Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Easter Jeep Safari 2018 - Event Date: 24 Mar. 2018 - 01 Apr. 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2018 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Watching these videos and reliving our week in Moab is awesome. As I have been watching the videos it almost seems to me like I am driving a smaller Jeep that Rick. 

Well...I wasn't going to mention it, but Stan has me busted.  It is true.  Gus is WAAAAAYYY big.  Here's a photo of Sydney standing on my bumper taking a picture of Gus.  Big smile

Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2018 at 10:46am
Rick space----------LOL That was funny. I think the picture of you two standing together is the real size difference. When Stan sits in his seat and lurches, Grampa's Jeep moves! I also was noticing your tire size and wondered about your final ratio with the large circumference. I think it makes a significant difference between the two Jeeps. 

Dave getting the lock pin out of his steering bellcrank is lucky. Those can be real tough in a shop with all the tools. The WW2 pins are  worse due to them being on the axle with no room or access to remove the lock pin. You end up drilling down the center and threading the lock pin hole and then used a bolt and spacer to pull it out. Ouch

Carrying the right spare that someone breaks is a matter of luck and experience. You guys amaze me. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2018 at 5:05pm
Oilleaker1,
    I  agree that I was lucky to be able to remove the pin and lock pin in a field repair.  Here is how we did it:

1. I has a long punch in my tool bag and a standard hammer to remove the lock pin.  Also had some WD-40 to spray on these parts.

2. The top of the pin sheared off flush with the bellcrank, so the only way to get to it was from the top.

3. We thought we would have to dump the radiator, but instead, we removed the bolts from the bottom of the radiator and the adjustment bar on the top of the radiator and pushed the radiator back about 2 inches with all the hoses still connected.

4. I started soaking the pin from the top with WD-40 and I could tell it was soaking down into the pin.  I used the long punch and standard hammer to pound the pin put from the top, but that only moved the pin by about 1/16th"

5. Rick had a 3/4" piece of steal about 20" long and a large hammer and that did the trick moving the pin through the bellcrank much faster.

I did not replace the bearings, just put the new pin in and lock pin.  It took about 3 of us to get the steering lined up and connected back together with the bolt, washer, and cotter pin.

Today I want out and inspected the underside of the jeep and found some additional damage.  It appears I hit one of the drivers spring U-bolts and the one of the rear passenger U-bolts hard enough that they should be replaced.  Pictures attached:

Open to any suggestions on sourcing high quality replacements.  I know the usual suppliers of CJ2A parts but I've also read some bad reviews on the cheap quality of some of the U-bolts out there.  Also, is there a better way to protect the bottoms of the U-bolts?

Front:

Rear:

Thanks,
Dave

dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2018 at 5:09pm
Rick,

Sydney enjoyed the picture of her standing on your bumper. Smile

Dave
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2018 at 6:32pm
Dave,
We had a pretty good discussion on built skid plates in this thread.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2018 at 8:23pm
If you look on page 19 of my build thread you can see the unbolt skid plates that I installed. 
Also, if you don’t do anything else, at least cut the ends of the bolts off even with the nuts. Just that will solve a lot of problems.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2018 at 11:01pm
Stan,

Thanks for the references.  Did you purchase the set you used on your jeep or did you have them made?  If you purchased them, can you point me to the vendor?

Thanks,
Dave
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2018 at 11:23pm
Dave,
I bought mine from this guy on eBay. This is not the same listing, but may or may not be the same parts. Remember that the front need to have one side has two holes that are a little bit wider apart than the rest due to on unbolt being a little bigger than the other three.

I just cut the extra mount off.

He doesn’t seem to be listing the rear set anymore. You might contact him.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2018 at 11:36pm
Thanks!

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2018 at 5:02am
Here's a video of the Fins & Things trail.  We didn't do all of it, but it did had a variety of moderate obstacles.  It was a fun trail and a really good one to start on for us Moab novices.

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2018 at 5:25am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Here's a video of the Fins & Things trail.  We didn't do all of it, but it did had a variety of moderate obstacles.  It was a fun trail and a really good one to start on for us Moab novices.

Thanks for the vid Rick. Since I missed this one. Now I have to go back down and do it.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2018 at 2:19am
Rick, 
   Thanks for posting the video and it was great to start out on Fins and Things as a novice myself.  I spent most of the winter assembling the willys so it was nice to test it out on a moderate run first.

Dave
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2018 at 11:43pm
Here is a great video that Mike Austin put together for the Friday Flat Fender Fun Run. It is "part 1" so hopefully there is an equally good "part 2" in the works.

aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2018 at 1:39am
Very nice, thanks Brian.  Which trail was that again?  Were there many Land Rovers there (or other makes)?  How did they fare?
Tom
1949 CJ3A

Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2018 at 2:11am
Originally posted by aboyandhisdog aboyandhisdog wrote:

Very nice, thanks Brian.  Which trail was that again?  Were there many Land Rovers there (or other makes)?  How did they fare?

The trail is called “The Pickle”.  That Land Rover was the only “non Jeep” vehicle on the trail that day and he tagged along at the end. I found it quite entertaining to watch that giant rig (by comparison to our little flat fender Jeeps) squeeze through the obstacles on the trail. 

Elsewhere at EJS there was a variety of makes and models other than Jeep. Although I did not see many of them in action, I am sure they did very well if for no other reason their longer wheelbase. 
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2018 at 2:25am
Brian,

Nice job on the video!  Looking forward to part 2.

Dave
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2018 at 3:03am
Originally posted by Bridog Bridog wrote:

Originally posted by aboyandhisdog aboyandhisdog wrote:

The trail is called “The Pickle”.  That Land Rover was the only “non Jeep” vehicle on the trail that day and he tagged along at the end. I found it quite entertaining to watch that giant rig (by comparison to our little flat fender Jeeps) squeeze through the obstacles on the trail. 

Elsewhere at EJS there was a variety of makes and models other than Jeep. Although I did not see many of them in action, I am sure they did very well if for no other reason their longer wheelbase. 

Wondering if you noticed any '60's era Scouts or Broncos in particular?  I've always wondered how stock Willys, Broncos, and Scouts would compare side by side.  Kind of  similar size and whatnot.  Also, any old Land Cruisers there?  Thanks a lot!
Tom
1949 CJ3A

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2018 at 4:22pm
Here is some more footage of Brian and Dale on the Gatekeeper entrance to Helldorado. I like this angle because it shows what "Blueberry's rear tire had to climb over to get through the obstacle.

Some of this footage may have been taken by Dylan or Fuzz. I don't remember but it ended up on my phone so thanks to both! I also have some video of Dylan and Blueberry on Cliffhanger that I know I didn't shoot. I'll wait for Brain to post it.    
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>