Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Transfer Case
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Emergency Brake Drum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emergency Brake Drum
    Posted: 10 Dec. 2006 at 12:08pm
                   GROUP 24-01 --- HAND BRAKE, EMERGENCY BRAKE
I have two different brake drums
Drums 
The first is from Jeep #10021. It has an extra rib on the outside of the drum.
From the '45 parts list.
DRUM, emergency brake   PART No.  A-9332

The next is from all the others I have, and have seen.
The part # is the same in the '49 parts list. They do list a different # for the whole assembly. (from the '49 parts list)
Brake, Emergency, Assembly      Part #  A-9333 
Brake, Emergency, Assembly      PART #  642776 ( Same as A-6333 except painted black)

Here they are side by side.

The early one has some cast #'s on it,  3-31  then NO-2  and  CH (?)
The later one has E,6  then F&H  and K-H These are on the face inbetween the inspection holes.

It would be interested in finding out when they changed to the more common drum. Does anyone else have an early drum or any other stlyle? and what Jeep did it come on????

CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2007 at 2:11pm
hey Gary, I have a early one with cast# 2-23  NO-2  HN
Too many jeeps.....GOT JEEP ?
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2007 at 6:47pm
Gary:

Another case of Willys changing the part, but keeping the same part number, and not documenting the change.  I've been wondering the same for some time, but haven't figured it out.  I think we'd need to collect VIN number data to determine when it occurred.

Now there's another point I've been tracking, and was going to document sooner or later, but as you've brought it up:

The A-9332 4-rib drum was carryover from MB production.  If the 642776 assembly is the same as A-9333 assembly, except PAINTED BLACK, guess what color the early 4-rib drum should be?  (No Cat, NOT pink!)

That 2 parts now that should be OD!  And I think there are more yet.

Sean

#16279 & 16489 have 4-rib drums.
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2007 at 10:10pm
Tony,
What Jeep did your come off?
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2007 at 10:46pm
Gary,  It came off of #14522
Too many jeeps.....GOT JEEP ?
jeepers-creepers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepers-creepers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2007 at 8:38am
i have a 48 cj2a that has a slanted tooth gear welded or brazed on the rear of the e-brake drum.  it is the same diameter as the drum.  it may go with the brass colored housing that fits around the spicer p.t.o housing that is mounted on to the transfer.
fritz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2007 at 3:25pm

let me help stir this up a little.  i have 2 transmissions/tcases.  one is stamped 10-30-45 and it has the ebrake drum with one less rib.  i have another that came from my jeep, 15724 that has the extra rib (mb) style.  its cast date is 10-25-45.  now the transmission/tcase/ebrake that has one less rib came from a donor jeep from milwaukee.  it was a column shift, i think the number was a few hundred higher than mine but dont remember.  if hybicki is watching, maybe he will remember the serial number from it.

eric
 Post Reply Post Reply