Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k1011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine info
    Posted: 29 Nov. 2022 at 10:08am
Trying to figure out the year of this motor and any other information like why it has Beverly Hills zip code over manifold
Thank you

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2022 at 6:52pm
A wild a$$ guess on the stamped " Beverly Hills zip code over manifold". I suspect that is a shop stamped ID number. It is likely the Work Order number from a shop that overhauled this engine at one time in its life. I have stamped similar numbers on the engines I have overhauled.

The other numbers are what you need to find out the answers to the other questions. This info is on this site & I will let you do this work, I have a Willys or two to work on. Other folks on here may have the time for this.
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2022 at 9:42pm
The number on the front boss is your engine number

Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2022 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by k1011 k1011 wrote:

Trying to figure out the year of this motor.... 

What numbers and letter are cast on the driver side of the block, down low, near the rear?
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2022 at 10:00pm
Those are just the casting numbers. They'd be common to all the engines produced from the same casting.

BTW, my engine number is 3550730 which was determined to have come from a 52 Kaiser Henry J!

Edited by SlaterDoc - 30 Nov. 2022 at 10:11pm
Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2022 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by SlaterDoc SlaterDoc wrote:

Those are just the casting numbers. They'd be common to all the engines produced from the same casting.

SlaterDoc, 
You clearly have no idea who Bob W is.  He literally wrote the book on the CJ3A, and is considered one of the top historians on this subject.  If he asks for an engine number, you give it to him, then shut your mouth and listen.Wink
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2022 at 10:48pm
And don't forget he wrote the CJV-35 book also.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2022 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

When is he doing the CJ2A book ? πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½

LeeπŸ˜‰
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
β€œIf you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2022 at 3:51pm
I think Fred C has first dibs on a CJ2A book.
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2022 at 7:01pm
By examining the details of hundreds of engine blocks, trends begin to appear. One common trend is that at the beginning of the 1949 model year the block casting date moved from the passenger side of the block to the driver side. Up to about 1953 this date code can be used to determine the month, day and year of the casting.

True. Every engine cast on the same day will have the same data at this location.

BTW, my engine number is 3550730 which was determined to have come from a 52 Kaiser Henry J!
What are the numbers and letter cast on the block, down low, near the rear, on the drivers side?

Originally posted by Lee MN Lee MN wrote:

When is he doing the CJ2A book ?
My area of research is the CJ-3A/CJV35/M38. Of course the Jeeps that came before and after give us clues about why these Jeeps were what they were. Therefore I do not have enough data to make accurate assumptions about CJ-2As. I have corresponded with other CJ-2A experts about a book but it has yet to materialize.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2022 at 7:38pm
Here is an example...

Initially I thought I was looking at a "7", but now I think it might be a "1".  What do you think Bob?  This is a 641087 casting.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2022 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Initially I thought I was looking at a "7", but now I think it might be a "1".  What do you think Bob?  This is a 641087 casting.

I think it is October 10, 1949. What is the serial number?
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2022 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Lee MN Lee MN wrote:

Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

When is he doing the CJ2A book ? πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½

LeeπŸ˜‰

No need for a dedicated 2A book when you have The Civilian Jeep Model CJ-3A -or- "How Willys Overland Perfected the CJ-2A"Shocked

Edited by muley - 01 Dec. 2022 at 7:50pm
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
jpoole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpoole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2022 at 7:51pm
Bob W, your research sounds like a lot of fun and very interesting. 

Is there a list of information you like to receive from Jeep owners by chance?  I have an M38 (< ="text/">td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}12812) that I think is from Jan 51 and I'll be glad to pull numbers/etc. and send them to you when I'm next with it.  The engine has a "reconditioned.." plate low on the drivers side so I'm sure it's not original, along with some of the other wear items, but some of the parts/pieces appear that they may be original and the body is largely intact.  It's pretty much been untouched since the 70s or 80s as I understand it.
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2022 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by jpoole jpoole wrote:

Bob W, your research sounds like a lot of fun and very interesting. 

Is there a list of information you like to receive from Jeep owners by chance?  I have an M38 (< ="text/">td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}12812) that I think is from Jan 51 and I'll be glad to pull numbers/etc. and send them to you when I'm next with it.  The engine has a "reconditioned.." plate low on the drivers side so I'm sure it's not original, along with some of the other wear items, but some of the parts/pieces appear that they may be original and the body is largely intact.  It's pretty much been untouched since the 70s or 80s as I understand it.

Thank you very much for the offer. Are you a member of the Willys M Jeeps Forum? If so, post some photos and information about your M38 over there for everyone to see. If there are any specific questions someone will ask them.

Thanks again,
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2022 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Bob W Bob W wrote:

I think it is October 10, 1949. What is the serial number?

This engine is in CJ3A 13655.  The engine # is 3J39316

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2022 at 8:39pm
Engine serial number 3J39316 falls perfectly in the October 10, 1949 time frame. Vehicle serial number CJ-3A 13655 falls much earlier in the 1949 model year. Typically the skew is less than 500 during 1949. I have no idea why there would be such a discrepancy between the serial numbers.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2022 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Bob W Bob W wrote:

Typically the skew is less than 500 during 1949. I have no idea why there would be such a discrepancy between the serial numbers.

Because of this discrepancy, I've always assumed that this engine was transplanted into this 3A.  I guess a previous owner got a little lucky to get a 1949 3J engine for his 1949 CJ3A.  I wish I knew more of the history. 
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
 Post Reply Post Reply