Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Exactly what do I have here???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exactly what do I have here???
    Posted: 11 June 2018 at 1:48pm
I found this lonely little guy from a link on a facebook page out in New Belen New Mexico in early May 2018. It was sold to me as a 1950 Willys Jeep...it had no rust the price was very very good....

this is the motor...I believe it is 1975-77 Buick V6
rear view from the ad

front axle as found

Rear axle as found

anybody seen a VIN tag like this before???

carb as found on Jeep...

My goal is to get it running and see how it runs...it even has a hydraulic firewall mounted clutch set up....Any idea where I can get those plastic caps for the master and slave cylinders???

They even moved the seats back so as not to be as cramped as a stock Willys would be...

Any insight would be awesome

I am the squirrel....
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 2:31pm
I couldn't find allot about that Vin, 3513 prefix doesn't do anything. 8513 seems to be a build prefix for a 60s dj5, so I'm guessing that first number is a 8.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 2:35pm
off the top, the vin tag is not original to the jeep, looks like a reproduced tag, that someone stamped #into
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 2:58pm
It looks like a salad, I find it odd the shocks are mounted on the inside of the springs.I wouldn't be surprised if they set a cj2-3A body on a dj5 frame and put the drivetrain from a cj5 in it. Something is strange with the drag link too, almost looks like it was cut and welded a piece in it.

Edited by 48willys - 11 June 2018 at 3:04pm
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 3:25pm
What you have here is a trail Jeep.  Looks like this can be a lot of fun.  Get it running and enjoy it!
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 3:44pm
The fuel tank is a hand built deal sets up in the rear between the frame rails...exits out the rear panel where the tailgate use to sit...thinking about putting it back in under the seat where it use to be...shown just to the left of the spare tire...filler neck is a dry rotted rubber hose...

Not sure what this shifter is from...I am thinking it might not be a T90???....any thoughts??..I tried to get pics from the bottom side and nothing was coming out clear enough to see anything...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 5:12pm
Like said earlier, Jeep Salad. Get running, stopping and drive.

Transmission could be a T-90, a T-14, A T-150? Is it a 3 or 4 speed?

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 7:38pm
Based on the windshield and what looks like  the holes for a key Coil in the dash I would say it is a CJ2A.  The front differential has a long tag on the drivers side of the differential cover - Would be interesting to see what that tag says - might be a early Powerlok limited slip in there.  

Enjoy!
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 3:13am
Some one invested a lot of time to get that together.
It *could* be a good combination of stuff.

The ID tag may be completely bogus, but if it matches the title, I would not start asking any questions, just leave it be and don't rock that boat.

I have to wonder if the aluminum tread plate is hiding some rust.

All in all, if it was a good price, it could be a fun toy, maybe without costing a fortune. Wink
1946 CJ2A 14098
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 4:25am
I see a model 41 rear axle and a whole lot of diamond plate.  If there's really no rust under that, someone wasted a lot of time and money covering up... nothing?  The tub might be part DJ and part CJ-2A.  Jeep salad, CJDJ-2A.  Perfect engine for a little Jeep.  Did you get it home yet?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2018 at 1:13am
OK, I'd like to simplify this a little and eliminate extraneous info.

This covers Buick and some Dauntless castings:
I'll find some other resources I used and post them here.

For a quick check:
Check the valve covers. What style are they?
If you have this style of flat-topped valve cover

Then the top of the cylinder head should look like this:
If it does, you almost certainly have a Kaiser manufactured Dauntless 225 V6

If the valve covers looks like these:

then the top of the cylinder heads should look like this:
If so, you have some variety of Buick 231 V6 and further identification is required.

A Buick V6 will have a casting number on the top of the back of the motor, between the intake and transmission.

You'll need to check the engine block casting number located here and compare it to the PDF linked above:

This number will tell you:
  • year range of the engine block casting
  • odd or even fire
  • what type of car it was used in
  • whether or not is was equipped with a turbo

If the valve covers don't match the head type, then you have a modified engine. Either way you should check the head casting number on both heads. They might not match.

Head casting number location for Dauntless and Buick V6s, circled in red:

Just a little deeper, just in case:
You can swap Buick 231 and Dauntless valve covers by hogging out the mounting holes, so valve cover type isn't necessarily an indication of which engine you have.

Buick 231 heads can be installed on Dauntless motors, but there's lots of work and money involved for very little return. In most cases, the head alone will tell you whether you have a Dauntless or Buick 231.

However, the Dauntless is the predecessor to the Buick 231, leading to the Turbo V6 used in the Buick Grand National T-Type, and on to the supercharged Buick 3800 still in use today. Because of the ease of modification of these motors and the way you can interchange parts, it's not uncommon to see Buick V6 motors with mismatched parts.

Here's the rundown on why cylinder head type matters:
Dauntless heads almost always mean you have a Dauntless motor
You can technically bolt Dauntless heads on a 231 and convert to pushrod oiling, but my understanding is that the motor wouldn't cool properly (different passages through the head gasket) and the valve tips wouldn't be properly oiled, leading to premature wear and failure.

Dauntless heads have smaller ports and valves and is generally considered inferior to the 231 performance-wise, so this is a swap you're not likely to ever see.

Dauntless valve covers could just be a P.O. dressing an Odd Fire Buick 231 to look like a Dauntless.

