Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Everyone, meet "Pebble"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maineiac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Everyone, meet "Pebble"
    Posted: 03 May 2022 at 12:14am
"Pebble" is a 1946 CJ2A that was left in a field for the better part of 30 years by anyones guesstimate. The story goes that it was purchased with the intent of restoration, and that person passed, leading to it being sold to the previous owner... who then passed away. So now, in an act of potential fratricide, I was encouraged to buy the thing! Not that, of course, I needed much convincing. A childhood of John Wayne and "The Adventures of Tin-Tin" will do that. 

So naturally, we hauled "Pebble" out of the muddy field, and onto a Uhaul trailer. Amazingly, the wheels all turned, and three of them still held air! 

Getting it back up to my neck of the woods wasn't much of an adventure, but cracking into her was certainly... something!

The tub is completely sound, with the tailgate having been deleted in the past, possibly around when the arctic top was installed. Which as it turns out, is an actual surplus top for the M-38, which could explain the odd fitment issues. 

The frame has seen better days, but isn't beyond recovery.

The engine had its sparkplugs pulled when I found it, and I braced myself for the worst. But I never fathomed the possibility that some joker went and filled the darn thing with sour apple juice Tongue

At least the rust is... not as bad as it could have been? Right? RIGHT?!

Luckily, most of that was debris of an organic nature, and not corrosion. I was already planning on a complete engine rebuild using a kit from Kaiser Willy, so the corroded valves already have their replacements lined up, as well as hardened seats. The cylinders seem like they have only a very minor amount of corrosion near the very top, but I'll know more once I have the pistons out. 

The worst that the head looks like it'll need is helicoil repair to the sparkplug threads, but that'll wait until it's properly cleaned up of course. Do you fellows reckon that if I use the old gasket as a shield, that I could bead blast the crud off the inside of the head here? Or is that just new guy foolishness? The old head gasket was absolutely vitrified by the way, felt like fossilized carboard. 

In any case, congrats on reaching the end of this long thing, with any luck, I'll have more "interesting" progress to share soon, thanks for having me here!

Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 7:29am
Nice jeep. The head is from a WWII Ford GPW.  I would avoid blasting it - too often blast material ends up badly in the wwong places. 
Is the No tailgate tub a DJ tub?  
Maineiac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maineiac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 7:58am
Ah well, I suppose most folks use a chemical cleaning agent then? 

I don't know if it's a DJ tub, it's possible, but at the same time, It's not quite factory looking, if you know what I mean. I'll know more once the tops off. 

All I know is that I know nothing Wink
Rich M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 1:46pm
Large speedo,DJ tub at a minimum hardtop saved it from the elements. Good score! 
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 8:00pm
Lots of potential, nice save
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 8:23pm
Nothing is adding up here.
- wheels turned
- head came off without you having to post HELP "head wont budge after soaking it in something for weeks"
- Engine actually has antifreeze in it
-M38 Top still had its ID tag
- M38 windshield still has rifle carrier brackets
- Tub not rusty in Maine?  I thought the DOT installed rust on everything up there.

Let me guess: Next you are going to post a picture of the transmission with the shifter removed and say that it looks like new inside.

Back to the GPW head - I did soak a head in white vinegar diluted with water once.  It was in the solution for about a week and powerwashed after.  It came out very clean but there are others out there who may say soaking is a bad thing so their opinions would be good to field.

Let us know how its going!

duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 8:55pm
That looks to be a nice project.  And welcome to the site!
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Maineiac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maineiac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Tom in RI Tom in RI wrote:

Let me guess: Next you are going to post a picture of the transmission with the shifter removed and say that it looks like new inside.

Don't tempt me, I might just start tearing into it tomorrow, but it feels like it's shifting smoothly already...

But in other news, I got lucky! (No, not like that, get your head out of the gutter)

I followed a lead, and met up with a fellow who has a chicken barn full of old car parts, and made off with a decent(ish) condition tool compartment for $120, and an oil filter unit with bracket and a used hose for $40. He had a pile of stripped MB, CJ2, CJ3 frames, and some tubs in... varying states of decay. Two USPS Willies as well.

The tool compartment is neat, in that the pull handle rotates 180* to lock the compartment, which is a nice feature. 

It almost fits, but alas, will need some persuading to actually sit flush. 

Thanks for the welcome fellas, more to follow. 

P.S., I drained the oil pan, about a quart of water came out, followed by that sweet Texas tea, oil, that is. Might try to pop the pan off tomorrow to see how bad the crank is, might have an extra pair of hands as well. Who knows? 

P.P.s.,
Originally posted by Tom in RI Tom in RI wrote:

- head came off without you having to post HELP "head wont budge after soaking it in something for weeks"

I used a set of opposed hardwood wedges that I made over lunchbreak at work, popped it right apart nice and cleanly, the headgasket came off in one piece, didn't stick to anything at all, which might be why there's antifreeze in the cylinders Tongue

The Marvels mystery oil hasn't seemed to penetrate the cylinders in the three days I've left it...

