Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Early retirement project 1959 CJ3 B (Roxanne)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhenke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2019 at 6:50pm
Anymore progress?  Like seeing progress pictures.
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2019 at 7:03am

Making some progress. Brian & his Father made some cool motor mounts & helped me get the engine/ transmission installed. I removed the PO engine mounts for the V6 that was in there as it was a mess. I had to remove some of the original metal from the inside of the frame to get it cleaned up. It was replaced with a thicker plate to help reinforce the frame.

Finished cleaning up the frame. Next step, getting the frame painted in POR-15

Off to the muffler shop. It was a lot of fun getting the exhaust to fit around everything. It's going to take a little work to get the skid plate notched to clear the exhaust. I also need to make a skid plate for the oil pan. The big brown truck brought a nice new aluminum radiator last week. I've made new radiator mounts for it. I don't have any photos yet. I have some work to do on the grill & need hoses.
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2019 at 1:21pm
Looking good JW! Your going to need to kick it in high gear to have it ready for Rush Springs next week!
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2019 at 7:20am

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2019 at 1:03pm
That radiator looks good in there. Your not far from setting sheet metal back on!
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2019 at 4:09pm
Jeep with great potential !
Body on this rig looks real nice in the pics. 
But I guess the color also helps to hide some stuff.

The interesting thing about the 1959 3B is that it is the specific model and vintage that I consider to be the 
"CENTRAL STANDARD TIME PROVEN UNIVERSAL JEEP".

In other words the 1959 3B components and assemblies are the most interchangeable with both earlier and later vintage universal jeeps. 
Moreso than any other model or vintage. 
That jeep will interchange with more earlier and later jeeps than any other model or vintage.
FWI and the 1959 CJ-5 is the next closest competition to that title.

This is proven via the timeline and duration for ALL of the various component assemblies used.

Just one example: 
The Heart of the Jeep; meaning the transfer case. 
The small index bore 2.46 ratio transfer case had the longest production run for any of the various transfer cases used.
I was used from mid 1954 through 1971. 
That is a production span of 17 years for the small bore 2.46 TC and was used longer than any other transfer case assembly that jeep ever installed.
I've observed all the Jeep universal changes and progressions.
Crunched all the duration figures and time lines and the 1959 3B wins the title via unbiased conclusion.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2019 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

...1959 3B wins the title via unbiased conclusion.

If only it weren't so ugly...  Smile 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 4:45am
I put the tub back on this weekend to check for clearance issues at the firewall. Not to bad.I also instaled the fenders & grill. I'm starting to install a few things on the grill, headlight buckets, grill welt & radiator deflector felt. I'm going to use a old Pyrene fire extinguisher for a overflow tank.
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 2:14pm
You are doing really good work and the pictures are first rate.  Are you keeping the engine driven fan?  It looks like your fan is not centered on the radiator.   I had cooling issues as the fan on my pinto engine conversion was low on the radiator.  An electric fan has cured the issue.
Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by 47heater 47heater wrote:

I'm going to use a old Pyrene fire extinguisher for a overflow tank.

Looks kinda familiar..... Big smile

Edited by rocnroll - 28 May 2019 at 2:36pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2019 at 12:38pm
 I'm liking this build.. Recently picked up another 3b myself. I have a barn full of oddfires, but was thinking even fire. What fly wheel did you get for the even fire?
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2019 at 8:12am
The flywheel was on the engine the PO had installed. Not real sure what it came out of. I think it was from a 1980 Buick Regal Sport. The 10" clutch for it is Part # K1675-10 from O-Reilly's.
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2019 at 9:15am
Getting a few things done.

Finished the gas tank for the passenger to sit on. Only fair I have to sit on the other one. The dual tanks will mirror each other.

Finished the rear bumper. I'm going to borrow Rajo's spare tire holder design.
Also got the skid plate for the oil pan made.
I just received 2 custom made drive shafts from Tom Woods Drive Shafts.
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2019 at 3:59am

Not much going on lately. Installed lock-rite lockers in both the front & rear.

Installed heavy/thicker diff. covers on both the front & rear.
We have been working on the body a little. The plan is to replace the hat channels & front floor pans. We'll do some work on the rocker panel area with some kind of rock sliders.
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2019 at 6:56am
I promised my grandsons that I would finish having the floorboards & hat channels welded in before Christmas. They ask every time they come over when is it going to be finished. I picked it up & brought it home on Sat. I needed to get the seats installed so they could play in it.

Loading tub back on to frame.

One man job! Rock sliders on the rocker panels should give me a little protection. They are a little hard to see in the photo.

Seat frame, seats, dual gas tanks & roll cage.The seat frame isn't finished. I still need to trim the rear legs to lower the seats. Good enough for the kids to play on Christmas Eve.

Edited by 47heater - 23 Dec. 2019 at 6:58am
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2019 at 8:41pm
Your grandsons will love it!
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2019 at 9:03pm
Are there better/close up pictures of the rock sliders ?
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2019 at 8:31am

The slider is just a 2" piece of angle iron. Roll cage is not tied into the frame yet. You can see the rock slider is also tied into the hat channel. I'm not sure if I'll be able to attach it to any place that the roll cage is attaches to the frame. The photo may be a little confusing with the gas filler opening on the passenger side, but I'm putting in dual tanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>