Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Emergency brake adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2019 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

It's also called a clevis...

That's the word I was looking for!  Thank you!
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
gerrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2019 at 2:58am
Thanks to all who replied. I learned a lot about the e-brake. I have found the source of my problem and cured it. I have proper anchors and shoe adjustment. What I didn't have was enough travel in the operating lever. I disconnected the return spring at the clevis pin and from the underside manually moved the lever as far as it would go toward the front. I could see the shoes move out to the drum and with one rear wheel on jack I could not move the wheel (e brake was holding as it should). The source of my problem was the return spring. It was too short and too tight to allow full movement of the lever and therefore would not engage the brake. My solution was a long (16.5") medium tension spring connected to the clevis as it should and a L-shaped bracket that I bolted to a body support with a 2" threaded eye bolt that gives me up to 2" of length and tension adjustment if needed.
First pic - adjustable eye bolt spring attachment. Second pic (not so clear) - clevis pin spring attachment.  

gerrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2019 at 3:00am
Hmmm I didn't do so good at posting pics. 
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2019 at 4:10pm
Glad to see you got it sorted out! Sometimes the simplest solution is the least obvious.
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
Thad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2023 at 6:05pm
My problem is a little different. The top shoe does not seem to move when I turn the adjusting screw either way. The bottom one is adjusting and moving and when I move the lever at the brake it goes up against the drum. The top shoe does nothing. Any ideas before I tear it apart?
Life is short. Buy a jeep
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12