Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Enclosed Trailer Build, toy hauler, camper, etc.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enclosed Trailer Build, toy hauler, camper, etc.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2017 at 2:33pm
Next question is - will they let you back in the 'hood at the FCT if you're living in such luxury?

Donnalee is a lucky gal!
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2017 at 8:08pm
Bruce, I'll have to check out your trailer some time. I want to put in some fold down bunks like you mentioned, but I'm going to have to lay out the inside floor plan and see what I can make work.   I only have about 75" of inside width to work with, besides Donalee and I will have the full size bed in the back

Mike, I do like the plywood better and I do want to use it, but limited funds might dictate the osb until sometime in the future. The front V space is where I'm planning the shower/latrine (actually, the Lug-a-loo for now). It is naturally lower than the rest of the trailer floor and I'm thinking of fabricating a custom shaped fiberglass floor for it. I need this space uncluttered so that I can walk around the front of the jeep and get it strapped down to the d-rings, so cabinets, etc. probably aren't practical here.

I have solar panels in the plan as well. That's also justification for maintaining a flat roof (or so I'm telling myself). I'm not up to speed on what I need in that department yet, but I'll be researching that soon. I'll wire it with inverter(s), etc. so I'll be flexible wherever I go. I think I will recess the batteries somewhere below the floor to keep them out of the way, with an inside access panel.

I will be putting in two 30"x 22" sliding, screened windows, one on each side. I would have already framed in for them, but I'm not exactly sure where I want them located yet. I wanted to work on my inside layout a little more before I install them. I think I want one where we can sit at a table, eat, look out and watch the deer playing, or bears romping, or whatever. Another big reason for the windows is to help facilitate air flow through the trailer. I'm hoping with two roof vents and two large windows and good insulation, that it will be somewhat comfortable inside. I DO NOT want an air conditioner as everyone that sees me building this thing has asked. This trailer is for utility with a little bit of creature comfort (mainly for Donalee) and not for a home away from home. I desire to get away and not bring it with me.

Kate, I don't know where they will let me squat this thing, but as long as Donalee is comfortable, I'm a happy man
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2017 at 8:46pm
Rick,  Will you have a door on the left side that will let you get in & out of the drivers seat?  Climbing over the Jeep after putting it in or to get it out would not appeal to me.  Would one of the air beds work?  Just a thought.  Your project is inspiring.  Keep the pictures coming.
Tom
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2017 at 11:11pm
Tom, no plans for a door on the drivers side, at least not now. There is almost a foot on either side of the jeep once I pull it in. I'm still a couple of years away from the half century mark, so I think (?) I'm still spry enough to hop around and squeeze by to the front of the jeep without too many issues. If I build one from scratch it will be a little wider for that very reason.

We sleep on the air mattresses when we camp now, so they might get used until we find the right mattress for this setup.

Its about a hundred degrees today. So no work on the trailer today, but I did get a few things done in the last couple of days. I've started constructing the fold-down ramp back door. I'm using 2x2x 3/16" angle and some that is 1/4" thick. I'm hoping that with the 3/4" osb flooring this will be sufficient to load the jeep without any sag. We'll see soon enough. I don't like the garage door type spring assists so I'm using large hinge springs instead and making my own hinges. I'll show those in some future posts. These springs will allow unencumbered ramp access without having the side assist cables in the way. Here's a few pics of the ramp door construction. Don't tell the Colonel, but there might be a few pieces of some old WWII army bed frame steel used in the construction of the ramp door. I might have run out of angle iron, and might have had some grey US steel laying around from another project.

Remodels and modifications to existing projects, either home, jeeps, or trailers are always more difficult than building from scratch. This project is no different. I would be much further along than I am had I built this from the ground up. Case in point, I wanted to build the trailer wider than I did, but I would have had to completely deconstruct the entire side frame rails, which was essentially having to start all over with the build, so I didn't. I ended up using the existing side rails and constructing/framing the walls from there. So what this does is create a gap at the bottom of the wall, which will let critters in and insulation out. Here's a pic of before the fix and after.

Here's a shot looking down into the wall space with the critter/insulation trap in place and a simulated outside wall.

More to come.

My Videos
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 3:34am
Rick, I used some old camper foam mattresses on my bed, and noticed at FCT last year that the foam is "going away". There's a hole where I spend most of my sleepy-time. I ordered an air mattress, but accidentally ordered a queen size instead of the full size I need. Now I have an extra, I'd make you a heckuva deal on.  Wink   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 1:08pm
Another mattress option would be to go on ebay and get whatever thickness and size foam block you wanted for a mattress, and get a mattress cover to fit it.  Nancy and I did that.  We use army cots for our bed frame.  We put a cot pad on each cot, with the cots side by side, then put a double bed foam pad over both cots.  Each pad is 4 inches thick.  Makes a nice soft bed.  Cover with sheets and blankets and your ready for a good night's sleep.  You could do the same on the bedframe of your own design.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 4:20pm
I'll keep your air mattress in mind Bruce when I get closer to outfitting the interior. Right now it's back to work on the hinge and spring design.

