Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enclosed trailers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 2:34pm
Since this thread has already served its purpose, I hope Lee doesn't mind if I steer off a little.

I've been reading on my internet machine and I've got their pros and cons but can anyone here speak from personal experience the difference in fuel economy and power pulling an enclosed "V" nose trailer vs an open trailer given equal parameters?

My truck is a 5.7 gas and even though it can pull an open 20' trailer with 2 jeeps, I don't think I'd want any more weight.  Going up hill, I have to floor it sometimes to maintain Interstate speeds.  Now I have come into a sweet deal (free) on an enclosed 20'er.  Trying to decide what I want to do.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Now I have come into a sweet deal (free) on an enclosed 20'er.  Trying to decide what I want to do.

I'll give you $100 for it! Big smile

and another $100 to deliver it! Big smile

and I'll buy you dinner! Big smile

Seriously, if someone offered me an enclosed trailer that would fit the jeep I'd jump at it. While I don't yet have a tow dolly (just started searching but am finding what Lee found, people think used ones are worth new prices) my concern for towing somewhere has always been getting hit with a monsoon while on the road. If my canvas and horsehair seats ever got soaked it would take weeks to dry them out. Enclosed is so much better, IMHO.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 3:38pm
Well the trailer is mine but I may want to trade it off.  Some here have seen it at the Spring Reunion:

That was 6 years ago.  I hauled 2 flattys to the reunion.  I think that is one of the only times it was used.

Here it is today:

I'm just not sure how well my truck will pull it with all that wind resistance.  That's why I'd like to here some testimony.  My other problem is finding a place to keep it.  A flat trailer is not as much of an eye sore behind the fence. 
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 3:47pm
Plant some shrubs in front of it.... LOL
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 3:48pm
... or just paint them on the side
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 3:50pm
I'd really like to have something like that but that's alot of trailer to use 2 or 3 times a year.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 4:22pm
You know it may seem like a lot of trailer BUT it also serves as a cheap second garage.......kind of reduces the clutter around the shop...........you could also probably trade it straight up for a smaller one that will meet your needs.........Thumbs Up
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 6:15pm
  I use mine for storage too, but I try not to store anything in it but a jeep, camping gear, and stuff that actually belongs to the trailer. Otherwise, it'd fill up with "stuff" and I wouldn't be able to use it when I need it. EmbarrassedLOLWink   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 6:16pm
If you keep your speeds below 70, and the wind isn't blowing too bad, the height won't be a big deal.

Unless you are towing with a van or a pickup with a cap on it, I prefer a flat front trailer with a bubble or a V-nose to a plain flat nose trailer.

I'm surprised you aren't holding our for a 5th wheel deal though.
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

I use mine for storage too, but I try not to store anything in it but a jeep, camping gear, and stuff that actually belongs to the trailer. Otherwise, it'd fill up with "stuff" and I wouldn't be able to use it when I need it. EmbarrassedLOLWink   BW

I resemble that remark...
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 6:19pm
Sweet! That looks like it could be the beginning of a multi purpose toy hauler/camper/garage . It's even got a start at Camo!
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 6:24pm
Wow Jeff, that's a sweet deal for free. The wind resistance is definitely going impact your fuel mileage. I pulled my 26' enclosed with a 5.9 Cummins and that trailer would make the truck gobble up fuel like crazy whenever there was any kind of head wind. The more wind the more fuel. So while having the enclosed is nice, you're going to pay for it in fuel as compared to the flat bed. What really nice about an enclosed is not having to strap down every little thing... like sheet metal and boxes of stuff. You love that convenience.

One thing you'll want to consider is being over weight. Is this trailer steel or aluminum and what axels are under it? My trailer was steel and it weighed 4200# empty, so even with dual 5000# axels, I often was pushing being over weight with 2 jeeps, winch, battery, supplies, and other parts and such that I would haul.   

Lastly I have a word of caution about using it as a storage garage/locker. I thought my 26' enclosed was pretty secure with locks all over it, and it was stolen about 1-1/2 years ago including most of all the stuff that was in it. I lost about $1500 worth of racking that I had just bought, all my straps, decking, my winch set up, and some other misc stuff inside as well. Fortunately the thieves rolled out my 48 2A chassis and left that.... must have needed the space to steal something else. I also just happened to unload a huge lot of Ford Model T parts prior to the theft that my brother and I had bought at an auction just a couple weeks before.... whew. Anywho, just a word of caution about storing things in a trailer that someone might be able to steal more easily than you may think.    
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 6:29pm
I suppose I'll just have to load it up and do some testing.  When I'm crossing Kansas going west, There are times where it is hard for me to maintain 70 with a low boy and two flattys.  Somewhere on the trip, I can plan on seeing sonnoblast77 jet me doing 80+ in his diesel.

It would be a convenient camper but one of the things I look forward to on these trips is camping in a pup tent.

Using it as a storage shed would be good too but it would have to be a storage shed on someone else's property.  No way am I going to be able to keep it at home.

Man I sure got it rough don't I
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 6:35pm
This one is rated to carry 4900 lbs of cargo.  That's less than two flattys but not by much.  That being said, I suspect BAM BAM weighs 3 to 500 lbs more than a 2A  The time I hauled two, I loaded them them fact to face and I had to remove both bumpers so that I could allow the frame horns to pass through.  I probably could drive one up on ramps like I do on the 18' trailer.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 6:53pm
  This doesn't answer your question, Jeff, but;
  My '70 Chevy C10 (that's half-ton for those in Rio Linda) with a (mostly)stock 350 4-barrel, manual trans, and dual exhaust (no headers), did a fine job of pulling the pop-up camper and flat-bed trailer that I used to use. Yes, some diesels and an occasional big-block Ford or Chevy would pass me on some of the tougher hills, but still & all, it did a fine job. Gas mileage was 15-16 empty, and about 11 with the camper and jeep-loaded trailer. Without the trailer, the pickup actually got as good mileage with or without the camper, even though it weighed about 1,000 pounds. Better aerodynamics, I guess.
  As soon as I left the yard with the new enclosed trailer, loaded, I noticed that it was easier to pull, and it got better mileage (I don't have an exact number) than the camper-flatbed combination. It also pulled the hills better, so I guess the loaded enclosed must be considerably lighter than the old combo. The enclosed, loaded as it is when I go jeepin', weighs close to 6500#.
  For whatever it's worth.    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 8:13pm

No way am I going to be able to keep it at home.

Park it next to a brocade rug, nobody'll notice it with that camo. Wink

Sorry, the devil made me say it. Embarrassed
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 8:38pm

No way am I going to be able to keep it at home.

I have plenty of room for it here! Price is right too! Thumbs Up Wink

Actually the logical thing to do is get a bigger truck to tow it with and a bigger garage to keep it all in! LOL

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 8:44pm
... right .... so lets see ..... I need a '20 trailer and a new, bigger truck to haul a jeep that was designed to be able to go places without needing to be trailered. .... Confused .. Makes sense!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>