Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Experience as a Daily

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Experience as a Daily
    Posted: 12 Sep. 2022 at 4:03pm
For the past two weeks I've been driving the jeep to and from work/drill. It's more out of nessecity right now, but it's certainly been alot of fun for the most part. I can say I enjoy driving the back roads more than highway driving, even with an overdrive I don't like dealing with traffic. I have put close to 400 miles on it in just those few weeks

The engine sounds really good, however I want to try and clean my idle up some, it idles without choke now, but it could be smoother. I suspect it's do to an exhaust leak. The jeep has the MB exhaust with the flex pipe which I can feel leaking even if slightly. I also realized I'm missing the bracket that holds the pipe to the skid plate and this allows the pipe to rattle loudly at idle, contributing too the racket.

Having driven in the rain, I can say I enjoy that as well. I would like to work on my cowl seal some just to further "waterproof" everything behind it. It's not a good seal so water gets through unimpeded in some spots.

I am looking forward to changing out to the normal CJ head and bumping my CR up, even slightly. I never had issues with oil pressure, temp, or charging. It reliability starts, stops and shifts and I am having alot of fun with it. I belive the timing cover is leaking and I'd like to address that as well. Does the oil pan have to come off for that?

Edited by General Eisenhower - 12 Sep. 2022 at 4:04pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2022 at 2:09pm
I believe the oil pan does have to come off, or at the very least the front edge bolts that go into the timing cover.  The manual has oil pan removal before timing cover removal, but that part of the manual is assuming a full engine tear down. 

If I worked in the town I lived close to I could pull it off but I have to drive 50 miles to work and no matter what route you take the speed limit is 60-70.  

Edited by Downs - 13 Sep. 2022 at 2:10pm
1946...ish CJ2A
1976 CJ5
1995 XJ
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2022 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Downs Downs wrote:

I believe the oil pan does have to come off, or at the very least the front edge bolts that go into the timing cover.  The manual has oil pan removal before timing cover removal, but that part of the manual is assuming a full engine tear down. 

I had figured that; it's not the worst thing, I'd like to replace the cork seal with a felpro one anyway
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2022 at 3:03pm
The Felpro timing cover gasket kit comes with a partial pan gasket for just that front part of the pan that meets the timing cover. The idea being, you could just remove the bolts in the pan that go into the timing cover and cut that part of the pan gasket off then splice in the section in the kit without removing the entire pan. 
Pulling the pan would give you a better chance of a good seal at the pan, but you can just pull the timing cover without pulling the entire pan.
Here's a link to autozone's listing of the Felpro gasket set with a picture of the gasket section.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2022 at 3:29pm
While you have the pan off you might consider taking the oil sump off and cleaning the screen out and truing up the part where it connects to the block. The part tends to sag in the middle and can cause low oil pressure if the slump is bad enough.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2022 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

The Felpro timing cover gasket kit comes with a partial pan gasket for just that front part of the pan that meets the timing cover. The idea being, you could just remove the bolts in the pan that go into the timing cover and cut that part of the pan gasket off then splice in the section in the kit without removing the entire pan. 
Pulling the pan would give you a better chance of a good seal at the pan, but you can just pull the timing cover without pulling the entire pan.
Here's a link to autozone's listing of the Felpro gasket set with a picture of the gasket section.

I wish they would expand the Permadry line to more engines, especially our 134s and some of the old AMC V8s.  That line of gaskets/seals was one of the best things to ever happen to my XJ's 4.0
1946...ish CJ2A
1976 CJ5
1995 XJ
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2022 at 8:47pm
Daily driving that jeep is awesome. In the early 80’s my GPW was still in pieces.  The editor of the local paper used her MB for the daily commute and parked it on the street.  It was set up the same as yours with a summer top and NDT’s. She was in her 60’s then and I got to know she and her family through being jeep nutty.  Nice people. I suppose her commute was only a couple of miles and on 25mph roads. 

On the timing cover, I know I changed my timing chain once without dropping the pan. This was long ago and I had negative funds so preserving the gaskets was critical. Dabs of silicone were used at the corners. None of this was ideal but it had to work.  
Turned out the chain clattering was from the chain hitting a dent in the pan. 
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2022 at 1:04am
I'm gonna drop the pan when I change the  head, the cork gasket is a bit leaky anyway. Is there a seal around the crank shaft I can change? The oil is dripping from between the two front pulleys, I have a double pulley
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2022 at 7:20am
There's a one piece seal in the timing chain cover.  You'll have to pull the pulley and remove the timing chain cover to replace it. 
1946...ish CJ2A
1976 CJ5
1995 XJ
 Post Reply Post Reply