My Videos
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2017 at 1:31pm
Nice build Rick, I admire your welding skills. What is the load rating of your axles? If you plan to have holding tanks for water and waste water is heavy. When mine is loaded with water, food, fuel, and the 3B it is heavy. It has two 5000lb axles and 10 ply 16" tires. Both axles have brakes.
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2017 at 2:58pm
Hey Rick, nice build. Not to change the topic ,but I have a question about your Jeep.  Do you have a build thread on your Jeep?
Thanks, Mark
Mark
1946 CJ2A
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2017 at 5:00pm
Thx, Grumpy. My axles are Rockwell 3500 lb. no brakes yet, but I plan to install a set. I'm not installing any tanks (fresh or greywater, either one) at this point, but after a few shakedown trips I might change my mind. I want to keep things minimal if possible, not carrying too much stuff. I'd have to buy a new pickup if I get carried away loading this trailer up and that isn't in the budget at this time.

Sparky, I don't have a build thread yet. I've been meaning to post one up, but I seem to always have a project that pops up instead. After this trailer build, I'll see if I can't get one started.

My Videos
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 1:04pm
Rick, seeing your flavor of haul rig, I see a used decent Duramax in your future! LOL. You need a haul rig heavier than your towed unit. Lots of torque for the Rockies. I have driven big block Chevy 1 tons, and they do OK, but once you drive a diesel, you get hooked. I just can't believe what I see on the road nowadays. 4 axle fifth wheels with a house sized "camper". Crazy. They will have to have the power lines and bridges lifted for them next. They pass me in my rig while I'm putting at 65 mph. Lots of work building your custom Jeep hauler. You are doing a nice job. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 2:46pm
Thx, John. I know diesels are the way to go for haulin heavy stuff, but I just don't like 'em. They are noisy, stinky, black everywhere, etc. I'm going to keep the haul weight down and just muster thru with the gas engine. I make less than a dozen trips per year with this rig so a big haul vehicle (even a used one) just wouldn't be justifiable.   Yeah, I've seen the size of 5th wheel campers grow and grow over the years to full size houses. Is that really "getting away"? How do you "camp" in one of those!?!?!

Hope to have some update pics posted later today.
Rick

My Videos
Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 7:41pm
I say leave it like it is. It will give your Jeep a captured wild animal look...Cool
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 7:57pm
   I should've done that when I had the zebra Jeep!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by Doug Timme Doug Timme wrote:

I say leave it like it is. It will give your Jeep a captured wild animal look...Cool

That's funny.😁   Kinda like that idea. But, it's too late, already put the sides up.

My Videos
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 3:09am
So here's some shots of the aluminum panels. I had originally designed the first sheet to wrap around the back corner for a seamless corner, but that didn't work out as planned. I took two panels to the sheet metal guy to bend 90s in each of them. He bent the first 90 and as I was loading it up in the truck, I noticed that it was actually broke. Apparently, this aluminum is pretty high grade tensile strength and needs a little bit of radius to it. I didn't know that at the time, so I didn't have him bend anything else. So now, all my corners will just have to be trimmed out.

Turns out that this siding cuts very easy with a jig saw, sawzall, or circular saw. Thank goodness! I attached the siding with Phillips pan head 3/4" #10 sds. Seems very solid with no waves to speak of. This thicker siding (0.050") really is good stuff if you can get it.

My Videos
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 5:45am
All that white, you are going to need shades.Cool  Looking good.  Getting ahead on the project,  what type of insulation and inside paneling do you plan?  Good pictures,  keep them coming.  
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 4:28am
Yeah Tom, that white IS bright. I got a sunburn on my face when I was cutting and installing it in these 100 deg days because it's so reflective! Interesting note, however, the solar reflectivity coefficient of this polar white is around 76 while the red of the fenders is about 48. This is empirically borne out when you touch each of these colors. Today when it was 104 deg. the fenders were impossible to touch for more than a second or two; the white panels were almost cool to the touch. I'm hoping this will aid in keeping the inside "naturally" cooler.

I will probably use a combination of batt insulation and expanded polystyrene foam board, based upon location, e.g. walls vs ceiling. I'll cover that more in future posts. I will probably use 1/4" osb for the ceiling and walls, although I want to use A grade (knotless) plywood. Funds will dictate that more than anything.

My Videos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>