Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Emerald Green paint color?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfsburg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emerald Green paint color?
    Posted: 10 Oct. 2010 at 7:09am
Not totally sure this is the right forum to ask this in, but I will anyway.

Does anyone have any good pics of Emerald Green CJ2As? If I don't keep my Jeep Luzon Red, I'm leaning toward eventually painting it a dark green, perhaps Emerald Green since it's an original Jeep color. Problem is, I haven't really seen any good pics of Emerald Green Jeeps. The paint chips I see online seem to show it being an extremely dark, almost black, green. Being a fan of dark greens, I figured it was worth investigating.
Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2010 at 1:30pm
I've heard this green called a few different names but it's what my grandson wanted. He was 4 at the time and really liked helping me with the project. Smile

Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2010 at 3:31pm
I like it Rit Thumbs Up......not Emerald Green but then again, it's not supposed to be. Good clean looking jeep.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Wolfsburg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfsburg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2010 at 9:58pm
Looks great, Rit! Really catches the eye!
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2010 at 1:41am
I think emerald Green was a 1949 color although I have seen it referred to as a 1948 color.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Wolfsburg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfsburg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2010 at 7:36am
Yeah, that's what I've been reading as well.
Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2010 at 10:46am
I've got a 3A cowl out behind the barn that was originally Emerald green, I'll try to get out there later this morning if time permits and take a pic if nobody else post one sooner. It's a  51 model but I think the color is the same, it is very dark, little darker than hunter green Krylon if I'm not mistaken.
Rob H.

1948 CJ2A
bits and pieces of three 3A's
1967-72 Chevy C/10 kinda combined them LOL

JeeperJim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeeperJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2010 at 1:40pm
Was the Willys logo originally presented in a different color than the body color when they were new?
Even if it was not that black looks good against the green.

I assume that the tailgate logo was also done in black?
Wink
jeeperjim
JeeperJim
cj2ajim@gmail.com
Wolfsburg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfsburg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2010 at 2:35am
Originally posted by JeeperJim JeeperJim wrote:

Was the Willys logo originally presented in a different color than the body color when they were new?
Even if it was not that black looks good against the green.

I assume that the tailgate logo was also done in black?
Wink
jeeperjim

There's no great rush. It will be a while before I make any real paint decisions. I was just hoping to see some Emerald Green examples "in the wild".Wink
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2010 at 4:38am
The contrasting logos were done in the complementing colors, IE if the jeep was Black, the lettering was in Red (I believe the same colors as the contrasting wheels). As to what was highlighted and when, somewhere there is a breakdown of when various "accents" were painted. I believe the tailgate was always highlighted, the sides of the hood started mid year 47, and the lettering under the windshield was never highlighted from the factory (then there's the 4 wheel drive stencil on the tailgate, but that's another discussionLOL) So if you look at the "Wheel color combination" link on the home page, it should give you an idea about what color the "Willys" should be. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
JeeperJim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeeperJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2010 at 1:46pm
Thanks for that clarification Gale.
And by the way, fantastic documentation on your restoration.  The folders of pictures are
a really big help for us guys & gals still behind the power curve.
I would like to say "you're hired" as if I were closer I would hire you do help repair my body tub.
It came out looking brand new.
Regards,
Jim aka, jeeperjim
JeeperJim
cj2ajim@gmail.com
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2010 at 3:15pm
I have a Sherwin Williams Emerald Green paint chip which seems to be in good condition.  I will be glad to lend it to you.  It is posted in the Parts/paint section under Universal Beige but the internet rendition is far from true.  It does look close to several readily available rattle can greens.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Old Bull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2010 at 8:14pm

I don't think this is Emerald green...may be close...I can dig up the info if required.  

Edited by Old Bull - 13 Oct. 2010 at 8:16pm
westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2010 at 9:24pm

Hello

Mule CJ2A 219719 is kinda/was definately Emerald Green. Here is a photo of the best surviving area that shows the true color. The underside of the tool box lid.  Because of the vagarities involved in digital transfer of true color who knows what you are seeing. I doubt you will find a better example of the original Emerald Green color though. I really like this dark green also and perhaps someday will try to reproduce it if mule ever gets her tub redone.

WFB

'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
Fred Ashbrook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Ashbrook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2010 at 10:23pm
Look at Art C.'s website http://48cj2a.com/ for some good photos of his original Emerald Green '48 CJ-2A.
Fred A
48 Lefty
Virginia

48 Lefty
Wolfsburg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfsburg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2010 at 4:19am
Originally posted by ralf ralf wrote:

I have a Sherwin Williams Emerald Green paint chip which seems to be in good condition.  I will be glad to lend it to you.  It is posted in the Parts/paint section under Universal Beige but the internet rendition is far from true.  It does look close to several readily available rattle can greens.

I appreciate the kind offer! As I said, I'm still far away from painting at this point, but we'll see where I'm at closer to time.

Thanks for the pics guys!

Edited by Wolfsburg - 15 Oct. 2010 at 4:20am
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2017 at 4:53am
Has anybody ever come up with an example of the original color for emerald green? And correct wheel color? I'm thinking of going with universal beige with black stripe.
Dave
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2017 at 3:18pm
BOULDER 48 2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>