Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enclosed trailers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enclosed trailers
    Posted: 17 Oct. 2013 at 12:38am
   Hello, I've been kicking around the Idea of an enclosed trailer, I have a 20' open trailer now, seldom haul two at a time and to much trailer for one. Enclosed would offer some security, protection and possibly a place to sleep on occasion. Not looking for much more than 12'-14' in length, yes it would be nice to have a 20' but do not want to drag more trailer around than I need. I have looked at and have seen several "Low Hauler" motorcycle trailershttp://www.haulmark.com/low-hauler_motorcycle-trailer/
I like the compact size and the fact I could put it in my garage if needed, they carry a 7000lbs rating,,,,and come up used on Craigslist often, reasonably priced, Not in any hurry time is in my favor for a good deal. Opinions please .

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2013 at 1:58am
My enclosed trailer is a 12 foot box, but also a V-nose that is very useful for getting in to tie down the front axles and to stow a few extra things.  If you go for a 14 foot box, the V-nose is less important, I would say.  The low hauler will not let you keep a top of any kind on the Jeep when you tow it which is one reason I have a much taller trailer.   I did look at the Haulmark line before I decided that I wanted an aluminum trailer and think that they are high quality trailers.  The last idea I have is to look for a passage door on the driver side rather than the curb side for ease of getting in and getting out.

Let us know the choice that you eventually make!
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2013 at 3:05am
Sam, thanks for the input, I would lean towards the 14', Haulmark is a hi quality trailer but most manufacturers make the "Low' trailers. The height is of concern and would be a pain to have to remove the top all the time, not that I always run one. Time will tell as I am in no hurry, Thanks again.

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2013 at 4:19am
  Mine is a 14' X 7' with the front 20" or so filled with cabinets and a double sink, three-burner gas range with oven, and an ice-box. A 6'4" X 4' bed with six inches of padding folds up against the left side near the back door. The door is just wide enough to get the 2A in, centered, with the spare tire in place. The front bumper of the jeep rides about a foot from the cabinets, the front tie-down point is right next to the cabinet, the ag hitch is inches from the back door and the rear tie-downs are almost against the door. I don't think you could really get by very well with anything smaller. It would be really difficult to hook the front tie-down(s) or to have a good angle on the tie-downs, in a 12-foot flat-nose. I'm using axle-wrap tie-downs. You'll need one at least 7' wide to get enough rear door opening to get in with the spare on, unless you load off-center.
 Since I'm using this as a camper, I needed one tall enough for me (6'0") to stand upright in. Most that I looked at weren't. This one has enough height that I was able to put in 1"X2" "ceiling joists" and a ceiling with 2" of Styrofoam insulation above. It's not done yet, it needs more storage space and some finish carpentry, but everyone who saw it at the Fall Colors Tour seemed to like it. That was its maiden voyage. I need to take some pic's of it anyway, and if anyone here would like to see it, I'll post some here.
  Yep, take your time, do some research, decide what you want.     BW

Edited by Bruce W - 17 Oct. 2013 at 4:21am
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2013 at 2:31pm
I have a 16" that I use for my jeep. I have a bed set up in the front. The space also doubles as space for my straps, tool box, spare tire and for extra storage for parts. The 7' width you will appreciate for moving around the trailer with the jeep inside. The height should be of concern for you. You will find the convenience of being able to stand in your trailer and drive the Jeep in and out without top removal and windshield fold down a plus. I understand that fuel mileage would suffer with a taller trailer. I also found that in a stiff wind my little 1/2 ton 1500 Chevy's transmission took a beating. I have "0" issues with my 2500 Diesel. Your call.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2013 at 12:25am
Again thanks for all input. I am in NOOOOOO hurry but would like to have one before FCT 2014, I think the low trailer is out, as I am 6' and want to stand up in it and will look for 14'. I do not have a Chevy so the trans should be fine Just kidding My truck is a 1/2 ton but is set up with a TT package and 3.92 gears and pulls very well. Thanks again.

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2013 at 2:00am
As promised:

I was a little off on one guess,Embarrassed the front bumper is 15 1/2" from the oven door. I have 12 1/2' from the cabinets to the rear door. You can see the bed folded up on the left side and the clearance on both sides. The window (I have three more to put in), the bed platform and cushions, and the kitchen stuff all came from old campers that I have scrapped. I went with the swing-open doors rather than the ramp for several reasons. I like the idea of being able to leave one door open in warm weather. I plan to put a window in one of the doors, and in a ramp, it would've gotten stepped in or run over, for sure. And, the trailer was about $350 cheaper with the swing doors. I just use ramps like any open trailer. I pull it with a '70 Chevy pickup with a 350 and a car 4-speed, 3.73 gears. It did real well on the pull to Buena Vista this year. A noticeable difference from the pop-up camper and flatbed trailer of the past.
  So there she is, I've got a little work to do yet, but I'm kinda proud of it. Could ya tell?Embarrassed      BW

Edited by Bruce W - 20 Oct. 2013 at 2:06am
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2013 at 2:34am
I bought a dirt cheap 18" enclosed trailer from a friend.  But, it has barn doors rather than a ramp.  Better than no trailer at all but all the trouble to rig up ramps detracts from its usefulness.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2013 at 3:54am
Bruce, very nice trailer and well thought out, I do not intend to camp a lot in one, maybe a night here and there, but you have some very nice features in yours, if I were to use it more as a camper I would have A/C, LOL, I would like the ramp door in back, Years back I was heavily involved in Snowmobile raceing and we had several trailers, some with doors and some with ramp doors, each have their advantage. Again thanks for everyones input.

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
birddog7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birddog7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2013 at 3:36am
Okay Folks did not Doug Timmue ( St Louis) have a post with his trailer with the bantam in it on this thread? I went back to look for it and it was gone. Am I seeing things.
Birddog
1945 CJ2A
1956 CJ3B
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1946 Bantam Trailer
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2013 at 3:57am
No Tom, Doug's was in a similar thread called Total Length? posted around the same time...

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2013 at 4:00am
Tom, your sharp as a tac, it's up in the general 2A area under "Total Length", it was the inspiration for this thread.

Lee http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/total-length_topic30221.html
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
birddog7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birddog7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2013 at 4:01am
Thanks Chad, Thought I was seeing things. Somebody must have put something in my morning coffee. Big smile
Lee, Sharp as a very dull tack.

Edited by birddog7 - 21 Oct. 2013 at 4:18am
Birddog
1945 CJ2A
1956 CJ3B
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1946 Bantam Trailer
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 12:08am
Lee,

What did you ever do?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 2:08am
jpet, after looking at several used trailers, I have come to the conclusion for a few bucks more I can have a new one. Since I started looking, The used that have come up for sale are either 1yo, and same as new price with issues, or 10 yo, with many issues and by the time the brakes are repaired along with other issues it's up to new price. After looking over Bruces trailer at FCT, I like his setup. I also would like a ramp door and tall enough to stand in...... BUT, it's a wants thing not a needs thing right now, and I would like a concrete floor in my poleshed and my work car is nearing 300K in miles. For now I will keep wanting . Thanks for thinking of me and trailers .

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
GARGOYLEJEEPER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARGOYLEJEEPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 3:33am
You guys all did good, that is 1 thing I always heard in the shop, that most of the trailers are made for cars. We need the height and the DS door makes it easier, me I am "Mr. Towbar". What I really want & wish for is a Toyhualer Motor Home w/Chevy BB & Automatic or maybe I am dreaming.

Nice thread.
1948 CJ-2A 232505

Just trying to fix the world one Jeep at a time.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

.....Thanks for thinking of me and trailers .... 
PM sent
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 2:01pm
I have a 16' Carmate and love it. Go bigger then you think you will never regret it!  if your thinking 14' go 16' it tows really nice the added 2 feet will really come in handy.   and I went with the extra 6" of height option and it's so worth it. Wired it up with a plug on the outside and regular 120 outlets and florescent lights. pull in and plug it in to any standard outlet and I'm ready to go.  I use mine for a construction job trailer, and storage. its also so nice to go pick up things in bad weather and not worry about it.  Converts really quickly to a cheap camper if I need it to as well. 

The added storage when it's not being used is probably the best benefit that I hadn't really realized would be so handy.

Edited by windyhill - 04 Feb. 2015 at 2:03pm
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>