Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Elmo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

WOW - Those fenders are tremendous!  I bet you could sell them here.

Awesome work.

2x.

I've been considering building some aluminum fenders like those for my 3B.  Did you stay with the stock fender width with the 57" WMS/WMS?  That is the same axle widths I ended up with in my B but with stock width fenders and mud it gets a little messy.  Even with 2" extensions.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Delmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by duffer duffer wrote:

I've been considering building some aluminum fenders like those for my 3B.  Did you stay with the stock fender width with the 57" WMS/WMS?

Yes.
Delmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2020 at 5:58pm
We got the rest of Elmo’s roll cage tacked together. This included the bars that go from the A-pillar bars to the B-hoop, bars that run to the firewall, bars that follow along the edge of the door opening, the back bars and gussets, and a dash bar. Our next project is to make some seat and seat belt mounts. -Dylan

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2020 at 11:03pm
Verrrrry nice cage!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Hank_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hank_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2020 at 1:12pm
Great job on this build so far.  Love the curves in the cage.  Fantastic job.

Hank
Hank
Delmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 1:51am
We had some time to make Elmo’s seat brackets this weekend. They are designed to mount Corbeau Baja SS seats. The rear brackets are made put of 3/16” plate and have holes drilled to mount the seat and seat belts. We had to cut the back corners out of the removable transmission tunnel to clear the inside mounts. The front outside mounts are pieces of 1 1/2” D.O.M. tubing. They have 1/4” plates welded on the end of them that we tapped for 3/8” bolts. The front inside mounts are also made out of 3/16” plate. They bolt through the transmission tunnel with two 5/16” bolts. -Dylan

chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2020 at 10:35pm
Any updates?
Jay
Delmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2020 at 11:42pm
Elmo’s progress has been pretty slow lately, although we have had some time to work on it. The first thing we did was make a mount for the transmission cooler (Derale 33603) and fan (Speedmaster PCE185.1018). This mount is made out of 1/8” and 3/16” steel plate and is welded to the tube that runs from the passenger's side shock hoop to the firewall. My dad recently bought a TIG welder, so we decided to practice on this. It turned out looking really nice. We used 1/4” countersunk bolts to hold the fan on the bottom side. This allows a flat mounting surface for the transmission cooler on top.

The latest thing we have started working on is the fuel tank. It will mount under the rear floorboard and hold about 13 gallons. Jpet bent us a couple of pieces of 10ga steel that fit really nicely. We then cut 2 pieces of 1/8” to cap the ends of the tank. We are using a fuel pump and sending unit assembly out of a S10 pickup. We will have to modify it some to fit in the tank. To secure the sending unit assembly to the tank and avoid any fuel from leaking, we cut a 5”x 5” piece of 1/4” plate and machined an O-ring groove in it. We then drilled six 1/4” holes outside of the groove and bored out the center to 2 3/4". This plate will weld into the top of the tank. Next we made a ring out of the same 1/4” plate and drilled six 1/4” holes in it. This will bolt down into the 5”x 5” plate, sandwiching the O-ring and outside edge of the sending unit assembly, and sealing it off tight. We will post another update on the fuel tank once we get more done. -Dylan

Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2020 at 12:13am
With your seats mounted that high, will a non custom made jeep top fit?  Or not planning on using a top  Is the cage height also raised also?
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
Delmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2020 at 3:06am
Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

With your seats mounted that high, will a non custom made jeep top fit?  Or not planning on using a top  Is the cage height also raised also?

