Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UPDATE! Engine Cylinder wall question - V6

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UPDATE! Engine Cylinder wall question - V6
    Posted: 26 July 2017 at 8:31pm
I don't know which section this should be in, but here goes:

I'm tearing my 'new-to-me' used Dauntless 225 down for an inspection before trying to run it. I have the heads and oil pan off and so far it looks mostly decent. There are no ring ridges to speak of and appears to be bored .040 over.

Here's the 'mostly'. the PS (right?) bank had water on top the pistons on the rear two cylinders:

Can I use emery cloth or a cylinder hone to 'buff this out', or is this going to be surgery at the local machine shop?

Edited by LesBerg - 27 Oct. 2017 at 6:29pm
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 9:01pm
You know what? I'm gonna grab the PB Blaster and some 2000 grit wet-or-dry paper and see if there's pitting...

... of course, I'm going to tilt the motor over and let the debris drip out the TOP of the cylinder LOL

Edited by LesBerg - 26 July 2017 at 9:03pm
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 12:03am
So here's an update with the rust sanded out. I ended up using 1000 and 1500 grit paper.

Cylinder 4

Cylinder 6

I'm most concerned with #4. I can feel the pitting.  If this was body work, you wouldn't even need a sandable primer to hide it. It looks like there's a hell of a ring ridge, but there isn't. I almost can't feel it.

Can I run it like this and maybe smoke a bit? Would hone dress it out?

I'm not looking for this thing to run forever, I just need it to last until I can pick up a freshly built motor. Then I'll swap them and have this one built as a back-up.

Time to go back out and check the bearings. It's not fun when it's 97 degrees.
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 12:49am
Les, If you want my honest opinion they all look like crap. I would bore it out and then start over. If you were closer I would give you a V6 block from my garage that is in much better condition. Same price as what I paid for it. Free.

Edited by Unkamonkey - 27 July 2017 at 12:57am
uncamonkey
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 1:25am
Because your future plans include replacement; 
I definitely think you should save yourself a lot of work and run it as it is. 
I suspect it will get you by as is for a good while.
If you go to  hone it out then that means pulling the pistons plus new rings and possibly new rod bearings etc. 
Dumping good money into a partial rebuild is a waste.
I my mind  it's siimply not worth doing a rebuild unless you go all the way..
If its already .040 over it will possibly be O.K. at .050 rebore (same as 231 pistons)
Myself I would not want .060 over because of increasing likeliness of overheat issues.
I would go .050 maximum bore or look for another block.
But that's just me I have 2 fresh ones that I recentlly rebuilt.
One is at .030 over bore and the other is .040 over.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 2:22am
I've run a heck of a lot worse ones and got good service out of the engine with just some scuffing up the walls.   (Brillo pad soaked in oil)  Actually those don't look that bad to me.

No experience with a Buick V6, but I've had several engines sleeved that were getting questionable on an overbore or had some serious cylinder wall damage.  
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 4:24am
Unka, I'd take you up on it if I was closer, too!

Only the one cylinder has pitting I can feel. A LOT of the info I'm finding online says:

A). Run it.
B). put it back together and compression test it. Run it if compression is acceptable.
C). Pitting where the rings sit as the piston reaches TDC is BAD. Fix it.

I'm going to try B. Only one cylinder has pitting that can be felt, and it's not very deep.

There are a couple of reasons I don't want to build a motor right now. Because of where we live vs. where my wife works, we need at least two running vehicles at all times. 

Our VW Golf, one of the currently 'running' needs suspension work. I smacked a curb-shaped asphalt dam about 4" tall that WDOT put across a back road to the north side of Spokane this spring. The warning sign the put 50 away from it on a blind 45mph corner was "CAUTION - LOOSE GRAVEL". I need the jeep running so I can tear into the damage and see what can be done.

Another is that finding ANY reliable machine shop or mechanic in the area is nearly impossible. I know only two shops where I would take anything I own. One only does transmissions, the other is European imports only.

