Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

E-Brake Clips (what's the deal)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E-Brake Clips (what's the deal)
    Posted: 12 May 2017 at 6:55pm
So... just got done installing the e-brake after Bubba removed it on me prior to me getting the CJ.  What's the deal with those e-brake line clips.
They are made of like 1/8 steel and bent into a loop that is far too small for the e-brake cable to fit into.  Opening and closing them (even with big pliers) is a real hassle.  Why are they made like they have to support the weight of the jeep?  All they do is hold the e-brake cable.  Sure they hold the metal ends of the cable tight so the actual inner cable slides, but come on.  What am I missing?
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 3:40am
cal.bar,

The one in the picture you posted is mounts to the transmission cross member with a 7/16 bolt.  The end of the E Brake cable should have a step in it that just fits into the clip.  The clip only holds the very last 1/2" of the cable and sets that angle the cable goes to the E Brake.  There is a second one mounts on the inside of the firewall.  Similar set up but the cable does not have the step.   

I am not sure if the clips are different sizes, but they just might be different.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 11:07am
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 2:12am
Yeah, I must have had a mis-matched set, b/c my cable WOULD NOT go into the loop of the mount, and opening the mount was quite a challenge.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 4:33am
There is a clip on the firewall and a clip on the crossmember. They look similar but they are different. If you're trying to use a crossmember clip on the firewall...or use a firewall clip on the crossmember, you will fight the fight you just fought.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
 Post Reply Post Reply