Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electric Fan cooling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMShrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Fan cooling
    Posted: 01 Aug. 2012 at 1:07am
I have been thinking it might be a good idea to add a electric fan to my jeep for when i'm back in the woods wheeling. I have a 2brrl carb on my jeep now and have noticed it running a little hotter when at a stop light. (not too hot) but it cools down once on the move again. I'm pretty confident on the mixture with the two 2brrl, I have looked at the spark plugs multiple times to read how its running. 

Has anyone on here added one? What brand/size did you use? is it easy to install? seems pretty simple to me.
garage gnome View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2012 at 1:49am
I run with only an electric fan. What engine? I got the biggest one I could for mine. Summit makes it easy, you can search for a specific size (diameter or CFM).
Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2012 at 3:15am
I run an electric fan, dual electric fans rather, on my MB with a datsun ( wide short ) radiator. The electric fans come off a Chrysler New Yorker if I remember right...

Anyways, I have to run electrics since my engine is in such an odd location, a mechanical fan just won't work. 

I would say my cooling system is marginal overall. 

The biggest problem with most flat fenders is getting the hot air off the radiator back OUT from under the hood. The engine compartments are just tight in general. The air cleaner usually sucks hot underhood air also complicating the problem. 

Things to check...

Do you have a good fan shroud? A cooling system will NOT work at its best performance without one.....be it an electric or mechanical fan. 

If you take the hood off and drive around does the problem go away? This is usually a good indicator of hot air getting trapped under the hood and not enough air flow. Be careful though, this can fix the shroud problem too, so get a good shroud first. 

Possible underhood air flow helpers...

-Shim the back of the hood a bit
-Hood louvers over the exhaust manifold(s)
-Remove some of the inner fenders

Just a few thoughts. Good luck with your project.

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

brandon219 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandon219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2012 at 5:12am
Originally posted by shrom2a shrom2a wrote:

I have been thinking it might be a good idea to add a electric fan to my jeep for when i'm back in the woods wheeling. I have a 2brrl carb on my jeep now and have noticed it running a little hotter when at a stop light. (not too hot) but it cools down once on the move again. I'm pretty confident on the mixture with the two 2brrl, I have looked at the spark plugs multiple times to read how its running. 

Has anyone on here added one? What brand/size did you use? is it easy to install? seems pretty simple to me.

I bought a Derale 1450cfm from summit.... It slide into the shroud and onto radiator like it was meant for it. You could not get anything bigger in there, I mean slide in. I have no issues. I can post part number if you cant find it
Brandon

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/propane-flattie_topic23877.html
CMShrom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMShrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2012 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by brandon219 brandon219 wrote:

Originally posted by shrom2a shrom2a wrote:

I bought a Derale 1450cfm from summit.... It slide into the shroud and onto radiator like it was meant for it. You could not get anything bigger in there, I mean slide in. I have no issues. I can post part number if you cant find it

If you could post the part number that would be great you have any pictures of in place?

Metcalf: Those are good points, I do have a good shroud at least i think? it looks to be in brand new still. With my compressor/tank under the hood along with the power steering pump, That probably does help much as far as getting the hot air out. So i might want to do like you said about getting the hot air to flow.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2012 at 2:00am
I used a late model Ford Taurus fan for my non-stock jeep. It has a Mercruiser 4 cyl and an aluminum Mustang radiator. It works well with a home-made shroud. The key piece to this puzzle was the adjustable fan controller that allows fine tuning of the on/off cycling.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
CMShrom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMShrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2012 at 2:30am
Did you guys have the fan addition to the original fan blade on the engine? or do you take that off and just run the electric?
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2012 at 2:43am
Electric only.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandon219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2012 at 12:46pm
Electric only, Summit RAcing part number DER-16514.. These are old pics ive had on here for a bit, when i said this fan just barely slid in i meant BARELY!!! Didnt need to force it in, slid in

The only thing i will say is, i had to move my radiator over to pass side about 3 inches for the steering conversion.. If the radiator is in original location, since the fan is a pull type fan it sits behind radiator (of course) but it will be a real tight fit between rad. and water pump. This fan was also the skinniest one i found

Brandon

Daniel_Buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2012 at 4:05pm
How loud is it?

My jeep starts running kind of hot when I'm offroad (does fine in town, even in slow traffic).  I'm contemplating putting a pusher fan on the outside of the radiator, if there's room, to supplement the mechanical fan.  Not sure if I really want to give up the mechanical fan entirely though.

Edited by Daniel_Buck - 02 Aug. 2012 at 4:06pm
2a #40500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandon219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2012 at 4:22pm
Actually the fan i posted is interchangeable push/pull...  You hear fan only at idle really, the noise isn't enough to say so.. The advantage to putting a push fan outside of radiator is that you could run a bigger fan opposed to sliding a pull fan behind rad. Only disadvantages are that 1. you see the fan, which who cares i guess.... 2. Would be that its liable to get damaged from debris, that's what i'd be worried about if you do any wheeling. Or get a grill screen to protect it
Brandon

mderick25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mderick25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2012 at 4:58pm
Good thread with lots of great input, thanks.
I have a V6 in my jeep, and it runs a touch hot.
I don't have a shroud, but don't really know where to start in making or finding one that would fit and look OK.
I have been thinking about a push fan as well.
I think think it's time to have a look and see what fits.
has anyone else tried a push fan, and has left the stock fan on?

