Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine colors?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine colors?
    Posted: 05 Aug. 2020 at 12:16am
What colors were the engines?  I thought I read where replacement engines were all one color, maybe grey?  Mine is rust primer color with a red water pump.  Just trying to figure out which way to go.  Thanks.
Chop chop
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2020 at 12:42am
  All original engines were black; replacements were red. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
bosshoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2020 at 2:15pm
OK, thanks for the info.  Anyone want to post a picture on this thread of your engine bay with your traditional or non-traditional color choice?  I should paint my engine red as I am sure it is not original, but I am more partial to orange or grey.  Help me make my decision.

Also, were the transmission and transfer case also painted black?

Edited by bosshoff - 05 Aug. 2020 at 2:17pm
Chop chop
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2020 at 2:52pm
What is your engines serial number? All CJ2a engines were black as Bruce said before. The replacement engines were red....however unless the engine number started out with a 4LR yours is not necessarily a replacement engine that would be red. The replacements were factory replacements...and were red...anything else would have been black. The 4LR is the giveaway. (4cyl-L head-Replacement)
Yes. Transmission and transfer case were black.

Edited by damar2yxr - 05 Aug. 2020 at 2:54pm
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2020 at 3:32pm
  If your engine is not original to your jeep but not a 4LR, it likely came out of another jeep in a wrecking yard or other source. In that case it would likely have been black, as it was the original to the jeep it came out of. But guys like you who like another color may have painted it at the time of installation. Also, lots of independent rebuilders had their own favorite color that they put on everything that left their shop. 
  I’m known as one of the “purists” here, but I’d say paint your engine whatever color you like. The engine in my CJ2-A is a 4LR, but it’s black because almost all of my engines are black. I like ‘em black. BW 

bosshoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bosshoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2020 at 3:53pm
My engine runs like a sewing machine.  That being said, it has a nasty scar on the passenger side of the engine block which I assume is brazing.  I know that if a block cracked, backyard mechanics often used to braze the crack.  I think this is what happened.  It causes me no issues, except being ugly.  I don't dare grind it smooth to paint over and hide the lumpy brazing.
Chop chop
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2020 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

BW 

To clarify, is that red as in radio flyer wagon, or red as in red oxide primer?
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2020 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by oldscot3 oldscot3 wrote:

Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

BW 

To clarify, is that red as in radio flyer wagon, or red as in red oxide primer?

Red, as in International Harvester.LOL  BW

oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2020 at 9:21pm
Nice. The engine in my red jeep is primer gray. It is a replacement and I don't like the gray, I think I'll go red.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2020 at 9:26pm

The engine in my red jeep is primer gray.

It's not a Ford GPW engine, is it? They were gray.   BW

oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2020 at 9:40pm
Did the GPW engines have Ford script on the head? 

Mine has the Willys script but also a brass rebuild tag from the base at Pueblo.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2020 at 1:50am

Mine has the Willys script but also a brass rebuild tag from the base at Pueblo.

Bingo! The Pueblo Army Depot didn't care what kind of head when back with what kind of block, and vice versa. Yours could be a GPW Block with a Willys head.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2020 at 2:22am
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Bingo! The Pueblo Army Depot didn't care what kind of head when back with what kind of block, and vice versa. Yours could be a GPW Block with a Willys head.

Well they sure did a nice job, my little engine runs very well. No misses, no leaks, virtually no oil consumpion. Maybe I should leave it gray out of respect.
WillysWally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2020 at 5:03am
Good Evening oldscot3:

Where is the S/N on the engine?  Is it on the flat surface on the block above the water pump, ala 2A style?  Or is it on the machined boss behind the oil filter? And what does it say?  SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A is correct the depots did not care about matching MB and GPW parts during rebuilds.  At the end of the war to help Germany and the other European countries get back on their feet the US set up rebuild facilities, hiring the local civilians to rebuild the various soft skinned military vehicles.  I recall seeing pictures of piles -- literily piles of axles and other drive train components that were awaiting rebuilding and re-installation during the rebuild process.   I suspect that if the block was a depot rebuild the serial number would be behind the oil filter.  If it is, does it start with a GPW or an MB? 

The MB engines were painted OD.  It is my understanding that the reason the Ford engines were painted gray was that Ford built them in the same factory that made the engines for the Ford 9N tractor, that were also painted gray and when the started building the GPW engine they just painting the gray. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Walter
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2020 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by WillysWally WillysWally wrote:

Good Evening oldscot3:

Where is the S/N on the engine?  Is it on the flat surface on the block above the water pump, ala 2A style?  Or is it on the machined boss behind the oil filter? And what does it say?  SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A is correct the depots did not care about matching MB and GPW parts during rebuilds.  At the end of the war to help Germany and the other European countries get back on their feet the US set up rebuild facilities, hiring the local civilians to rebuild the various soft skinned military vehicles.  I recall seeing pictures of piles -- literily piles of axles and other drive train components that were awaiting rebuilding and re-installation during the rebuild process.   I suspect that if the block was a depot rebuild the serial number would be behind the oil filter.  If it is, does it start with a GPW or an MB? 

The MB engines were painted OD.  It is my understanding that the reason the Ford engines were painted gray was that Ford built them in the same factory that made the engines for the Ford 9N tractor, that were also painted gray and when the started building the GPW engine they just painting the gray. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Walter

I can't see what looks like a boss behind the oil filter. I'm pretty sure it was above the water pump, however no number is visable. I suspect the deck surface was machined for the rebuild and the number went away. The P.O.D. Base shop at Pueblo tag has a date of 8/55.
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2020 at 8:20pm
I'm sorry to have hijacked the thread, so here's a pic of the tag and I'll let it go or start a new thread.

Post Reply Post Reply