Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ECWA - Vintage Jeeps on the Blue Ridge Parkway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaiser715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ECWA - Vintage Jeeps on the Blue Ridge Parkway
    Posted: 23 Oct. 2013 at 9:10pm
Under the auspices of the East Coast Willys Association, we are planning a road trip, primarily targeting vintage Jeeps, running the full 470-mile length of the Blue Ridge Parkway across Virginia and North Carolina, in the Fall of 2014.

Information as it develops is being posted at the website jeeptour.sanlee.com

We also have a planning forum as a sub-part of the full forum at the ECWA.

If you are interested, and have a vintage "small" Jeep, MV or civilian, we'd like to have you join in.

DP
--
DP
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2013 at 5:51pm
Sounds like a dream trip! Not sure if I can make it but I am going to try. I've got to get to work on the jeep.
kaiser715 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaiser715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2013 at 7:28pm
That's why we are starting early....I got quite a list on my CJ and camping trailer to complete, have broken it down into phases (and costs) over the next 10-11 months.  Not like the Laurel Springs thing a few weeks ago, where I put in about eight straight 12-hour days to get things ready.  (including painting it outside in the dark the night before we left).
--
DP
kaiser715 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaiser715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2013 at 4:09pm
Wanting to get the date for this pinned down by the end of this month.  If you are interested, vote in the poll at ECWA http://eastcoastwillys.proboards.com/thread/397/date-poll

(Or just reply in this thread, I'll include in the tally)
--
DP
njtool View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njtool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2013 at 4:41pm
Now I have something to work towards. I have a lot to do...
1946 CJ2A #44985
1945 CJ2A #10220
M-416 Trailer
K-38 Lineman Trailer
kaiser715 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaiser715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2013 at 3:54am
OK...I'm going to call it!   With the results of the Poll, plus comments on other forums, PM's, and email, the Blue Ridge Parkway tour is set for the weekend of September 18-21, 2014.

So...schedule your vacation time, and start wrenching!
--
DP
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2013 at 12:47pm
Doubt I can get mine ready for that long of a trip but would be cool if I could get it going good enough to make the 15-20m run out to Meadows of Dan or Fancy Gap where ever you stop at.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2013 at 1:00pm
This looks like a lot of fun!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
kaiser715 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaiser715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2014 at 2:27am
UPDATE:   After several hectic weeks with family and work, I finally had some free time tonight and thought I'd work thru some emails and PM's from folks about the trip, and post some updates on the various forums.

We are looking at two nights "on the road".  I had been thinking Fancy Gap and Spruce Pine, but several people have recommended Meadows of Dan, just a few miles North of Fancy Gap, as a better place for the first night.  I am going to do some research on that.  I still need someone in each area to check out the campgrounds and get some more information.  Also, some folks may want to camp near Waynesboro, and again at Cherokee at either end of the trip, so some input on camping in those areas would be great.  I hope to have campsites firmly set in the next few weeks so folks can start making their reservations.  From past experience, most campgrounds allow two vehicles and two tents per site, so I'd recommend that everyone try and buddy up with someone on your "home" forum (ecj5, cj2apages, etc) when making your reservations...both to leave sites for others, and to cut your nightly costs.

I really don't have any idea of of how many participants there will be, and we really won't know until the ride is over...I'm not planning on any fancy registration, etc....just show up and ride, and folks can make their own campsite reservations.  From the survey and emails, it looks like most participants will be camping instead of using motels.  From the responses I have received...maybe 30 people (vehicles) have said that they are "definitely going"...from past experience, it could be a tenth of that, or double.  Many more don't want to commit to the logistics of the full length, and are just talking about riding part of a day.

If someone wants to do something like a t-shirt to commemorate the event, feel free.  Just design, post, and sell.  I got no objections.  Remember is not a site/forum specific ride, other than operating under the auspices of the ECWA (East Coast Willys Association) "Adventure Rides".  Contact the ECWA for permissions first if you are want to consider using their name/logo/etc as part of a design, though.

Each day will be mostly "play it by ear"...the morning start time being the only scheduled item.  With 40-60 year old Jeeps, we could easily be wrenching on the side of the road, towing to the next camp (or a safe place), making a parts run, or whatever.   We will try and "guestimate" waypoint times during the day, for those that want to meet up along the way.  We need someone good with GPS/mapping/websites to create a method for some sort of an interactive reporting of where we are (for those trying to meet us, and to torment those at home).