CMShrom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMShrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2012 at 5:10pm
Thanks guys this has been a big help. I think I'm going to go with the pull fan replacing the mechanical one. I like the idea of it being in the engine compartment over being seen through the grill.
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2012 at 9:34pm
Flat fenders tend to have a lot of cooling issues because the engine compartments are so tight. 

A great test for cooling capacity is to drive around with the hood off. If that gets rid of your cooling problems generally it means you have a problem getting the hot air off the radiator back OUT of the engine compartment. It doesn't matter if you have a super huge fan if you can't get the air out. You will see a lot of old school V8 flat fenders with louvered hood, minimal inner fenders, cowl vents, the rear of the hood raised, etc....

A fan needs a shroud, period. It doesn't matter if its electric or mechanical. You are not using your fan to its potential unless you have a shroud. 

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

CMShrom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMShrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2012 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Metcalf Metcalf wrote:

Flat fenders tend to have a lot of cooling issues because the engine compartments are so tight. 

A great test for cooling capacity is to drive around with the hood off. If that gets rid of your cooling problems generally it means you have a problem getting the hot air off the radiator back OUT of the engine compartment. It doesn't matter if you have a super huge fan if you can't get the air out. You will see a lot of old school V8 flat fenders with louvered hood, minimal inner fenders, cowl vents, the rear of the hood raised, etc....

A fan needs a shroud, period. It doesn't matter if its electric or mechanical. You are not using your fan to its potential unless you have a shroud. 

Another good point, Looks like i'm going to be doing a little mods to help air flow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2012 at 8:50am
Brandon, how exactly does the fan mount?  In the photos you posted, I don't really see how it's mounted.  Does it just use the mounts that come with the fan (just drill a few holes through the shroud?)  I can probably figure out something, but just curious how you mounted it :)

Do you have it on 100% of the time, with the ignition?  Or do you have it on a temperature switch?

Out of curiosity, is there any reason NOT to ditch the mechanical fan and go for an electric fan?  Seems like having an electric fan might free up a bit of spinning weight from the engine, which is probably good?  

I went driving in the mountains today, and it was warmer out there than right by the coast.  I noticed the engine temperatures getting quite a bit hotter than normal while going up hill (about 2,000rpm in 2nd gear).  I think if I were to have this thing offroad in the desert going real slow, there would probably be some overheating situations.  Want to try and do something about it now, before I start taking it offroad a bit.

Think raising the back fo the hood 1/4" would do anything?  Or would it need to be something even higher than that to really move any heat out?

Edited by Daniel_Buck - 06 Aug. 2012 at 8:52am
2a #40500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandon219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2012 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Daniel_Buck Daniel_Buck wrote:

Brandon, how exactly does the fan mount?  In the photos you posted, I don't really see how it's mounted.  Does it just use the mounts that come with the fan (just drill a few holes through the shroud?)  I can probably figure out something, but just curious how you mounted it :)

Do you have it on 100% of the time, with the ignition?  Or do you have it on a temperature switch?

Out of curiosity, is there any reason NOT to ditch the mechanical fan and go for an electric fan?  Seems like having an electric fan might free up a bit of spinning weight from the engine, which is probably good?  

I went driving in the mountains today, and it was warmer out there than right by the coast.  I noticed the engine temperatures getting quite a bit hotter than normal while going up hill (about 2,000rpm in 2nd gear).  I think if I were to have this thing offroad in the desert going real slow, there would probably be some overheating situations.  Want to try and do something about it now, before I start taking it offroad a bit.

Think raising the back fo the hood 1/4" would do anything?  Or would it need to be something even higher than that to really move any heat out?

Hi Dan,

Yes the fan is mounted with hardware that comes with the fan, they look like zip ties, the head of it is circular,with a square foam pad and a retainer that goes on outer side of radiator that attaches it, just slide them in between the fins on radiator. I have it on an adjustable fan switch then i also have a designated switch on dash to override if I'm going into a water crossing i can shut the fan off, so water doesn't get sprayed everywhere. As far as removing the mechanical fan, rule of thumb with any other motor is that it frees up a few ponies, so why not these engines? Less rotating drag= a few h.p... I'm not gonna put my head on a chopping block and say how much is gained, but something! I've heard of people raising the hood,,,, but i don't think it looks right. What thermostat you running?? I also put in a bottle of lucas super coolant (buy at advanced auto, autozone, or similar type store) it helped lower like 5-6 degrees! Here are a few more pics i just took. I highlighted where the mounting straps go through the radiator, hope it helps!!

Obviously this is from looking through the grill from front.

Edited by brandon219 - 06 Aug. 2012 at 2:17pm
Brandon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2012 at 3:44pm
Right on, thanks for the photos and explanation :-)
2a #40500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>