Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine lifts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine lifts
    Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 10:32am
Morning I know this is risky but I would like to know what brand lift you guys use. I need one as mine was a triple hand me down and is now done. Thanks
Steve
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 10:47am
Plenty of them on market place if your patient, look for one that the legs fold up as they store much easier.

Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 10:49am
I have had mine for over 40 years. I bought it at a Mill and Mine supply store which is long gone. I have no idea what brand it is.

The ram quit working a couple of years ago and it was so old I didn't want to rebuild the ram because the part of the shaft that had been exposed was pitted with rust. Rather than buying a whole new crane I just bought a new ram from Harbor Freight that works fine and wasn't expensive. Unless your frame is bent the ram is about the only thing to go bad.

Harbor Freight is probably the cheapest if you want to buy a whole new unit and they work fine based on those a couple of my friends have.

I often need to haul engines and other parts, especially when I go to a Jeep event. I have been thinking about getting one of their fold up versions so when I need to carry one on my truck I can fold it down and close the cover over the bed.

Edited by Oldpappy - 12 Jan. 2023 at 10:50am
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 11:01am
I prefer to rent tools like engine hoists and others that I would use only occasionally. They take up someone else’s space that way. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 11:13am
I found one off craigslist for $75 and a 15 min drive. The thing is retardedly heavy but it disassembles so the majority of it is stored in the pockets between studs in the shop. No brand. But I suggest you scan the local craigslist these are the kind of thing people get rid of when they aren't using them.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
jeepgod2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepgod2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 11:22am
I have LARKIN with adjustable boom and folds up very compact for storage. At the time I believe it was made in the USA and seemed to be a little better quality. Had it about 20 years and still works excellent.
Rod
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 11:22am
I got the harbor freight 2 ton one and it was quite sufficient. Check marketplace or craigslist, they pop up used all the time. You might be able to fit a Harbor Freight replacement cylinder on your lift if it's toast. They make replacements that are air powered too! Makes all the hand pumping a thing of the past if you have a compressor setup.
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 1:37pm
I got mine from Northern Tools about 20 years ago. It’s a double pump cylinder (not sure if that’s the correct term….?) but it raises on both strokes of the pump and I love it!  Twice as fast.

But I think any Harbor Freight would be just as good.  I wouldn’t spend a ton of money on it.  Try used if you can.  There should be a bunch of people trying to get rid of them I’d think.
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 2:00pm
I second the used route. Many folks buy them and then realize they take up lots of space. Renting might be a good way to go as well. I put a 6x6 across multiple trusses in the garage and bought a chain fall. Takes up much less space, and I think it makes pulling engines easier. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 2:00pm
I have three I know where all of them came from, but I do not know the manufacturer's of them. I could look the next time I am out there. I know that the newest one has no data plate or other indication as to who made it. I got it from True Value over twenty years ago.

The oldest one is WWII surplus It used to have a tag on it, but I do not recall if it has the information that you want. It is powered by a hand winch with an aircraft cable on it. It is shorter than I like & very heavy. It has small wheels that are good if used on smooth concrete. I really need to pour some of that some time. I got it just for hauling it away.

The middle one looks just like the True value one I doubt if it has any identifying marking either, It is loaned out to my son. I will see it tonight so I will know more then. I bought it at a yard sale for ten bucks. They were moving to Alaska & had to "lighten the load". It had been her grandpa's. Even though I had two already, I thought that my son might want it. He has had it ever since I brought it over from the yard sale. His wife does not like him having big tools. Thus, if it is mine it is fine. I can not even figure that one out. Weird.

IMHO, there is no need to buy a new one if you look them over carefully, & do not find broken welds of steel, I would use any used one I find cheap. OTOH, I have five acres of space.

I also have a chain fall hoist that I paid $25.00 for decades ago. I put it on a large branch of a tree 15 feet up. Yes, I am a "Shade tree mechanic"!

All of them work well. While I am not a big fan of harbor freight, their quality is getting better. I said better, not good. In a pinch. I might buy one of theirs.

IHTH, Cpt Logger. 

Edited by cpt logger - 14 Jan. 2023 at 3:32am
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 2:07pm
My wife likes my big tool
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 2:31pm
I bought mine from NAPA 25 years ago. Folding legs is a very nice option. I know several guys using rams from Harbor Freight for various things including hoists and aircraft jacks. None of them have had any trouble. 

Renting is a good option for something that doesn’t see much use. 
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 6:43pm
I try to keep mine loaned out as much as possible. LOL

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 7:57pm
I have a borrowed one in my garage right now. LOL
1951 M38
1951 M100
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2023 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

I try to keep mine loaned out as much as possible. LOL

Me too, have not tripped over it in 3 years now, but I’ve been threatened with its return in the spring 😬

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Stevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2023 at 8:00am
Thank you all. Best response I have ever gotten as well a  number of good ideas. I'm thinking Harbor Freight or NAPA.
Steve
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2023 at 8:09am
Another option is to make one.  Smile

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2023 at 10:12am
If I had the space to store it I've always admired that roll around of Ron's. Thumbs Up

On another note, that JawHorse in this picture is one of the most versatile and useful tools I've bought in a long time.

Every shop needs one IMO.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>