Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ECWA - Vintage Jeeps on the Blue Ridge Parkway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote briarpatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2014 at 10:35pm
Thank you, Kaiser 715. It's good to keep this topic near the topThumbs Up - Stan
kaiser715 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaiser715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2014 at 6:52pm
Finally getting back around to this....sorry I have been AWOL...  Long story short, I have been the sole caregiver for an elderly uncle--severe dementia, was getting worse day-by-day this spring...he passed away on June 21st.  He was eating up 20-40 hours a week, plus trying to keep my business going.  Been working since he passed getting all the estate stuff started...he left a real mess behind.  I am finally getting some time to work on other things, I plan to spend time on trip planning this coming weekend/week.

So...the trip is still a "go", and more info coming ASAP.
--
DP
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2014 at 1:37pm

Thanks for the update,  I had almost forgotten about this. .  Added to my calendar now though. Smile

Sept. 19-21  according to http://jeeptour.sanlee.com/ 
R Qualls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R Qualls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2014 at 2:58am
I'm gonna try to make this trip, sounds like fun
1946 cj-2A x2, 1951 M38
1954 cj-3B converted to a MB
1955 m38a1 * NRA LIFE MEMBER *
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 4:08pm
Sorry to hear about your uncle. I'm still trying to make this but have a slight complication. By the time of the ride my wife will be 6 months pregnant, so she won't be able to make it. Now I'm looking for a new copilot/truck and trailer driver. Oh yeah, and my jeeps still in pieces in the garage.
kaiser715 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaiser715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2014 at 2:11am
CAMPING INFO....

I have made a couple of campground reservations for myself. and am working on a group site for one night.  We will be staying at the Staunton/Walnut Hills KOA on Thursday, September 18.  I plan to be at Milepost 0.0 of the parkway at 10AM on Friday, September 19th.  (10am, because we'll have about a 45 minute drive from the KOA to Rockfish Gap/0.0.  Anyone wanting to meet, can find us either at the KOA by 9AM, or we'll wait for a bit at milepost 0.0 of the parkway.

We have made a single site reservation for ourselves at the Fancy Gap KOA (Milepost 199.5) for Friday night.  That CG is about 1/2 mile off the parkway.  Saturday morning, if you are staying in the campground, we'll meet up there, or meet at a TBA location right at the parkway entrance (couple of gas stations, etc there).  Plan on a 9am meeting/start time at the parkway entrance/gas station/TBA.  If anyone in that area can ID a good meeting place, that would be great...from the PM's and mail I have gotten, Saturday will be the "big" day, with the most participants.

Y'all go ahead and make your reservations for these two campgrounds, or nearby motels, as you wish.

For Saturday night, I am working on a group site at the Bear Den campground in Spruce Pines.  I'll post details ASAP...I'll work it out in the next couple of days, then the first 20 or so vehicles that want to go in on it, then first-come-first-serve, paypal to me (should be about $7 per person).

I am not planning to overnight at Cherokee.  I plan to have my truck and trailer waiting for me when I get down there, and will head home shortly after reaching the terminus.

DP

--
DP
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2014 at 4:29am

Good timing that you posted just now. . I was trying to come up with plan at lunchtime today,  and was wondering where campgrounds etc. would be.

I live about a hour north of Blue Ridge milepost 0.    Logistics of getting trailer to Fancy Gap will be challenging. .   I am hoping I can work out a way to camp that Friday night,  but worst case - >  I may camp Thursday night with the group,  drive a few hours down Blue Ridge Parkway on Friday,  then come back to trailer at Staunton KOA,  via Rt11.  (might be faster than returning on parkway,  and no way I would attempt I-81, LOL  . . .  even with V6 and O.D.)

Hope to see everyone in a month!!

kaiser715 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaiser715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2014 at 2:55am
Got an email today asking several questions about Communications.

First if you have a CB in your Jeep, get it tuned and ready....I'll have mine on CH 16.

Any HAMS going??  I will be on 2M.... 146.580  KJ4DNF

FRS - never had luck with it in the CJ...ignition noise kills it for me.

Does anyone want to volunteer to post periodic updates online (at least on the ECWA forum), so folks that want to join us along the way will know about where we are?

DP

--
DP
kaiser715 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaiser715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2014 at 3:15am

CAMPING UPDATE:

Group camp isn't going to work out -- unless someone wants to front the money and make the reservation -- we had to put a new heat pump in the house last week, funds are short.... I went ahead and made a single-site reservation for myself at Bear Den.

So, to recap, the camp sites are:

Thursday night Waynesboro, VA (milepost 0.0) --- Staunton/Walnut Hills KOA
Friday night (milepost 199.5) Fancy Gap VA --- Fancy Gap KOA
Saturday night (milepost 324.Cool Spruce Pine, NC --- Bear Den Campground www.bear-den.com
--
DP
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2014 at 5:21pm
Sadly it looks like I'm out. My junk is still on jack stands. I've been so busy with work and family stuff the last month I haven't had any time in the shop. Really hate to miss. You guys have fun. I hope somebody posts some pictures!
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2014 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by NCtoy NCtoy wrote:

Sadly it looks like I'm out. My junk is still on jack stands. I've been so busy with work and family stuff the last month I haven't had any time in the shop. Really hate to miss. You guys have fun. I hope somebody posts some pictures!

HATE TO HERE THAT !! 

BEST GET IN ALL THE JEEP TIME YOU CAN BEFORE THE BABY ARRIVES Wink....

1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2014 at 3:39am
Don't worry. She already asked me to build a mount for a baby seat.
Are you going now hillbilly? There's a slim chance I might try to meet up on Saturday and ride if I get it back together. Of course if I had any free time I've got two jeeps I wanted to strip to bring to the swap meet...
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2014 at 4:57am
My current plans are to camp Thurs night with the group, then drive as far as comfortable on Friday, turn around, come back to campground, load '2A on trailer, and go home.
1) anyone else in the mile marker 0 area interested in same plan? It would be nice to have 2 vehicles returning to camp, in case one of them konks out. LOL
2) I do not currently have a co-pilot, if anyone is interested in riding on Friday (down and back), let me know.
Hope this all works out, I am looking forward to spending some time with fellow vintage Jeep owners.
-Ron
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2014 at 9:48am
Originally posted by NCtoy NCtoy wrote:

Don't worry. She already asked me to build a mount for a baby seat.
Are you going now hillbilly? There's a slim chance I might try to meet up on Saturday and ride if I get it back together. Of course if I had any free time I've got two jeeps I wanted to strip to bring to the swap meet...

TRYING TO GET AWAY ..GOT WAY BEHIND DUE TO SUB-CONTRACTOR WORK I HAD DONE OF A PART FOR A JEEP..IT CAME BACK AND BITE ME IN THE BUTT..  ALSO GETTING THINGS UP TO SNUFF FOR THE MEET..
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
kaiser715 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaiser715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2014 at 1:39am
Started a "roll call" thread over at ECWA... http://eastcoastwillys.proboards.com/thread/1178/brp-roll-call

If you are planning on going, post up there, or just PM me your name, vehicle, number of folks, plans (part of day, full trip, etc) and I will add it to that thread.

--
DP
Sixtyfour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixtyfour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2014 at 2:51pm
Would love doing this, but I have to trailer to VA. I would have no way to get trailer to NC for return. I guess loop trips will be on my radar

Have Fun!  Sixtyfour
Sixtyfour
kaiser715 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaiser715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2014 at 6:40pm
It looks like my trailer shuttle driver might fall thru...if that happens, I will be leaving the jeep on the trailer for the first day, until we get to the camp at Fancy Gap...there, I will unload, and leave the truck and trailer there.....just drive south for the rest of the trip in the CJ, then return back to Fancy Gap on Sunday and head home.

There are several folks that are just planning to park somewhere, and ride part of the day on Friday or Saturday, then double back.
--
DP
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2014 at 7:37pm
Can't believe only a few days away.   I need to start some planning!

Weather is forecasted to be nice! . .  (although a little cool in the mornings),  bring some layers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>