Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dualmatic hubs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (Name Blocked) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dualmatic hubs
    Posted: 02 Jan. 2007 at 9:25am
If you could find a pair what are they worth. I have never seen then offered for sale before.

thanks in advance
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2007 at 9:40am
working, needing cleaned up $25-$50 /  very clean like the set on WT $50-$100..low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2007 at 11:47am
Inflation has been hitting these too.  They're going on ebay for more like $60-80, w/out sufficient details to know if they're really good or not.

Many of these old beasts have been sorely abused, not from use, but from improper reassembly.  Bolts torqued so tight that the aluminum tops warp.  Use of toothed or split lockwashers which then gouge out the top caps.  Top assembled to base w/camlocks outside their machined recess, leads to breakage of the hub body.

All in all, buyer beware!  I've passed on many sets simply because the seller could not/would not provide enough details.

There were also many styles made:

Dualmatic Hubs

If you're going to put them on axles w/threaded ends, you have to get the long ones.

Sean
gnkhoffman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnkhoffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2007 at 12:30pm

There were a set on my 2a when I drug it home; it had the bendix axles, which I replaced with spicers.  I put the hubs back on and they seem to work fine.  Am I missing something?

Gary Hoffman
gnkhoffman
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2007 at 12:58pm
Gary:
Quote Am I missing something?
Not at all.

Your Bendix axles w/threaded ends require a long hub, which were already installed.  Spicer axles don't have the threads so are shorter.

A long hub works with both threaded and non-threaded axles.

A short hub will ONLY work on non-threaded axles.

Sean
gnkhoffman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnkhoffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2007 at 4:13pm
Sean:

Thanks!  Mine are type "A", and are 2 1/2" thick (top and body together).  they had no bushing nor bearing.  All I had to do was clean them up, paint them (there was no indication of original color), and put in new "0" rings.  They work great.

Gary Hoffman
gnkhoffman
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2007 at 8:31pm
I'm working on mine as we speak, getting ready for paint, hardest part was getting the rusted springs and detent balls out of the bores, new springs from my toolbox at work, and detent balls from the trans shop I deal with.  These bring back some of my earliest memories of 4 wheeling, my uncle had a jeep wagon (not sure of the year, it wasn't new and this would have been in the 50's) and I still remember the first time I saw him locking the hubs in, couldn't figure out what he was doing until he explained it to me. Funny how some of the early memories stick. I found the picture description regardeing restoring dualmatic hubs on the CJ3 page enlightening. Always something to work on.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply