Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine assy nos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2022 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Ron D Ron D wrote:

Which still kind of raises the question if that 1967 crate motor is gear or chain drive (without an inspection or seeing the block casting number).

Would the Army have scrapped otherwise fresh (new or rebuilt) stock of chain drive L134's --- or would they have used them up first when a MB needed a motor?

Seeing these old documents is awesome!

I will bet that the crate motor is gear drive. Those 1MB prefix engines are all in the time frame of gear drive.

The Army would have used whatever engine was available to repair a broken Jeep. No need to scrap good chain drive engines.

Edited by Bob W - 07 Sep. 2022 at 8:52pm
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2022 at 8:50pm
The head and block tell you it was later, and honestly I think what appears as primer is part #680305 motor enamel all state orange.

And this gear

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2022 at 8:52pm
There were several contracts for 1-MB motors.

Based on Serial, this is a later contract after the early ones were depleted.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2022 at 5:49pm
Glad I don't come across such things in parts deals. A brand new engine in a crate would present a real dilemma for me.. The devil on my shoulder would be tempting me to use it in a Jeep, but the angel on the other shoulder would be telling me it should be left as is in the crate. 

All seriousness aside, it would be a shame to take that out of the crate. It needs to be on display in my man cave. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2022 at 7:19pm
It's been 15 years since I found two ALUMINUM L-Head bare blocks. NEW in the Kaiser aluminum box.

If I ever get them, I plan to build one, and display the other in a museum next to a Bobcat display.
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2022 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

It's been 15 years since I found two ALUMINUM L-Head bare blocks. NEW in the Kaiser aluminum box.

Now that's cool!  Any photos?
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2022 at 8:34am
Yes, I'll try to find them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123