Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dualmatic top hardware

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dandjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2021 at 5:18pm
WOW! This is a gem! Gonna print this off! Thanks!

47 cj2a
Warn O/D
03 Rubicon

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2021 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by dandjeep dandjeep wrote:

Got 'em! Thanks!

Payment received....thank you, hope they help on your project. Approve

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
dandjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dandjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2021 at 7:43pm
Ok. Running into a problem. I located the tub brackets with the measurement from the Bestop manual. That is 30 3/4 inches from the back  of the tub to the front screw hole. I have everything installed to what I believe is right, but it’s so tight I can’t get it snapped in back. Even put two ratchet straps and tried to stretch it but boy, just doesn’t seem to want to fit. So close. Do you think it would help to try Rich Ms measurement? Seem to be a little farther forward.

Edited by dandjeep - 06 Oct. 2021 at 7:45pm

47 cj2a
Warn O/D
03 Rubicon

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2021 at 8:13pm
Did you confirm the measurement from the w/s top to the back of the tub?
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
dandjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dandjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2021 at 8:44pm
Yes. It is 66 1/2 right on. Looked and studied and just can't see exactly where the problem lies.Confused Everything looks just right around the doors and the bows.

Edited by dandjeep - 06 Oct. 2021 at 8:46pm

47 cj2a
Warn O/D
03 Rubicon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2021 at 10:39pm
I have the brackets like Chad sent.  I see the other type that has 3 holes along the bottom for the rear.  I can't say that would make any difference.

But, I remember my top being very snug and noticed a big difference when installing on a warm day/in the sunlight.  Try to put it on after sunset was mostly a waste of time.  I did usually have to pull down the rear bow (top and all) to get the snaps started on the tailgate.

Maybe some photos might help since some are still using the old tops - they may spot something right off.

Edited by Rus Curtis - 07 Oct. 2021 at 11:16am
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2021 at 10:58pm
X 2 on the sunlight.  Let it have as much sun as possible, then leave it and don't take it down/off for awhile.

The back ought to be pretty tight....its more aggravating that way but will look a lot better than a loose fit.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2021 at 7:24am
x3. you want that sucker tight!
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2021 at 8:49am
I have been known to set an electric heater in the cab to warm the top and sides up for the final snapdown. Makes it easier, not easy, but easier. lol
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2021 at 11:08am
FWIW, I am currently installing a newly purchased Bestop Tiger Top on my 2A with a 3A windshield. If you would like any measurements from my installation, I will certainly supply. One thing I notice that seems to very between old/new and 2A/3A is how the top fastens to the windshield.  One fastens into the existing channel on the top front of the w/s and the other uses a "C" channel inserted into a bracket bolted to the top of the w/s

Fltfndr

Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
dandjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dandjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2021 at 10:30pm
OK. Got it on! Tried to post pictures and I've done it before but I must have lost my touch. Sun was finally out today and it sat out a couple hours and with a little persuasion I got it handled. pretty nice fit. I knew the sun would help but didn't really think it would help this much. I guess 86 this time of year was allright for this job! thanks for all the help and advice. Dan

47 cj2a
Warn O/D
03 Rubicon

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2021 at 9:17am
I like that electric heater trick....maybe try that (carefully) since its on and snapped to relieve the places that need stretching a tad.

Maybe just hit those problem spots with a heat gun (again, carefully).

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2021 at 12:56pm
I never dropped the top when the weather was cool.  If I needed air, I'd remove the doors but the top stayed up till next spring/summer.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12