Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine & Gear Oil Leaks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine & Gear Oil Leaks
    Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 7:32pm
I started a complete rebuild on my 2a several years ago. It’s been really slow, always something else requiring my time. But I’m back at it now. I’ve got a rolling chassis with brakes, suspension and steering. Body work is in progress. Next on the list is the drivetrain. I was originally thinking about rebuilding engine, transmission and TC but in order to move the project along more quickly I’m am thinking to just focus on eliminating leaks ( drivetrain was working before the disassembly). 

So, the drivetrain is out and the body is off the frame (rolling chassis only). Are there seals and gaskets in the engine, transmission, transfer case and diffs that can easily be replaced with basic tools that would eliminate fluid leaks?
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 11:35pm
There are plenty of seals and gaskets, but easy is a subjective word.

It is a lot easier to replace them with the Jeep disassembled, and most can be replaced with "basic tools". How easy it is would depend on how much experience you have as a mechanic.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 11:58pm
DO NOT under any circumstances put an old trans and t/c back into the vehicle.  They are almost certainly in need of a rebuild and the best time to work on them is BEFORE you put the body back on.

Since you HAVE to rebuild the trans and likely the T/C, you can then replace the gaskets (or use gasket maker) etc.  BTW, no matter what you do, there is a better than average chance that it will still leak/week/seep to some degree or another.  It is just the nature of the beast.

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2021 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

There are plenty of seals and gaskets, but easy is a subjective word.

It is a lot easier to replace them with the Jeep disassembled, and most can be replaced with "basic tools". How easy it is would depend on how much experience you have as a mechanic.

X2!
 Post Reply Post Reply