Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electronic distributors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveyK01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electronic distributors
    Posted: 24 Sep. 2010 at 6:43am
After my fun time this morning with the guts of my distributor falling apart and having to fix it in the McDonalds drive-thrue line, it makes me think of those $125 electronic distributors.The must use a HEX-FET device to replace the mechanical points.  Are they much better?  I assume the timing is still set by rotating the distributor?

Are they reliable?  If the shaft is sitting in a possition that would have the "points" closed are they a dead short like a mechanical distributor?  If they fail, there's no fixing them along the side of the road.

Brokinluck tells me he just installed a vacuum-advanced distributor.  That's cool, didn't know they were even available for the L134.  I used to have on of those on a '72 Ford E150 van that caused me fits breaking the pin on the advance plate. Anywho, I digress....

Maybe the most useful device on the jeep are those MB handles to help push it - lol! LOL

Dave
Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2010 at 1:42pm
I have the electronic points in my 134 and they seem to work good. I had the bushings on the distributor going bad and the jeep was getting harder to start but by putting in the electronic points it starts better. With the bad bushings the timimg would change and also affect the point gap alittle. I have had no problems so far and have had them for a couple years.
dirtbuggy View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirtbuggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2010 at 2:59pm
good to know on the electronic points I was also thinking of installing them but being so old fashion that I am I haven't talked myself into it yet maybe now I will thanks
47 cj2a 48cj2a 04tj 99ford dually diesel and a rhino just added a 62 jeep pickup
DaveyK01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveyK01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2010 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Pat T. Pat T. wrote:

I have the electronic points in my 134 and they seem to work good. I had the bushings on the distributor going bad and the jeep was getting harder to start but by putting in the electronic points it starts better. With the bad bushings the timimg would change and also affect the point gap alittle. I have had no problems so far and have had them for a couple years.

Can you install them without changing the distributor?  Are they special for this distributor or a common upgrade to old distributors?  I would imagine a magnet on the shaft and a pickup screwed in to where the points for screw down.  What's the bucks $$$ for an upgrade?
Dave
Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2010 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by DaveyK01 DaveyK01 wrote:

Can you install them without changing the distributor?  Are they special for this distributor or a common upgrade to old distributors?  I would imagine a magnet on the shaft and a pickup screwed in to where the points for screw down.  What's the bucks $$$ for an upgrade?

Not sure what you mean, but you do change the dist. if you buy the complete dist. I've have 2 bad distribs that didn't work at all but Walck's took them back, the 3rd (different mfgr) works fine. Walck's said they changed mfgrs because of the problem. Just don't get a Crown.

I think they are as easy to set, or easier. You can set it with the engine static after you've found TDC for initial start to be set correctly later.

Edited by Ritt - 24 Sep. 2010 at 4:10pm
Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
jwitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2010 at 4:42pm
This guy, David Kirk, sells a small transistor switcher that worked very well on my Onan powered rail speeder.  What it does is remove the high current load from the points, and allows the rest of the ignition circuit to remain stock. The capacitor is disconnected since it's not needed, but can remain inplace if you want to switch the system back to original.

With the high current load removed from the points, there is no pitting of the point surfaces and they last nearly forever. The only remaining factor is wear on the rubbing block, generally very small if you keep a little grease on the cam.

I used this unit very successfully for a couple of years, with no adjustment of the points at all.  A side benefit is that there is an LED on the box that lights when the points open, so it can be used as a static timing light.  I intend to put one on my 48 as the restoration progresses.

Hope this is helpful.

John
Free men are not equal, equal men are not free -- Jerry Pournelle

48 CJ2A
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2010 at 5:03pm
I put a Pertronix in mine, uses the original distributor and replaces the points and condenser with an electronic module, not a true electronic ignition, but it does eliminate the points. Do a search on Pertronix and you'll find a bunch of threads about it. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2010 at 7:36pm
Mine are like bkreutz's I just took the points and condenser out and put the module in. I think the price was about $125 but it has been a while since I did it I don't remember for sure.
sireland67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2010 at 11:02pm
These guys sell the pentronics, you have to call them and talk to them on the phone, they are very old school.  But they know their stuff about willys jeeps.
They also sell a real nice bracket to put a 12v alternator on a 134.

1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ
Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2010 at 12:00am
Originally posted by sireland67 sireland67 wrote:

They also sell a real nice bracket to put a 12v alternator on a 134.

ditto, I also bought their bracket for a much cleaner look.
Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2010 at 3:01am
you don`t have to pull the distributorto put them in. i have them on 48 cj and they work greater.
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2010 at 3:43am
Pat T, did you not replace the bushings in your distributor? You can find the bronze bushings at TSC, they're about an 1/8 in longer than the originals which isn't a bad thing. I did have to drill the oil hole in one of them. I'm still running points in mine without a problem. Although I did luck into several sets of points from a farm supply Dad bought out. I think I still have a few sets, so I'm good for a few years more!
Rob H.

1948 CJ2A
bits and pieces of three 3A's
1967-72 Chevy C/10 kinda combined them LOL

Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2010 at 10:41am
No I didn't relpace the bushings I guess that was one of the reasons that I went with the other points. I am going to look at tsc and see if I can find the bushings. It would be a good thing to have on hand if they get worst. Thanks for the info.
Pat
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2010 at 3:36pm
I did not even know Willys Works was still in business. They do make a nice bracket for an alternator conversion.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
buckshot View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2010 at 7:01pm
Could one of you guys post a photo of the alternator bracket?

Thanks in advance
Brian in Tyler
'46 CJ-2A #14883
M416 Trailer
1938 Plymouth Pick-Up
2008 HEMI Rubicon Unlimited
2008 JK Unlimited
My Jeep photos at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113017572186775733159/ForumPhotos
sireland67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2010 at 11:25pm
I can post some pics, but I am out of town until this week-end.
I even have pics of the brackets before instalation and after.
PM me to remind me. 
1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2010 at 2:20pm
Try willysdistributors.com for parts and repair of your dizzy.
BOULDER 48 2A
Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2010 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by buckshot buckshot wrote:

Could one of you guys post a photo of the alternator bracket?

Thanks in advance

Rit

1948 2A,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>