I would be nervous about taking out that much material from a stock frame however. An alternative idea would be to outboard the rear spring mounts and move them up. Then move the shack mounts outboard on the bumper to match. I would take a careful look at where you want the rear axle position for your chosen tire size. With a 35" tire having the rear axle back about 1.5" from stock works well.

The stock front spring hangers are not nearly as annoying falling 'onto' them usually VS trying to drag the vehicle UP onto the rear hangers.

It will make the driveline angles steeper, but not critical if you keep the overall lift conservative. It will pull the driveshafts up in the chassis which is nice in the rocks.

The final question will be how high you can push the engine up under the hood. Reducing the height of the engine is tough. You will likely be on the verge of needing to poke something through on a low hood flatty. That is the line in the sand for many.

I hope that helps. Devil is in the details.
42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

For direct comparison the T18 sets 8-1/4” below input/ output centerline.
So just how deep is your 465 ?

Thank you for that.  Once I get the SM4654/D18 adapter I'll know better just where it all will sit.  I would rather use a T18, if for no other reason than saving the weight, but can't find one local and I did manage to get two SM465's for $75 so there's that.

Just taking a quick measurement using a square the SM465 is around 8.75" to 9" from belly of case to input centerline.

Instagram
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by Metcalf Metcalf wrote:

You probably won't be able to get the belly of an SM465 completely above the frame rail. Getting the D18 above the frame rail could happen. The rear output of the D18 will be just peaking above the floor of the tub....it is also going to end up right where one of the hat channels is located.

The SM465 shifter will be getting really close to the dash at this point also. The shifter cane will need a hard right coming out of the tower. You might be able to find a late model SM465 shift tower which had the shifter positioned back a decent amount ( they also shifted better in my opinion.

I would use the plate style D18/20 adapter. You really won't be able to clock things much because the D18 shift tower will be hard into the side of the transmission. That extra few inches of driveline length is really nice though.

The engine will also be wanting to poke through the hood and the bellhousing will be up high on the firewall. It is best to get the powertrain slightly forward to move the bellhousing out of the tunnel a bit more. The tunnel ( and toolbox if you have a civi jeep ) will need completely rebuilt.

I would shoot for having the t-case above the frame, and then have the SM465 belly hang down a wee bit with a skidplate over it. Make the new transmission crossmember mount to the INSIDE of the frame, not under it. Your thinking right to plate the bottom of the frame with material. I would try to avoid any fasteners for the crossmember of skidplates pointing down. Make it all as smooth as possible. The stock pedal pivot under the frame needs to go too.

Getting the rear spring hangers up out of the way is a great idea. I would be nervous about taking out that much material from a stock frame however. An alternative idea would be to outboard the rear spring mounts and move them up. Then move the shack mounts outboard on the bumper to match. I would take a careful look at where you want the rear axle position for your chosen tire size. With a 35" tire having the rear axle back about 1.5" from stock works well.

The stock front spring hangers are not nearly as annoying falling 'onto' them usually VS trying to drag the vehicle UP onto the rear hangers.

It will make the driveline angles steeper, but not critical if you keep the overall lift conservative. It will pull the driveshafts up in the chassis which is nice in the rocks.

The final question will be how high you can push the engine up under the hood. Reducing the height of the engine is tough. You will likely be on the verge of needing to poke something through on a low hood flatty. That is the line in the sand for many.

I hope that helps. Devil is in the details.

Thank you.  Do you have a part number on that shift tower?  Or a picture?  Be interested in pursuing that.  I had planned on using this Advance Adapter kit: https://www.advanceadapters.com/products/50-4703--gm-sm465-4-speed-transmission--to-jeep--dana-18-or-20-transfer-case-adapters-short-style/

I wonder if or how much a SM465 could be shaved?  I have a spare case to experiment with.  That could be a fun project.

I'll look hard at outboarding the rear springs.  On recessing the rear spring brackets, my thinking was just to plate the outside of the frame rail, box in the mount, then box the inside of the rail.  Run a bolt through the whole section and spring eye.  The springs are only 1.75" so it seems to me like it'd be an easy mod and in the end, no strength lost.  I'd lose material on the lower flange where the spring travels, but would add material with the new inner web, plate over the outer web, plus the bracket boxing.  I'll look at it hard before I commit either way.

I had planned on moving my rear axle back an 1" anyways.  I'll go to 1.5"  I've also planned on moving my front axle forward 2.5-3".  I've already built new tube bumpers for it anyway so that's easy.

I have a couple of spare hoods.  Hopefully I won't need them!

Thanks again for the assistance.

Instagram
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 12:30am
 Yes that’s exactly what I had assumed, the 465 increases both depth and width as compared to a T18
I can assure you that clocking the transfer case upward from standard Jeep clocking position will be of zero benefit concerning depth.
My T98 and D18 parking drum are at the exact same depth when using a Jeep adapter plate.
In other words my flat skid plate just clears both the park drum and also lowest portion of the T98.
And so I’m wondering; Do you plan to raise the Dauntless higher in the engine bay than the factory height ?
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 12:49am

And so I’m wondering; Do you plan to raise the Dauntless higher in the engine bay than the factory height ?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm planning to do.

