Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine ID

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine ID
    Posted: 17 Sep. 2019 at 3:53am
Need help with engine ID. It’s an L-Head. Not sure what year. I see a date 9-17. Does this mean September 17th. What year?

Where I would have expected to see an engine number I don’t. As you can see it’s blank. 

The engine casting number? appears to be 641087-L-W? (Maybe O,G,3) A-N CR-N2.  Does this tell me anything about the engine?

There is also a plate. What does this engine plate info tell me?

Thanks for any help you can give me. Hope fully I can figure out how to post pics. 

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2019 at 4:04am
641087 is standard 2A fare... no serial number likely means its been decked.  The tag is generic rebuild.  Good info but hardly the last word.  L is L134, W() is the mold number I think,everything after is meturlogcal (sp?) content. Yes, 9-17 is sept 17, usually worked with (missing?) ESN to establish year....look for ESN on deck boss above waterpunp in front of head

The generic tag tells you when it was rebuilt at that time, the bores were  cut 0.020 over, and the main and rod journals on the crank were ground 0.010".  Nothing says more work wasnt done after that, but I'd like to think a subsequent builder would have at least removed the tag Wink

Edited by mbullism - 17 Sep. 2019 at 11:40am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
JayBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2019 at 7:06am
The engine serial number is etched into the area above the water pump on the front of the engine.  Not sure if that's what you're looking for or not.  Mine is barely readable...but it's there.
1948 Willys CJ2A (restoration in progress)
1952 Ford 8N tractor restored
1997 Jeep TJ 265,000 miles, DD and mudder...I like to live dangerously.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2019 at 2:02am
The oval pad would only have been used on a 638632 casting # block.  A 641087 would have its serial # located as previously noted.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
gerrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2019 at 2:11am
Ok. I’ll look closer for an engine serial number above the water pump. In the meantime, I have a second L-Head. Can’t find a date but the casting number is 804380-W-13-D-P5 CUCR and the engine serial number (I found this one) is 4LR142198. Can these be used to determine year or any other info?
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2019 at 2:20am
The "4LR" was typically a 4 cylinder L head Replacement (a.k.a Crate) engine
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
gerrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2019 at 1:18pm
can the casting number and serial number be used to determine year?
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2019 at 2:49pm
Casting numbers represent versions of the same thing with usually minor differences.  They ran for months or even years without change, so usually not much help trying to get to a year let alone a month week or day

Serial numbers for engines were never tied to vehicle serial numbers... you sometimes can estimate a 2a based on engine number, the the later you get the more they were making runs of engines for other things at the same time.  Given a 4LR engine was specifically made for use as a replacement, and no records are out there that im aware of. I think its of little use.

If you really need to know, i’d drop the oil pan and look for a date stamp on the oil pan mating surface of the block, usually towards the rear near the rear main.  Not sure they did it for 4LRs, but if there it would be the date the raw casting was machined... usually like two weeks to a month after casting-
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2019 at 3:19am
Originally posted by gerrym gerrym wrote:

can the casting number and serial number be used to determine year?

You may be able to determine the year of the engine, but it may not necessarily be the year of the Jeep it's in.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply