Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Engine Group
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine upgrade. Buick or Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wileysdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine upgrade. Buick or Jeep
    Posted: 09 Feb. 2019 at 2:00pm
Which is the better upgrade? And would someone kindly explain oddfire in this context? Thanks, Hal
HalW
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2019 at 3:41pm
"Better" is a relative term.

What specific engines do you hope to compare ? 
225 vs. 231 or additional  engines ?
If you want the Jeep to remain as being 100% Jeep then the Dauntless 225 is your best option in a flatty.

Perhaps more importantly.......
What is the realistic expected use or for what type of driving ?
Off Road % Hiway % Trailering % Racing %

Odd vs Even is basically means that the ignition sequence is not directly opposed.
The distributor cable terminals are not all positioned directly opposite.

For more detail try this link and scroll down...

Edited by oldtime - 09 Feb. 2019 at 3:50pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

wileysdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wileysdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2019 at 4:49pm
Thanks, Ken, that some valuable info; at least to me. I've an old Buick V6 in the garage somewhere, and owned a '66 CJ5 with the Dauntless V6. I have now a '47 CJ2a that i'd like to reach some highway speeds with. Other than that the Wikipedia site you gave was iinvaluable. Thanks again, Hal
HalW
DeLong1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeLong1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2019 at 6:05pm
Here is a '46 that I put a '77 231 odd-fire in, takes a little ingenuity but the results are worth it. The major adjustment is recessing part of the firewall/cowl for better clearance and use the straight 6 jeep transmission input shaft (longer) along with a trans-bell adapter.
 Post Reply Post Reply