Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Rebuild for 2A Page Members..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Rebuild for 2A Page Members..
    Posted: 06 Oct. 2010 at 10:43pm
Hey everyone,

Some of you might know that I've recently opened an automotive machine shop in Purcellvile, VA.

I'd talked about the possibility of offering special pricing and discounts to everyone on the 2A Page.

Well, here's what I've been able to come up with for a complete engine rebuild/restoration:

L-Head Engine Rebuild
- Complete Engine Teardown and cleaning.
- Glass bead small parts, brackets, and hardware.
- New Pistons, Rings, Rod Bearings, Main Bearings, Gaskets, Oil Pump, Timing Gears (or Chain) and Cam Bearing.
- Block Cleaned, Bored, and Honed.
- Valve Job.
- Cylinder Head Milled.
- Long Block Assembled in controlled clean assembly room, to show-quality specs.
----------------------
$999.95

The only things that aren't included are Cam & Lifters, and machining the crankshaft. Depending on the condition of your motor these aren't always required.

Let me know what you all think. I've been trying to get together a good discount price for everyone here, since you all have been so helpful over the years--hopefully I can return the favor!

If anyone has any questions or want any more info, feel free to give a call: 540-338-1001.

Thanks again,
Evan
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2010 at 11:16pm
Hey Evan,   congrats on your new adventure!  I'm going to chime in but keep in mind I have limited experience with getting motors rebuilt...I've only had to do it once.   But, from what you have listed, I would say that it's a fair price for those who can haul it to you.     Does that include necessary gaskets, hardened seats, rattle can paint job and the re-taps (or heli-coils) that you will inevitably encounter?  If you're including rod bearings in the offer, wouldn't you then turn the crank regardless?  Keep us posted, and good luck!
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
all4jpn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all4jpn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2010 at 11:47pm
evan..yur awesome....
46 cj/06 lj/ and mb/2a/38 hybrid project
westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 12:47am
By the time I was done with Mule's engine rebuild including a replacement crank,  flywheel, and clutch package it came to around $1500. Your price is very reasonable. You'll offer some sort of guarantee with that? With all the eastern members and reliable rebuilds you should keep busy I'd think.

Good luck, WFB 
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 2:13am
As a base price that seems VERY reasonable. You should  keep plenty busy.
The problem I've found is that most of these blocks have cracks that need to be "pinned" This exposes  you,  the builder to alot of risk if you do this repair as well as the machining and rebuild.
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 3:34am
$1500 was mine too and I did almost all of the work. Just not the valve guides and boring and installing /adjusting the valves I had the cyls. bored, and the cam installed.  the rest I did.
Ed
cj2a lefty
evanjm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 3:29pm

Yeah, that price would include hardened exhaust seats.

As for rod bearings, if the crank mics out to spec you can polish and replace bearings. It all depends on the condition of the crank. Turning a crank for a 134 is usually about $100.

As for paint, we'll spray each part just prior to assembly with a high-temp enamel primer, then 2 finish coats of a high-temp acryllic enamel. This way we can do everything from basic gloss black to a bright blue metallic flake (talk about one crazy L-head!). From what I've seen, this makes for a good looking motor that lasts for quite a few years.

For a guarantee, being a new shop, that's something I'm figuring out right now. I'm toying with the idea of offering some sort of warranty for X amount of miles or time? What do y'all think?

That being said, even without a formal guarantee, if there's a problem with one of our motors you had better believe I'll make sure it gets taken care of!

- Evan
Randy Snyder View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2010 at 11:12pm
Evan,

Any chance you could post some pictures of your shop?

Randy
'46 2A #13943

'46 2A #26236

'45 T3-C #436

Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2010 at 2:33am
Evan,
A fellow VA resident here thanks you for your generous offer.  Your not right next door to me but that's not a big deal.
I will be needing my engine done soon.
As far as the warranty goes you may want to do the X amount of time or XXX amount of miles which ever comes first thing.
Because if you go with the mileage, then some one who doesn't drive the jeep at all could go years into your warranty.  If you do just the x amount of months then some one who drives the Jeep hard could break it before the time frame is up.
Just some thoughts.
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2010 at 2:07pm
Nice service and nice price.
Two done in the past 10 years were around $1600 ea.
Each started with a block clean and pressure check to find cracks.
Each had cracks to repair - the shop I use has a sub that specializes in only repairing cracks with pins.

