Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Elmo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elmo
    Posted: 01 May 2018 at 1:24am
Everyone meet Elmo, our newest Jeep project! Elmo is a 1954 CJ3B that we plan on turning into my daily driver and capable trail rig.

I got Elmo last year on our way back from playing in Moab. When we went to Moab, Ward, Baja4 on the page, had to leave Moab a couple days before us. I was told we were going to pick up an engine on the way back. When we got to Ward’s we started looking at his collection of 4x4s. We opened up the garage door and there was Elmo. As you can see it’s in pretty rough shape. Long story short we got it home that fall when Ward came to my grandpa’s Jeeping event.

Elmo is going to get a brand new custom frame made out of 2x3 and 2x4 1/8” wall tubing. This and some fender trimming will allow us to stretch the wheelbase to about 85”. For the powertrain it will probably be running a 225 “odd fire” V6 that we will build custom fuel injection for. The “odd fire” will be backed by a T98 that was going to be put in a CJ2A my grandpa was building. Behind the T98 will be a Dana 20 we got from Jpet. The t-case has Teralow 3.15 gears and 26 spline output shafts. From that Dana 20 will be running custom driveshafts to ‘86 CJ7 Dana 44 rear and Dana 30 front axles. Those axles will be filled with ARB air lockers and 4.10 gears. Elmo will be running 33” tall tires so we are unsure on what leaf springs we will use. This setup should give me a 82:1 crawl ratio and allow me to go 60 mph at 2600 rpm. For the body we are trying to make it look as close to stock as possible with some military features. -Dylan

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 1:46am
Fuel injecting a 225 is a headache, I'd just do with a modded motorcraft 2100 and a wideband gauge. It takes 5 minutes to change jets, works great off road, really flat head screwdriver simple, really reliable. 

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

baja 4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baja 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 4:39am
Great to see you start a thread on Elmo, Dylan. Sounds like a very good combination, to build a really nice Jeep. You've definitely done your homework on parts. Will be looking forward to many updates as you, your dad, and grandpa build Elmo.

Elmo sat in my yard for a long time waiting for the right person to come along. Very glad he went to you.
It's going to be fun to see you bring him back to life.
Ward

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 10:04am
A true case of "Jeep Disease". Clap  I like what you guys do. Quality work that really works on the trail. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 12:14pm
It’s going to a lot of fun watching this build! Hopefully, we will get to wheel with you and “Elmo” soon!

When is Ellie going to start on her Jeep?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 1:11pm
This looks like it's going to be a super, all-in-one, rough rider and highway miler project.  I'm anxious to see pics of your custom frame.  I've always been interested in that idea.  If you want someone to take the problems out of setting up your engine with EFI, you should check out HamiltonFuelInjection.com.  He built the system I'm using and I'm very happy with mine so far. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 12:41am
John, I think you are right...we have "Jeep Disease". Two years ago at our first FCT we had 1 flattie and it seemed like everybody else there had several. Since then we have acquired 2 more so I am thinking you all were contagious!

My 4 oldest kiddos like Jeeps to some degree and the 5th probably will too but he is only 3 months old so we will have to wait and see. It is a good thing there is at least 3 years of age in between each of them to allow time for builds to take place one at a time.

Fuel injecting the odd-fire will be one of the more challenging obstacles, but we have a plan and with the help of others like what Mike mentioned I am confident it can be done and be reliable. That will be a while off and there is a lot of rust repair and body work to conquer first.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 7:09pm
congratulations Dylan on starting Elmo.  I’m anxious to see Elmo come to life.  Keep us updated on your progress.  Looking forward to the next time we can get together!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 3:41am
Over the past few weeks (yes, we did start on Elmo before the thread), we have started on the tub. First thing we had to do was fill all the holes on the cowl and sides. I think we counted over 200! That night we also found a big hole in the passenger rear corner filled with chicken wire and body putty. We patched that hole with some 18ga steel. We also had some rust at the bottom of the rear corner. We cut the rust out and my grandpa is going to make a piece and bend a lip to match it. We will keep you updated as we do more bodywork on Elmo. -Dylan

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 5:07am
Pretty exciting Dylan!  What are those two sets of 7 holes on each side of the dash?  Were those for built in speakers? And the two square holes? 
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 3:10am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Pretty exciting Dylan!  What are those two sets of 7 holes on each side of the dash?  Were those for built in speakers? And the two square holes? 

The two sets of 7 holes we are assuming were for speakers. The two square holes were for ashtrays. Judging from the modifications on the tub, this Jeep has had a very interesting past.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 4:21am
Did  the "speaker" holes count as part of the 200? 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Did  the "speaker" holes count as part of the 200? 

Nope. So far all the holes we have filled were on the outside of the tub. We still have lots of holes to fill in the floorboard along with those in the dash. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 5:31am
Bubba sure loves his drill...  Disapprove
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2018 at 2:27pm
Sorry for the delayed update, but we have gotten some work done in the past month. About 4 weeks ago we took the top bow holders off behind the front seats. It took us awhile to make them look clean, but we got it done. We didn’t have much time left after that, but we were able to patch a big hole in the firewall that we think might have been for swinging pedals. Then a couple of weeks ago, we got the lip bent and patched the spot were we cut the pieces out by the tailgate last month. That and about 15 holes in the rear fender wells and we were out of time for the night. Then, just a couple of nights ago my dad patched the speaker holes in the dash. While he was doing that, my grandpa and I got the rear fender marked and ready to cut out for a 33-35” tire. We will try to get some more done in a couple of weeks after BHR. -Dylan

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2018 at 2:51pm
Steady progress beats no progress Thumbs Up...  looking good!
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2018 at 5:39pm
Very cool project that's got three generations of family engaged! I like your powertrain and chassis strategy.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2018 at 11:36pm
We finally got something done on Elmo other than filling holes. We cut the rear fender openings to clear a 35” tire. Well, actually we cut them to a 34” diameter then we used pliers to to bend a 1/2” lip on the fenders. The radius from where the rear fender goes into the corner was a little tight making us have to cut it and weld it a couple of times. After that we straightened up the rear corners and filled more holes in the floorboard. Then, last weekend, we cut the drivers front fender mount off the tub and made a new piece to weld on. After that we filled even more holes in the firewall. Luckily, I don’t think there are much more than twenty holes left before we start on the floorboard and rock sliders. -Dylan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>