Once I get the Dart sold I'll pick up a Dauntless offered by a member here that was rebuilt and stored. Knowing the members here, I would trust a motor you guys cobbled together from scrap to run better than anything built locally.

Oldtime, I'm going to check the bearings tomorrow and look for surprises. I will probably pull the pistons as well, as there's gunk trapped in the gap around the top of the pistons. I figure to clean them up, oil them, and stuff them right back in. Then I'll check out the timing chain, clean up the lifters, and clean the crap out of the block.

I tackle the heads after that and get them cleaned up too.

Willy M, same here but never with rust. Even if it smokes a bit and loses power on that cylinder, it will be better than the cracked motor.

Edited by LesBerg - 27 July 2017 at 4:38am
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 6:08am
Don't know . One of my V6 motors seems to sort of be content at 185.000 miles.
The other is somewhere less than 80.000 The offer is still out there for you on the other motor.
Again another I don't know I seem to be surrounded by good engine shops and good parts places.
uncamonkey
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 6:29am
Put it together as is and get it running.
A handful of Bonami down the carb throat and seat those rings to those cylinder walls.
You're good to go (as good as it gets anyway)
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 11:04am
Its really only big rust pits that will bite you, as oil etc will get past the rings.

I have seen worse bores that that in engines that run very well.
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 1:39pm
If you run it as is, let us know how it works out.  Unless there's something else going on that we're unaware of, you won't have a problem other than some possible increased oil usage.  And that should be minimal.  
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 3:43pm
If your going to go ahead and tear it down further anyway then you should  definitely do a quick light hone job. 
You can buy a cheap cylinder hone and do that yourself using a drill motor.
Plus, that way the ridges go away before you re-assemble it...

Yeah, by all means do a compression test after re-assembly that way you have a baseline and can see if it improves over time or not.
This is of interest so let us know how this develops....

T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 4:09pm
I'd be inclined to clean it up and run it if it's just a stop gap... fwiw, I've never honed a cylinder without replacing rings. 

ymmv.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 5:43pm
Yeah I would change rings anytime pistons are pulled so might as well hone it if you go that far.
Otherwise i suggest you save money for a future build and re-assemble this one as it is without pulling pistons.
Zero aftermarket parts

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 5:54pm
checking bearings right now. So far they look good.

biggest issue is how to remove the carbon from between the piston and cyl wall without pulling the pistons. New rings aren't in the cards right now, and I'm very curious to see first hand how well it runs.

I have been using the thinnest brass feeler gauge I have to clean the carbon from the gab between the cylinder walls and the piston, and it barely fits, even with the piston a bit down the bore.

I just don't want any crap in there that can damage the walls any more than they already are.

I'll get some bearing pictures up in a bit.
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 6:06pm
Carburetor cleaner in a pressurized can might work and blow it all out with a air compressor after flushing it with soap and water.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 7:13pm
I found some good advice for removing the crud between the piston and cylinder*. Now it's all cleaned up.  Rods bearings look good to me (an amateur). The main I pulled isn't as nice as the rods, but it looks serviceable. 

The crank is a 10/10 unit. Casting number says it's a 75-76 Buick 231 unit.
Block checks out as a 67-74 225, date stamped as 1967
Heads are 67-74 225, dated 1967

The even fire motor castings say it's an 80-81 Turbo Riviera. I'll dig into it later.

I still need to run the intake casting numbers for both motors.

I'll get more pics posted as soon as my phone syncs with my computer...

*I found an article by an aircraft mechanic who detailed how to do it. With the piston part way down the bore, pour a bit of motor oil on top the piston and get it into the gap. Spin the motor one revolution and gunk will be left in an oil film on the top 3rd of the cylinder wall. Wipe with a clean rag and repeat until you see no more.

time to go clean the lifters, then start de-funking the block itself.

Edited by LesBerg - 27 July 2017 at 7:21pm
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2017 at 8:36pm
a few pics:

#3 Main cap:

journal:

These pictures aren't as sharp, they're from my tablet...
Rod #2:
Rod #3:
Rod #5:

Edited by LesBerg - 27 July 2017 at 8:49pm
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>