Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Emergency brake adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emergency brake adjustment
    Posted: 31 July 2019 at 2:08am
I pull the brake hand out as far as I can. Crawled under and there is no slack anywhere in cable, linkage, and lever but when pushed, the Jeep rolls with no resistance. I haven’t pulled the drum yet. What should I be doing or looking for to make the emergency brake function properly?
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2019 at 3:03am
Gerry,
Do your internals look like ralf's, posted here?

The Service Manual, Section P, covers the steps. 
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2019 at 3:58am
Adjust your brake shoes!
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
gerrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2019 at 8:22pm
shoes are adjust all the way out then backed off a bit so not rubbing the drum. 
gerrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2019 at 8:24pm
Could it be the lever?  It has quite a bit of movement before moving the shoe. Can this be adjusted?  I checked the manual but it is not clear to me check/adjust the lever. 
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2019 at 8:53pm
The cable system has some anchor points.  If the cable isn't held in place by these anchors, it will seem to be too long to engage the brake.  One anchor is on the firewall, right after the cable comes through the firewall.  The other anchor is on the passenger side of the transmission mount/center support.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
gerrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2019 at 9:18pm
Can I adjust the e-brake cable length?
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2019 at 9:51pm
Adjust the shoes through the holes in the drum. The adjuster is on the left side.

BOULDER 48 2A
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2019 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by gerrym gerrym wrote:

Can I adjust the e-brake cable length?

I may have had about the same problem with my e-brake. The shoes were good but when I pulled the cane to set the brake it would not quite engage. It seemed like i just needed a couple more notches on the cane. If I removed the return spring and moved the actuating lever by hand the brake held good. I built a short bracket and bolted it to the actuating lever that would let me adjust the length of stroke. Maybe you can see by the photos. So far it has worked great.   
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
gerrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2019 at 3:30pm
I have a lot of free movement in the operating lever before it moves the brake shoe. If I tighten the nut on the long bolt shown in the photo will that take the slack out of my lever?  It looks like that may be the lever adjusting nut referred to in the manual. The manual text and photo are not that detailed to me. Can that adjustment be made without pulling the drum?
gerrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2019 at 3:31pm
I’m referring to nut and long bolt in Ralfs photo from earlier reply. 
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2019 at 4:03pm

If I tighten the nut on the long bolt shown in the photo will that take the slack out of my lever? 

Short answer is...no.  

Did you make sure the cable is properly anchored at the firewall and the transmission mount?  If not, nothing else you do will matter.

This is the anchor bracket mounted on the firewall...

This is the anchor bracket mounted below the transmission...

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2019 at 4:23pm

That isn't a typical place to adjust. 

It is known that several cables exist and are different lengths (along with 2 types of cane handles).  You should compare cane attachment and your cable length to others that have original cables to see if yours is correct for your model.

On my cable, I have a yolk at the end of the cable that attaches to the arm (you can see that in athawk's 2nd image).  That yolk is threaded and adjustable. 

If your cable has this yolk, and it's all the way to the stop and you still have slack, your cable may be too long.

Edited by Rus Curtis - 01 Aug. 2019 at 4:25pm
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2019 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Rus Curtis Rus Curtis wrote:

On my cable, I have a yolk at the end of the cable that attaches to the arm.  That yolk is threaded and adjustable. 

It's also called a clevis.  Shown in the 3rd photo in Rocketeer's post in this thread...

This is about the only thing you can use to adjust the cable length, but again, it won't matter if the cable isn't anchored.

Edited by athawk11 - 01 Aug. 2019 at 5:11pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2019 at 5:03pm

I have a lot of free movement in the operating lever before it moves the brake shoe. If I tighten the nut on the long bolt shown in the photo will that take the slack out of my lever?  It looks like that may be the lever adjusting nut referred to in the manual. The manual text and photo are not that detailed to me. Can that adjustment be made without pulling the drum?
[QUOTE=gerrym]
I had exactly the same problem on mine. There was free movement in the handle before it would start to engage the brake. The end on the cable would pull up against the housing before the brake was fully set. As per the photo, I started with a 2" long piece of 1" wide flatbar and drilled 4 holes in it. I then drilled 2 holes to attach a 3/8" cable clamp to the flatbar. The cable clamp attached to the brake cable just behind the eye. I then moved the actuating lever to take up the free movement and bolted it to the flatbar in the correct hole.
This will allow the adjustment in cable length that you are looking for. As long as your cable is properly connected at the anchor points you won't need to pull the drum or mess with the cane or cable. Before I did this I spent a lot of time trying to adjust the brake.          
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
gerrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2019 at 5:20pm
I might have to try this setup. Do you recall the hole spacing on the flat bar?  Yes the cable is anchored properly at the firewall and transmission ends as shown in photos and yes I do have the yoke fork and clevis as shown in the photos with brake cable adjusted all the way to stop. Thanks all for the photos they really help. So maybe my cable is too long. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2019 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

Adjust the shoes through the holes in the drum. The adjuster is on the left side.

Before you do anything else you need to be sure the brake is adjusted as Terry said. The easiest way i have found to do this is to jack up a rear wheel and disconnect the brake cable and return spring. Then you can move the actuating lever by hand, make your adjustment and roll the tire to see if the brake is holding. Saves a lot of climbing in crawling under and yanking on the cane.    
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2019 at 5:30pm

I might have to try this setup. Do you recall the hole spacing on the flat bar?  Yes the cable is anchored properly at the firewall and transmission ends as shown in photos and yes I do have the yoke fork and clevis as shown in the photos with brake cable adjusted all the way to stop. Thanks all for the photos they really help. So maybe my cable is too long. 

I drilled 5/16" holes (for 1/4-20 bolt) 1/4" apart edge to edge. you will also have some adjustment where to cable is clamped to the flatbar if needed. As you can see the return spring is attached in the cable eye. Be sure the cane is all the way down before making the connection below.     
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>