I know space is limited in the little Jeeps.  We'll be tight with 2 people and a big dog in the CJ-5.  Personally, I am hoping to have my jeep-sized trailer built by September.  If anyone that is Jeepless has an enclosed cargo trailer and would be willing to help by hauling camping gear (maybe limit to something like 1 duffel bag and 1 rubbermaid tote per person?), then maybe we can work out a contribution to your gas bill (on an individual basis).

If you have any ideas, suggestions for must-sees, side trips, a good place for a "family" photo (likely on Saturday), etc, let me know.  There are threads going on several Jeep/4x4 related forums, and, of course, the "home" forum for the trip at the ECWA.  I try and summarize information on the page http://jeeptour.sanlee.com

DP

--
DP
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2014 at 5:00am
Subscribed . .  I need to mark this on calendar.  Not too far from home.

I have been on the northern end of the Parkway several times,  but never in the Willys.  

For camping on the Waynesboro end - -> Sherando Lake is nice.   I have never camped there,  but have been there for day trips,  and it seems to have a nice campground.
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2014 at 2:51pm
Can you pull a trailer down the parkway? For some reason I was under the impression you couldn't. If that's allowed, it might help solve one of my biggest problems of how to get my tow rig and trailer from the start to the end. If we could use it as a support vehicle my wife could follow in it, and we'd have a trailer in case anybody has a breakdown, which seems likely. How are other people planning on getting their stuff moved around?
kaiser715 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaiser715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2014 at 7:00pm
AFAIK, yes.  Lots of RV's, fifth wheel campers on the parkway.  I have pulled the flatbed/cj a couple of times for a good distance with no problem.

Looking over the regulations, the only related restriction seems to be for commercial vehicles, which are prohibited.

If anyone has had a different experience, let us know.
--
DP
kaiser715 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaiser715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2014 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by NCtoy NCtoy wrote:

How are other people planning on getting their stuff moved around?

I don't remember if I said this here before or not...I have spoken with a friend (and also another rider friend as a backup plan) that is into motorcycles.  Basic plan is for me to trailer up to Waynesboro, unload the Jeep, they load the motorbikes and drive my truck and trailer to Cherokee.  Find somewhere to park it for the weekend, and they start riding North.  When I get to Cherokee, I find my truck and trailer.

As another backup, a buddy and his wife will ride up there with us (I got a crew cab), and spend the weekend on the parkway, with my truck and trailer, meeting up in Cherokee on Sunday.

Worse comes to worse, I'll just do the distance, including from home and back, in the CJ.  I'd rather not.
--
DP
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2014 at 7:33pm
Is the parkway still a relaxed drive like it was in the 70's? Just wondering what the speeds are like for the old jeeps, especially the ones  that still have the stock gearing and tires....
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

kaiser715 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaiser715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2014 at 7:41pm
yep, mostly....Speed limit is 45...that's too fast for me in a few places....either for the funky curves (what they call "decreasing radius curves") or for being able to enjoy the scenery.  (Of course, I drvie a 3/4 ton solid axle 4wd crew cab.)   30-35 is a great travelling speed.  Most people are nice and don't push...I always pull over or allow passing ASAP....most folks are happy with that speed...they just speed up when others start  pushing them.

We were up there last sept -- traffic wasn't bad at all.  We went back in mid/late oct for the leaves....traffic was really heavy, all the roadside areas were full of cars, etc...folks in a hurry to get anywhere.

I think we'll be just fine, considering it's before the fall color kicks in, and as long as we are considerate of other vehicles...allow passing, don't bunch up, pull over to let traffic by, don't all fill up the overlook parking areas, etc.

--
DP
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2014 at 7:53pm
Good to hear it is still like it was...We went there when I was a teenager and it was pretty cool, even for a 15 year old...Of course all I did back then was think how much fun it would be with a MG Midget or a motorcycle.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

briarpatch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote briarpatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2014 at 4:01pm
Not trying to hijack this thread  Wink but FBill was talking about vintage cars and motorcycles on the BRP when he was a kid. This youtube was taken (I believe) from around Spruce Pine going north. Hope to meet you'ns there in a 2A/3A/M38! Cry Well, I can't link the youtube to this post, but if you google Hang on St Christopher BRP motorcycle you should find an enjoyable 6 or 7 minute video by GuzziMoto. 
kaiser715 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaiser715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2014 at 6:52pm
linky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLGxuiLHNJk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLGxuiLHNJk
--
DP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>