Buick heads almost always mean a Buick 231 motor
The popular internet consensus is:
You can put Buick 231 heads on a Dauntless, but the oil passages through the deck must be drilled, tapped, and plugged. Then the motor has to be converted to pushrod oiling by using 231 lifters and pushrods. Further, you have to do some welding and modifications to the water jacket ports on the bottom of the head. This is expensive and not much use on a Jeep. You're not likely to see it.

My personal opinion (not worth a lot, in my estimation), having examined the differences between early Buick oddfire and Dauntless heads:
All you should have to do to stick 231 heads on a 225 is plug the oil passages on the deck and drop in 231 lifters and pushrods.

In my experience, the difference in water jacket ports from the deck to the gasket and the gasket to the head is usually more extreme than the differences I see between the ports in the 225 deck and the 231 heads.
I see no reason that the water jackets need to be modified. That said, I've never done the swap so I couldn't tell you if this results in cooling issues. It very well could.

Going Much Deeper:
Bubba has been known to actually go much farther than this. Not specifically on jeeps, but the bubbafication of Buick motors knows no bounds. Bubbas with Buick cars are known to mix up even fire blocks with odd fire cranks, swap heads around, and god knows what else.

HEI Ignitions:
There are two different HEI ignitions for Buick 231 V6 motors, one for even fire engines and one for odd fire. The Odd Fire HEI will drop right into a Dauntless and will run as long as the wiring is modified to match.

How to tell them apart.
Look closely at the differences between the two reluctor rings, specifically the layout of the triangle bits (odd on the left, even on the right):

It's not uncommon to have the wrong distributor cap on an odd fire motor with HEI, so check the cap as well.
Again, odd on the left and even on the right. Notice that the odd fire cap actually has eight spark plug towers with the even only has six. If the distributor and cap don't match, it won't run right.

Usually, the block will have the right crank for the block type - odd or even fire, but this isn't always the case. If an amateur builder mixes the wrong parts and can't get it running, a simple cure is to sell it and let someone else sort it out.

If you find you need to sort out this kind of mess, we'll jump...

Right off the deep end:
If you get to the point of trying to start it and it still won't run right and you have a matching distributor and cap, the distributor may not be matched to the crank.

At this point you may have to drop the oil pan and have a look at the crankshaft. If the distributor and crank don't match, you'll need a new distributor.

These are the two crankshafts in question - even and odd fire. In keeping with previous pictures, odd are on the left and even on the right.
Note the connecting rod journals in each picture, circled in red.
On the odd-fire crank, the journals are co-axial - the centers line up and it has one long journal that both rods attach to.
On the even-fire crankshaft, the journals are offset from each other, known as an 'offset crank'. They almost always have a thin flange between the journals.

They're a bit harder to distinguish when they're installed in the motor, but it can be done.

What you're looking for is whether the connecting rods are offset from each other.
Notice in the odd fire engine on the left that the circled connecting rods sit lined up very well with each other.

However, the even fire engine on the right, the circled connecting rods are visibly offset and the flange is visible between them. The little flange between the connecting rods is a dead giveaway that you're looking at an even-fire 'offset' crank.

I highly recommend that you document casting and part numbers every time you replace something on this motor, like a timing cover or a rear main seal. Dig that number up online and find out what it came from.

My observations:
I bring all this up because we have a preliminary ID of the motor as mid-70s Buick 231 Odd Fire. I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to post one of the pictures you sent in a PM:

In this picture, I see Dauntless 225 valve covers and a mid-70s Odd Fire HEI. I highly recommend checking the block and head casting numbers against the PDF I linked to earlier. Someone has modified this motor, but we don't know if it's Dauntless valve covers on a Buick 231, or a Buick 231 HEI installed on a Dauntless. This will likely be important down the road, especially if it turns out that the motor needs work on the internals.

I suppose it all boils down to the question of whether this motor actually ran as installed in this jeep. If it did, then initially the only thing you need to worry about is the engine casting number to tell you even or odd, Buick or Dauntless.

How deep did the P.O. go in modifying this engine to go into this jeep? You won't know until you have to start replacing parts. e.g.: the timing covers from the Buick Fireball 198, Dauntless, Buick 350 V8, and the Buick 231s all interchange. Since Buick sold rights to produce the motor to Land Rover, some land Rover parts actually interchange.

Drop me a line any time you'd like help and we'll get it sorted out.

Edited by LesBerg - 17 June 2018 at 3:29am
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2018 at 1:58am
The motor install looks solid and fairly well thought out, with one exception. The location of the electric fuel pump bothers me. If the fuel system develops a leak near that pump, it'll be leaking gas down the firewall to the top of the transmission and hot exhaust.

That would put a fuel fire directly under the front seats. It wouldn't take long for that to come up through the floor.

My electric pump is located near the stock mechanical pump location. Granted, a leak would still be very near the hot headers in mine, but it would be farther forward in the engine bay. I hope that it means that a fire is noticed a few seconds sooner, granting a little more time for everyone to bail out.

The trade-off for my setup is that I've had to deal with vapor lock issues. Hopefully, I have it covered. I'll find out next week when temps are back up in the 90s

Edited by LesBerg - 17 June 2018 at 2:05am
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
 Post Reply Post Reply