Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Everyone, meet "Pebble"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2022 at 5:41am
It may have an industrial head, but that said for $800, but it. Changing the head is easy enough and since it runs it may or may not be in better shape than what you have. 
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2022 at 9:18am
I bought the same in an old Hobart welder a few months back for $400
 Mine was not running when I bought it, but I got it going with a little massaging.

It's going to go into my '53 CJ3A.......
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2022 at 12:27pm
The used engines that are not in a vehicle running and driving are a bit like a box of chocolates - you really dont know what you are gonna get.   $800 + a 4 hour drive seems steep for an engine that you still have unknowns like cracks, maintenance, rebuilds (or not) etc.
There is a guy in Maine advertising $100 L-134's on craigslist so that may open other possibilities too.
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2022 at 1:09pm
Changeing the head is easy enough, I ran with an industrial head from 2019 to about a month ago with no issues. If you do go ahead with the generator, you'll most likely need to change the intake and throttle body of the carb I believe
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Maineiac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maineiac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2022 at 8:41pm
Well, an update, I shook hands with a fellow (money to follow shortly) for a wartime signal corps PE-95 generator whose engine was overhauled at a local (well regarded shop), that has 1014.0 hours on the clock at a governed 1800 RPM.  Unlike the fellow in Mass, this guy's only an hour thirty down the road. 

It's completely milspec, has the automotive head, flywheel, and I'm pretty sure the automotive Carter carb as well (but that's a detail I'm less well versed on).  

We ran it a couple times and played with the governor linkage to rev the motor, and she purrs. 

Maineiac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maineiac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2022 at 2:15pm
Hello again with an update. Found an early style split windshield locally for $75. Some rust of course, but I've excised much of it already. Now to fetch some sheet metal drops from the local supply yard! 

Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2022 at 9:05am
Good score.  The aluminum on the top bar is for an aftermarket top.  Weld up those holes too.  I went so far as using one of those holes in the tube to flood the inside with thinned primer.  Dont know if it helped slow the inside from rusting but it made me feel good. 
Maineiac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maineiac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2022 at 10:20am
The screws holding the aluminum bars on are quite seized, I'm planning on cutting the heads off to remove the strips, grinding the nubs down, and welding the remainder in place and be done with them. 

On a related note, not a single metal supply shop or automotive store has 18 gauge sheet steel in stock! 
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2022 at 11:20am

On a related note, not a single metal supply shop or automotive store has 18 gauge sheet steel in stock! 
[/QUOTE]

I have about 1,000  lbs of 18 gauge cold rolled steel.  Give me the sizes you need and it is yours for the shipping cost.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Maineiac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maineiac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2022 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

I have about 1,000  lbs of 18 gauge cold rolled steel.  Give me the sizes you need and it is yours for the shipping cost.

Jim
[/QUOTE]

That'd be an enormous help, sent you a message. 
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2023 at 4:55pm
  I am sending you some 20 gauge also because that is what is on the original windshield frame.
   Jim
Maineiac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maineiac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2023 at 9:27pm
Well, thanks to WeeWilly, I'm making some progress on rehabbing the windshield. It's not pretty, but it'll hold til I get my TIG welder back! 

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2023 at 10:33pm
 Glad they worked for you. What gauge did you use?

Jim
Maineiac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maineiac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2023 at 10:42pm
I used the 18 gauge for one, and the 20 for the other (as an experiment), to see how they actually lay in place, and worked with absorbing the weld heat. I think I'll be using the 20 gauge for the lower portion, as it'll be just a little easier to form that bend in it to conform with the lower tube. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12