We made the cage to where a stock soft top will fit over it.
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2020 at 3:52pm
Thanks, the reason for asking is that I used Corbeau JP seats that are about the same height, but with a horizontal mount. I moved my wheel well back about 3 inches and mounted them to the rear floor. I don't have anywhere near the headroom that you appear to have with your mounts.  Just curious
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
Delmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2021 at 4:04pm
We were able to finish Elmo’s fuel tank over the holidays. The first thing we did was weld six 1/4” studs through our 5”x5” plate. Then we recessed it, along with a 2” wide channel for the fuel lines, 1 1/4” into the top of the tank. After that we welded the 2 sides onto the bottom of the tank. We also welded 2 baffles in. Next we tacked the top piece on and turned our attention to making a crossmember for the lip on the front of the tank to bolt to. We used 1 1/2” square tubing and sleeved it for four 3/8” bolts. We had to notch a section out to make room for the fuel lines. The lip on the back for the tank bolts though the rear bumper using two 3/8” ID sleeves and two 3/8” bolts that tap into the bumper. Once we got the fuel tank bolted in there, we made an access panel for the fuel pump. To do this we used a cut off wheel to cut a 9” square out of the rear floorboard. We then welded a 1 1/4”x 1/8”rim around the perimeter of the hole. We tapped 8 holes for 1/4” bolts and bolted the piece we cut out back on. Next we welded two 1” round tubes on the fuel tank for the filler and vent lines to hook to rubber hoses will connect these to a fuel neck that a friend gave us off of a CJ7, along with a cap and bezel. We took the tank out and finished welding everything up. We also put two drain holes that use 1/4” pipe fitting plugs on the passenger side. We pressure tested it with nitrogen and, after fixing a few leaks, bolted it back up. We also modified our S10 sending unit assembly in order to fit it in the tank. -Dylan

duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2021 at 4:35pm
Nice work!  Your tank is quite similar to the one I built for my B a dozen years back.  I welded it up out of 14 gauge and used the skid plate to mount it the same way yours is.

1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
48farmjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48farmjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2021 at 5:58pm
What kind of tubing bender is that? I may have missed it in the thread, and if so, apologies. 
Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2021 at 1:11am
Originally posted by 48farmjeep 48farmjeep wrote:

What kind of tubing bender is that?

Mittler Bros. 90 degree hydraulic bender. 
Delmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2021 at 7:24pm
In addition to the gas tank, we have finished a few smaller projects on Elmo over the past couple weeks. One thing we did was get a CV boot to seal off the steering shaft at the firewall. The bigger end slides over a 2 3/4” round tube that we welded to the firewall. We also tacked our receiver hitch into the rear bumper. The latest thing we did was fix the tailgate using one of “Mike in Oregon’s” repair sections that I got for Christmas from my grandparents. Once we got it TIG welded and ground down, we discovered another 20 holes in the tailgate that were plugged with body putty. We filled them with weld and now have a much better looking tailgate. Our next project is the exhaust. -Dylan

Cj3bmutt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cj3bmutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2021 at 11:29pm
Very nice work.  Can’t wait to see it on the trails.
Delmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2021 at 2:21am
 We’ve got quite a bit done on Elmo the past couple weeks, including the exhaust. I will start with some of the smaller projects first. For Christmas, my mom and dad gave me an electric fan made for a Ford Crown Victoria. While test fitting it, we realized it was a little to close to the water pump. So we ended up trimming some of the shroud off of the grill and moved the radiator forward 1/4”. Then we made some 1/8” tabs with spacers on them to mount the bottom of the fan. The next project was to make some braces out of 1 1/2”x 1/8” wall D.O.M. round tubing to tie the skid plate into frame better. One end of the tube is notched and welded to the skid plate while the other end welds to a 1/4” plate. This 1/4” plate bolts through the sleeved frame with two 7/16” bolts. We also put a removable 1/4” spacer between this plate and the frame to make the skid plate easier to remove. While checking for clearance between this brace and the driveshaft, we saw that the front U-Joint was going to hit the front skid plate crossmember. To solve this problem, we built a pinion bump stop mount out of 1 1/2” round tube. There are aluminum caps on both ends and a 3/8” all thread rod coupling inside. The polyethylene bump stop threads into the bottom of the coupling while a bolt threads into the top, sandwiching it all together.

With all that done, we could start on the exhaust. We machined some pieces to fit up tight against the manifolds and ran 2” aluminized pipe all the way back to the Flowmaster muffler. The muffler has a 2 1/2” inlet and outlet so we had had to machine a bushing to bring the inlet down to 2” and another one to adapt the outlet to the 2 1/4” tailpipe, which is also aluminized. After taking it out and TIG welding the joints, we put it back in place. Then we made some isolated mounts using some rubber bushings we had. Our next project is build a twin stick linkage for the Dana 20. -Dylan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>