Edited by Maineiac - 07 May 2022 at 8:43pm
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 8:49pm
the rotating tool box latch is common to the M38Thumbs Up
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Maineiac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maineiac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 3:02pm
Hello everyone, not much of an update, except that there's a fellow local to me selling a "CJ3" that runs and stops, with the 4 cylinder engine, for $1,000. 

Would it be possible to essentially just do a straight body swap between my CJ-2, and this CJ-3? I'm under no illusions that the new motor is going to need some TLC and tuning, but getting a running engine under the hood would be a hell of a jump, considering that a rebuild kit for my 4cyl is $850!
Maineiac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maineiac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2022 at 8:32pm
Alright, bit of a lie there. I had it in me to continue dissecting the engine bay. That distributor is still stuck fast for the time being, but I removed the radiator, water pump and generator without much fuss. Oh, and the horn!

Maineiac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maineiac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2022 at 11:32pm
Made some more progress, and hit a wall. The engine bay is fully stripped, and we wheeled it into the shop to pull the motor, which went great except... the engine output it stuck on the spline somehow, and isn't letting go of the transmission. 

Also, somehow, the squirrels or mice set up shop in the transmission housing. I have no idea how they got in there. 
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2022 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Maineiac Maineiac wrote:

Made some more progress, and hit a wall. The engine bay is fully stripped, and we wheeled it into the shop to pull the motor, which went great except... the engine output it stuck on the spline somehow, and isn't letting go of the transmission. 

Also, somehow, the squirrels or mice set up shop in the transmission housing. I have no idea how they got in there. 

I'm assuming you mean bell housing not transmission housing...? 
I'd bet the little buggers got in through the timing hole cover, which is often missing.  I had a full bucket or two of mouse nest in mine when I opened it up.  That stuff holds the mousture... I mean moisture, in there and is probably why the clutch is rusted to the shaft and won't let the engine separate.  That's how it was on mine at least.  Hopefully your flywheel isn't too badly pitted.  Mine was close but good.

Let us know your solution please.  This has to be a common problem and it'd be nice to know other solutions.
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
Maineiac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maineiac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2022 at 12:17am
Hey, it's been a while (life has a way of doing that). We're cracking into the old girl again shortly here, and I've found a reputable fellow with a media blaster to help us start prepping some of the smaller components for priming and painting. 

Our current hypothesis for why the engine isn't sliding out freely is... the clutch arm is still attached. Whoops. 
Maineiac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maineiac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2022 at 10:58pm
Well, as it turns out, what was keeping the engine in was the engine stay (aptly named). With that out of the way, we cleaned the engine up and pulled the oil pan off, as well as the timing gear cover (those gear teeth are ROUGH, their surfaces look like rasps!) rod caps, crank etc...

The crank is probably salvageable. Only one bearing surface has any corrosion, and not noticeable pitting. The cams on the other hand, are frankly a 50/50 affair. They might clean up. 

The pistons and cylinders are a complete basket case, the rebuild kit is coming with fresh pistons, so that's a moot issue, but will need to talk to the machinist about having the block sleeved. 

It just goes to show, even if you plan on going back to work on your Jeep tomorrow... put those damned plugs back in!  It'll save some poor bugger a LOT of work a few decades down the line if your ticker decides that it doesn't want to work on the jeep tomorrow. :P
Maineiac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maineiac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2022 at 11:24pm
The worst cylinder, directly under the hood seam...

The oil takeup... looks a bit chunky

The oilpan is likewise gelatinous. One poor fieldmouse seems to have crawled his way up the exhaust, down an open valve, and found himself in his own personal La Brea tar pits. 

And... one of the better looking pistons. Should buff out right? :P

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2022 at 7:46am
Originally posted by Maineiac Maineiac wrote:

And... one of the better looking pistons. Should buff out right? :P

I'd take the four worst ones and set them aside... the rest are good to go Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Maineiac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maineiac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2022 at 10:26pm
So, minor update, if you can call it that. I've found a fellow about a four hour drive away who's selling an old generator that's powered by a, you guessed it, L134. He says that it starts up and runs fine, after being listed for 22 weeks, he's dropped the price from $1,200, to $800. 

Any thoughts? The dataplate on the engine says that it's model is "CJ2A", which gives me hope that it's already set up with the proper power output from the engine crank, and not a generator specific design. 

"WWII Willys jeep powered generator. Runs good , smokes for a minute at start up but goes away. Fuel pump stopped working, its gravity feed now. Fuel pump needs a rebuilt kit. Generator does make power and was told by last owner that it was gone through. I bought this for the engine to put in a cj2a project but changed my mind. If the ad is up , its still for sale NO trades"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>