Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine on a generator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nxslt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine on a generator
    Posted: 04 Apr. 2022 at 1:43am
This might not even be the right forum but it keeps popping up during my searches. I've got a willys engine that's hooked to a generator and I'd like to know more about it. The number stamped into the engine at the passenger side front is 37-50389. Cast into the side it has 3-11 then 635713W2 then NI-CR N2. There's a cast number on the head and it might be 630307W2. Any info on it like what year, what did it come out of?
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2022 at 5:09am
There are quite a few threads about these engines. Google search "Willys engine in a generator set, the CJ-2a page" that should find most of them. Then as you read those there will be links to the rest.

Basically this engine is the same as for a CJ-2a except it is set up to run at a constant speed. Many of the parts are the same but IIRC, the head, intake manifold, distributor, & the carburetor are different. The carburetor & the intake manifold will have a smaller throat then a CJ. The head is thicker so the compression is lower. The distributor will have a very limited advance curve as the engine does not need to accelerate. There maybe other things that I forgot about, but not many.

As to the year, look the serial number up on this site. It will be the same as a CJ-2a.

If I could get that engine fairly cheap it would be in my shop. The main components are usable in a CJ.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2022 at 6:39am
Might be interesting to hear more about the generator.  First guess would be 1937 (Americar? Whippet?)

Any pics of the block?  A.K.A., can you see the outline shape of the cylinders on the exterior?

ETA:  Does it look like this?

ETAA:  or this?

Edited by mbullism - 04 Apr. 2022 at 9:41am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
nxslt1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nxslt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2022 at 2:52am
Here's a few pictures I took of it today. I'll do that search you mentioned and see what info I come up with. It looks like it might be a 1937 according to those links. 

Edited by nxslt1 - 05 Apr. 2022 at 2:55am
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2022 at 4:38am
I think you're going to find that your engine is out of a willys model 37, prewar, pre "americar" ('41/'42)... the precursor to the "go devil" jeep engine that doesn't get that name until (40-42?).  Not sure how much jeep geeking you need, lol, but that basic engine was 48HP.  The Go Devil that would help Willys obtain war jeep contracts was 60HP, but to be fair I have no idea if they were rated the same (ie at the same rpm). 

MB
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2022 at 10:59am
I agree that is a prewar engine. The obvious give away is the head which has a two bolt water neck.

With a few minor differences it is basically the same engine as what was later used. One difference is the early engines had poured Babbitt rod bearings instead of inserts, something that would stump a lot of engine builders today if not used to working on antique engines.  
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2022 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

I agree that is a prewar engine. The obvious give away is the head which has a two bolt water neck.

With a few minor differences it is basically the same engine as what was later used. One difference is the early engines had poured Babbitt rod bearings instead of inserts, something that would stump a lot of engine builders today if not used to working on antique engines.  

True story. I have not scraped any bearings in in decades. I would not want to try on a customers engine. Mine? Why not? The process takes some serious time though.
nxslt1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nxslt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2022 at 12:22am
Been working on it the last few days and I finally got the old girl running. Is this a 6 volt system and is it positive or negative ground? I'd like to get the generator running. I'll have a video of the whole endeavor on my youtube channel hopefully next week. 
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2022 at 12:33am
Originally a 6V system negative ground.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
nxslt1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nxslt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2022 at 2:13am
Got the video done of getting the old girl running. Here's a link if you want to watch. https://youtu.be/q45xfS8_a_U
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2022 at 9:38am
Love it! 

I have never bought a running Jeep, and that moment when you first get an old engine running after it has sat for decades is always an amazing feeling. 

The two Jeeps I have now had not ran in many years when I got them. The 47 CJ2A had sat 10 years, the engine in the 67 CJ5 had not been started since 1979, and was stuck. I have both of them running good now.

Instead of transmission oil I use a hose and funnel to put a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder to free up old stuck engines. With all the crud showing when you scoped the cylinders I bet the rings are sticking. Were it mine I would use a hose and funnel to put a few ounces of Marvel into each bore and let it sit a week or two. The stuff will free up stuck rings, and after I did that I would add a bottle to the crankcase oil for a couple of oil changes. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
nxslt1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nxslt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 11:51am
I'm working on a Chrysler flathead out of an Oliver combine right now and nothing is helping including marvel mystery oil. Probably gonna have to pull the head.
 Post Reply Post Reply