Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dualmatic Hub Parts in Production

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dualmatic Hub Parts in Production
    Posted: 06 Jan. 2017 at 7:41pm
I have a couple of much needed Dualmatic hub parts in production as I write this quick note.

I have the unique opportunity to re-create a couple of long sought after pieces to breath new life into these hubs, but before I spill the beans, I wanted to get some feedback from the members of this great brotherhood to sample the water.

Which parts would you like to see brought back to life? Your answers will be very important to me moving forward with demand, pricing, etc..

Thanks ahead of time, Tim
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2017 at 3:51am
The washers for the bolts would be cool. Weren't they kind of special with little fold over tabs? Maybe I'm thinking of a different brand..........
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2017 at 5:11am
Dave,

Yes, that is one of the items that I have being produced. I also should be receiving the gasket that is sandwiched between the two halves of the hub body itself (not between hub and drum) shortly.

I actually had enough remnants of the original hub body gasket between both left and right hubs to re-create the part. The gasket thickness and actual internal cutouts (for cams) were critical to seeing it be as accurate as possible to the originals.

I'm hoping this helps a lot more of the old Dualmatics stay in service. I will have enough gaskets and washers to rehab 100 complete pairs of hubs.

The washers will be of 18 gauge cold rolled steel, laser cut to spec, and finished with a clear zinc coating to help withstand the elements. The gaskets will be just shy of 0.5mm in thickness and die cut using Flexoid treated gasket material.

Tim

Edited by timcj2a - 12 May 2017 at 7:38pm
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2017 at 5:35am
I need the washers too.
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
bverboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bverboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2017 at 10:16am
can you post pics of the available parts?
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2017 at 3:53pm
I will post mock up photos as soon as I get the gaskets in a few days. The washers are 2-3 weeks away. All I have right now are my shop drawings.

Edited by timcj2a - 07 Jan. 2017 at 3:59pm
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2017 at 12:25am
I never liked those fold-over washers.  I had too hard a time getting the wheels off and on with those washers there. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2017 at 1:01am
The gaskets just came, here are a few hurried photos. 

Edited by timcj2a - 08 Jan. 2017 at 1:04am
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2017 at 1:13am
The washers are being cut to match the originals as close as possible. An archive photo is shown below.

1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2017 at 1:37am
  What part would I like to see reproduced? The main body. Most of the DualMatic hubs in my collection have had the attaching bolts overtightened so badly that the body is distorted beyond belief.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2017 at 6:36pm
BW, isn`t that the truth, most of mine are in the same shape.

Dennis
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
48-52 CJ Series Bubba Jeep
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2017 at 2:57am
I wish I had the resources to reproduce the entire hub.
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2017 at 3:51am
If they didn't require modifying the axle(castle nut) I would buy a few sets.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2017 at 4:13am
Originally posted by Bufordjeep Bufordjeep wrote:

If they didn't require modifying the axle(castle nut) I would buy a few sets.

Do you mean cutting the threaded ends off?  My Dualmatics will take the threaded end and nut.  Some were made that way and some weren't.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2017 at 2:53pm
I'd love a set of the gaskets, those are very nice. As for the washers, I had a set someone else produced and I could not get the wheels off over them so I took them off and sold them at a swap meet!

1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2017 at 6:47pm
So what's the deal with the washers? I can see that taking the wheel off with the tight tolerance between the Dualmatic and the wheel opening might cause an interference but was that not a problem that was thought of beforehand? Is that why we don't see those original washers around? I have Dualmatics that only have regular lock washers. Is that why the originals are so rare......guys just got sick of removing the Dualmatic bolts just to remove the wheels?
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2017 at 7:30pm
damar2yxr said: "guys just got sick of removing the Dualmatic bolts just to remove the wheels?"
  I don't know about anybody else, but it'd only take about one time for me... Ouch Angry     BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2017 at 2:20am
My guess would be that the Dualmatic designers/engineers may have taken into consideration the material their hubs were constructed of and decided that split washers and external/internal tooth washers were too aggressive to positively lock up the bolts. Just look at how deep the gouges are on most sets.
With the limited amount of miles these jeeps see nowadays, how often does one need to remove the wheels, except in extreme cases? But, I agree that the added thickness the washer adds to the circumference of the hub must have been taken into consideration.
I guess I' ll see first hand when I receive them in a week or more.
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>