The little bits added up like cracks, broken stud and bolt removals, helicoils, cranks had to be turned etc.

I never expected a warranty because I did the installlation and initial startup.  But when I had a problem the builder came right to my house and sorted it with me.

Good to see your new business having a strong go of it.  We dont hear about that often enough.

Tom

Tom
evanjm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2010 at 7:20pm
Thanks so much for the kind words!! It's real exciting--and scary--finally getting the shop up and running!

Here's a few photos that got snapped yesterday. I'll try to get some better ones showing the whole machine shop...
(I'm on the left. Billy Griffith, my head machinist is on the right)

Billy milling a head on the milling machine...

And the first vehicle M&D worked on.... (sorry, couldn't resist!)

I'll get some better photos today that show our equipment better and upload those
hopefully this afternoon.

Thanks again for all the kind words!

- Evan

Edited by evanjm - 08 Oct. 2010 at 7:22pm
Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2010 at 11:18am

Evan,

There are so many shops going out of business or upgrading, keep an eye out for machines. Our company practicly gave away so great stuff as we moved over to out sorcing. There must be some kind of network because the word would get out like a Saturday tag sale.

We were always looking for shops to do small parts machining jobs for us also. Most of the larger shops wanted the high numbers.

Good luck on your new business.
Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
ovrlnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2010 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Ritt Ritt wrote:

Evan,

There are so many shops going out of business or upgrading, keep an eye out for machines. Our company practicly gave away so great stuff as we moved over to out sorcing. There must be some kind of network because the word would get out like a Saturday tag sale.

We were always looking for shops to do small parts machining jobs for us also. Most of the larger shops wanted the high numbers.

Good luck on your new business.

x2 on finding cheap equipment. By buddy's machine shop had to move locations due to growth and the new building had 2 boring mills, which were given to the landlord upon default. He had no idea what to do with them and gave them to my buddy.Tongue
porsskar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porsskar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2010 at 2:19pm
Maybe not the right thread but is this engine block beyond repair with a crack in the intake valve area, fourths cylinder, see photo below 

Sten from Finland
1947 CJ2A serial 94118
1949 8NAN Ford tractor
1965 Mahoghany Snipe FIN 14018
evanjm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2010 at 5:57pm
Yeah I lucked out as far as machines and tooling goes. The owner of the shop that I grew up working at as an apprentice retired this last June and offered me the shop--and all of the equipment--at a great price. The best part is that the equipment also included a huge collection of machine tooling and hard-to-find hand tools that he had built up over the past 50 years. It's just hard to beat some of the older tools!

- Evan
thesawch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesawch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2010 at 9:25pm
Do you have a service available in case I would like to ship my engine via motor frieght to you from the  northern midwest..I am not sure if anyone around up here would do a willys engine so its just a thought??
evanjm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2010 at 1:24am
Yes, I've been in contact with Old Dominion Freight Line and they'll handle any sort of shipping for us. If you'd like I can see what it'd cost and also shop around for a good rate to ship it down here.

- Evan
sireland67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2010 at 2:03am
Your prices are very reasonable.

New Pistons, Rings, Rod Bearings, Main Bearings, Gaskets, Oil Pump, Timing Gears (or Chain) and Cam Bearing.
Have you guys priced all of these parts? And the machine work done?

My local shop charged $650.00 for all the machining which included the crank, rods, head milling, and removing a couple of broken bolts.  They did a excellent job. 

But EVAN is providing the parts included for $350.00 more.

I wish the best for you, and thanks for keeping a few more willys on the road.

3X on buying good used equipment, you can buy it cheap, but moving it will really hurt the wallet.
1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>