Instagram
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 1:47am
Yeah I,m beginning to see where the sanity check comes into play.
In order to get a truly flat belly pan you”ll need to raise the engine and body mounts about 4-1/4” upward.
Possibly too then the skid plate becomes an integral part of the frame.
Also perhaps the standard type pedal pivot bracket could be relocated on top of frame instead of below.

Perhaps someone else should now provide a sanity check.
Ha ha ha Ha ha ha ! Ha ha ha !

Edited by oldtime - 30 May 2020 at 1:53am
Zero aftermarket parts

chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 3:16am
You could do as I'm doing, go with yj springs and french them in. There is a wide verity of springs for them on the market, from different lifts to different load ratings. The frenching kit I'm using is from Ruff Stuff. Seems to be a nice product that is used on much heavier rigs.
Jay

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 4:15am
I would ditch the e-brake on the T-case for more clearance.
It also gives you another inch of driveline length if you change the yoke.

Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

You could do as I'm doing, go with yj springs and french them in. There is a wide verity of springs for them on the market, from different lifts to different load ratings. The frenching kit I'm using is from Ruff Stuff. Seems to be a nice product that is used on much heavier rigs.
Jay

I looked pretty hard at swapping to YJ springs.  I might still.  I'd have to replace all my springs, shackles, and other assorted hardware I've already accumulated.  I haven't even finished the first CJ and I probably already have parts for two more.  I'm down hard in my back today so I'll have plenty of time to consider it.  In for a penny, in for a pound and all that...

What springs did you end up getting?

Instagram
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 6:20pm

Already ditched the drum unit and am going with a 7" disc.  That saves me about an inch on ground clearance.  Hadn't considered a yoke change.  Would the shorter yoke be compatible with a rotor like the stock unit is?

Instagram
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 6:53pm
I’m certainly not saying you need to run a typical propeller shaft brake drum. 
But like I said removing it does you no good toward additional clearance if your TC has standard Jeep drop.
The T18 four speed transmission will set the exact same depth as the internal expanding park drum and your 465 will set even lower.
So when building with any deep four speed I see no reason to remove the drum concerning belly clearance.
I do agree you can gain right at 1” propeller shaft length when switching from a companion flange is to a yoke.
Zero aftermarket parts

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 7:27pm

I’m certainly not saying you need to run a typical propeller shaft brake drum. 
But like I said removing it does you no good toward additional clearance if your TC has standard Jeep drop.
The T18 four speed transmission will set the exact same depth as the internal expanding park drum and your 465 will set even lower.
So when building with any deep four speed I see no reason to remove the drum concerning belly clearance.
I do agree you can gain right at 1” propeller shaft length when switching from a companion flange is to a yoke.

My T18 is lower than my D18, but about 1.5" without the ebrake.

Having the extra clearance near the frame rail is nice. More would be better.
I am seriously considering making a custom pan for my D18 when I go through things to eliminate the depth required for the drain plug. A new HD pan tight to the gears could gain me almost another full inch of clearance in that area.

Having extra clearance past the transmission belly is nice, especially when trying to work ledges. That extra clearance at the back of the belly ( behind the rear crossmember ) pays dividends. This would also be a good driver for the frenched rear spring hangers....or ones outboarded and moved up. Getting the driveshafts up inside the chassis is the next thing to worry about.

The more belly clearance the better typically as long as you can keep overall height as compact as possible. A stock flatty with the belly completely flat from spring to spring without the pedal pivot hanging down would be an outstanding improvement.

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Anvil Anvil wrote:

Already ditched the drum unit and am going with a 7" disc.  That saves me about an inch on ground clearance.  Hadn't considered a yoke change.  Would the shorter yoke be compatible with a rotor like the stock unit is?

I just used a front yoke basically on the rear. That saved over an inch of driveline length with the stock rear output shaft. I don't think it would be compatible with a disc.

chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 4:59pm

Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

Jay

I looked pretty hard at swapping to YJ springs.  I might still.  I'd have to replace all my springs, shackles, and other assorted hardware I've already accumulated.  I haven't even finished the first CJ and I probably already have parts for two more.  I'm down hard in my back today so I'll have plenty of time to consider it.  In for a penny, in for a pound and all that...

What springs did you end up getting?

I went with the Rubicon Express RE1445, only because that is what y friend had in his shop. Once it's tabbed up I will probably experiment with them. I like the Old Man Emu has different ratings on them.
Jay
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 5:51pm

I wonder if or how much a SM465 could be shaved?  I have a spare case to experiment with.  That could be a fun project.

There where a few shaved NP435s floating around pirate back in the day. It made a pretty big difference.

Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 7:34pm

There where a few shaved NP435s floating around pirate back in the day. It made a pretty big difference.

Wow.  That is nice.  Just poking around inside the 465 it looks to me like you could net around 3/4" after you replated it.  Maybe an 1".

Instagram
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>